Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrBulldog

Heart issues and Covid?

51 minutes ago, DrBulldog said:

I would be interested in the rate of this incidence.  Many common viruses cause myocarditis.  I'm not saying Covid is no worse than others, I'm saying that I haven't seen any reports that it is worse.  If we beat Covid, we're still not going to be bulletproof.

This came up in one our weekly conference calls with our medical director a couple weeks ago  not only has there been an increase in heart issues (notably cardiac arrest) but also strokes. There’s a lot to learn about this virus yet. 

Still looking for shit to be scared about.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Guest #1Stunner
17 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I would be interested in the rate of this incidence.  Many common viruses cause myocarditis.  I'm not saying Covid is no worse than others, I'm saying that I haven't seen any reports that it is worse.  If we beat Covid, we're still not going to be bulletproof.

Good point.

18 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Studies are still small.

But a German study released two weeks ago found in a group aged 45-53 the number with indications of problems were high:

In this cohort study including 100 patients recently recovered from COVID-19 identified from a COVID-19 test center, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging revealed cardiac involvement in 78 patients (78%) and ongoing myocardial inflammation in 60 patients (60%), which was independent of preexisting conditions, severity and overall course of the acute illness, and the time from the original diagnosis.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916

More studies are still needed though to really understand the incidence.