Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

OK, So 2020 College Sports are Done. Now What?

While one set of questions about how to open are coming to a close we will soon see a whole new set of questions coming into focus. Some of the questions will seem the same like how do we open but that momentous question of today will be an afterthought this spring. The focus will shift to questions like:

What will be the eligibility of this year seniors? Do they get an extra year? Only seniors or all current athletes?

What do you do with incoming freshman as roster sizes are locked in?

Will all scholarships that are current and those currently offered be honored?

Many more Questions to come...

Those are the easy questions but there will be many more. Seeing as everything will eventually revolve around money how does this get financed onto of the current financial crisis? Somewhere, somehow someone is going to get screwed out of what was their opportunity for a higher education and future for themselves and their family. 1,000’s 

2 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

The economic, institutional, and societal fallout of this is being grossly underestimated.

The NFL is next. We seem to be following a Roman History script...

I think the NFL keeps rolling 

Related image

Like in the spring, I'd expect seniors will get an extra year.  Transfers who were going to sit out should have that year counted already.

All current scholarships honored.  Currently offered should be honored, if accepted.

Temporary roster expansions (across all fall sports).  

Just a WAG

Guest #1Stunner

College Kids doing remote learning (no students on campus).    They probably won't be finding any part time jobs, either. 

K-12 Kids doing remote / reduced learning (no students at schools, or a reduced schedule).   Kids doing Zoom all day.

No sporting events (one of the few things that bonds people of different backgrounds, is a huge part of the economy, and keeps people placated).

Reduced extra curricular for children (are children sports leagues not going forward this fall???? -- not sure).

My guess is that people will focus more on the election, become more agitated, and will riot more.   Doesn't look good.

Maybe this is what some people in power want to see happen??

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

If you want there to be football in the spring - or ever again for that matter - get vaccinated. 

Great.  Where can we all get vaccinated?

9 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

If you want there to be football in the spring - or ever again for that matter - get vaccinated. 

I will get vaccinated once the medical pros deem it safe.  I will not be taking medical advice from political types.

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Same place you get your flu shot, circa January 2021.

I get a Flu Shot every year.  I'm a big believer in Flu Shots.

But I'm not aware of any COVID Vaccine being approved yet.   Some reports say it is 2 years off. 

1 minute ago, DrBulldog said:

I will get vaccinated once the medical pros deem it safe.  I will not be taking medical advice from political types.

No question. I need to hear it from multiple medical experts that the vaccine is safe and effective. Everything I’m reading says we are on course for one by January. Fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I get a Flu Shot every year.  I'm a big believer in Flu Shots.

But I'm not aware of any COVID Vaccine being approved yet.   Some reports say it is 2 years off. 

Where are you reading that? I’ve not seen anything that says we shouldn’t expect one by January.

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

College Kids doing remote learning (no students on campus).    They probably won't be finding any part time jobs, either. 

K-12 Kids doing remote / reduced learning (no students at schools, or a reduced schedule).   Kids doing Zoom all day.

No sporting events (one of the few things that bonds people of different backgrounds, is a huge part of the economy, and keeps people placated).

Reduced extra curricular for children (are children sports leagues not going forward this fall???? -- not sure).

My guess is that people will focus more on the election, become more agitated, and will riot more.   Doesn't look good.

Maybe this is what some people in power want to see happen??

The fall sports for HS have been moved to winter around here and my youngest is playing youth soccer where they are having practices but not allowing games on Saturdays.  Dumb.

40 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

I think the NFL keeps rolling 

There are *tons* of college only towns that are pretty much +++++ed.

The NCAA didn't want to give Penn State the death penalty because of what it would do the surrounding community--but now there's tons of communities that are going to have like no employment for a lot longer.

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Where are you reading that? I’ve not seen anything that says we shouldn’t expect one by January.

Well, like you, I am hoping for the best.   We really need it.

There are so many conflicting reports on this.  I'd say an extreme best case scenario would be January.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51665497

When will we have a coronavirus vaccine?

A vaccine would normally take years, if not decades, to develop. Researchers hope to achieve the same amount of work in only a few months.

Most experts think a vaccine is likely to become widely available by mid-2021, about 12-18 months after the new virus, known officially as Sars-CoV-2, first emerged.

That would be a huge scientific feat and there are no guarantees it will work.

Four coronaviruses already circulate in human beings. They cause common cold symptoms and we don't have vaccines for any of them.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/30/opinion/coronavirus-covid-vaccine.html

Guest #1Stunner
22 minutes ago, Fowl said:

The fall sports for HS have been moved to winter around here and my youngest is playing youth soccer where they are having practices but not allowing games on Saturdays.  Dumb.

High School sports in Nevada are moved to March.   Not sure about California or Utah. 

Really dumb that they allow soccer practice, but not games.

This is really hurting kids. 

I feel bad for kids that are sitting home alone all day due to this virus.