Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Los_Aztecas

Unpopular opinion: Trumps EO's are politically savvy and a huge win

I've given this more than a little thought since he signed them yesterday, and I remain conflicted. The actions are surely unconstitutional, illegal, and a massive over reach of the executive branches power. However this has the opportunity to provide real relief to Americans. Also I believe that the Democratic party cannot fight it on legal grounds without appearing callous and damaging themselves politically. He also bailed out a fractured and ineffective republican senate. Although it remains to see if the funding will work, if it does I can't see this as being anything other than a huge win for Trump and the Republican party.

18 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

I've given this more than a little thought since he signed them yesterday, and I remain conflicted. The actions are surely unconstitutional, illegal, and a massive over reach of the executive branches power. However this has the opportunity to provide real relief to Americans. Also I believe that the Democratic party cannot fight it on legal grounds without appearing callous and damaging themselves politically. He also bailed out a fractured and ineffective republican senate. Although it remains to see if the funding will work, if it does I can't see this as being anything other than a huge win for Trump and the Republican party.

Why would Democrats take it to court?  They can just sit in their offices and let Trump have to deliver what he promised to voters.  He can explain to voters why they need a $200 per week cut in unemployment, why they don't need another $1,200 stimulus, why he wants to defund social security, why the checks aren't going out, why he thinks he needs to play golf instead of negotiating.  It is time for this incompetent nincompoop to actually deliver on his promises.  He is authoritarian, but he is wildly incompetent, and these executive orders are already falling apart.  

At the end of the day, the authoritarian has to deliver what he promises, he needs to worry about the voters, not the courts.  He is practically begging Democrats to sue him but they won't take the bait. Maybe Amash or Sasse will sue him.

Posted Image

21 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Today's huge win will be tomorrows nightmare for them.

Look forward to Biden signing an EO for the "Green New Deal".

I'm honestly half expecting Trump himself to do that between now and November.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think there is a chance he legalizes Marijuana.  Honestly.  That is probably his best chance at winning reelection. 

I could see him wanting to do that, but won’t he need GOP support? If so, I doubt he’d get it.

5 minutes ago, RamSack said:

I could see him wanting to do that, but won’t he need GOP support? If so, I doubt he’d get it.

Yes and no.  He could sign an EO that would get the ball rolling, it would just take a while.  The quickest way is of course through congress.  But signing that EO would be worth about 5 points I would guess.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/mar/09/could-bernie-sanders-legalize-marijuana-executive-/

20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yes and no.  He could sign an EO that would get the ball rolling, it would just take a while.  The quickest way is of course through congress.  But signing that EO would be worth about 5 points I would guess.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/mar/09/could-bernie-sanders-legalize-marijuana-executive-/

From who? Would love to see him do it but really think it would be more of a loser than winner for him.

34 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think there is a chance he legalizes Marijuana.  Honestly.  That is probably his best chance at winning reelection. 

If Trump legalizes marijuana, I’ll spark one up in his honor as I mail in my thousands of stolen ballots. 

Guest #1Stunner
43 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You are right on this.

I sat in on a conference call last election, where voters got to ask the candidate questions.

I kid you not, 50 percent of the questions were about marijuana.   I think these people were 1 issue voters.  We have a lot of potheads in this Country, apparently. 

1 hour ago, Los_Aztecas said:

This is a disaster and it can't be allowed to stand.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Agreed, not sarcastically.

I don't think the Democrats have the stomach to fight it. They'll whine and cry until their guy gets in. Then  we welcome the new boss, same as the old.

19 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

I don't think the Democrats have the stomach to fight it. They'll whine and cry until their guy gets in. Then  we welcome the new boss, same as the old.

They shouldn’t want to fight it. The measures are inadequate to the troubles we face, even ignoring their unconstitutional process, and further attempts at compromise put the leverage on their side. This isn’t enough, if Trump can do this why isn’t he doing more, and he has to own it all. The argument that Democrats are holding the people suffering hostage just went out the window. 

And then when the new boss takes over who is left to oppose him? Politically cynical and a giant screw up is what this is.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

What would Biden do if Trump did come out and do this? It would probably be smart to just say that he supports legalization too but not via an EO.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

You are right on this.

I sat in on a conference call last election, where voters got to ask the candidate questions.

I kid you not, 50 percent of the questions were about marijuana.   I think these people were 1 issue voters.  We have a lot of potheads in this Country, apparently. 

With the amount of shit we've been through in the last 5 months expect a lot more to light up and try to forget this year ever happened. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

5 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I don’t think many voters are undecided at this point.. If you support Trump now there isn’t any amount of corruption or crime that will cost him your vote, and if you don’t legalizing weed won’t make up for everything else. In my opinion.

Yeah, I don't really see how he'd pick up any support. I really think he'd be more likely to lose a little from some older "devil weed rednecks"