Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CPslograd

Inside sales

Inside sales gets no glory, but it is one of the most important attributes of a company.

The company I work for has the best inside sales team in the industry, it makes it a pleasure to work with them.  Makes my life easy, covers lots of gaps, and lets me go sell windows.  (up 50% year over year for the past 3 years btw!).  The company we bought, ISS is not a strong suit.  I sell that product too now and it's a lot more work. And sales growth is hard to come by.

I just ordered ATT internet for our new house.  We had ATT before, but there was a gap of a month and a half while we were remodeling, before we moved in our new house.  (I jumped the gun on getting tenants in our old house, had to wait for material for the remodel, and wound up having to move my family of five in with my mom for a month and a half.)  Anyway, the inside sales people at ATT have been good throughout the process, it's really the only reason I stuck with them rather than moving somewhere else.

Companies would do well to focus on hiring, training, and retention of quality inside sales people rather than spending extra money on marketing and promos.

6 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Inside sales gets no glory, but it is one of the most important attributes of a company.

The company I work for has the best inside sales team in the industry, it makes it a pleasure to work with them.  Makes my life easy, covers lots of gaps, and lets me go sell windows.  (up 50% year over year for the past 3 years btw!).  The company we bought, ISS is not a strong suit.  I sell that product too now and it's a lot more work. And sales growth is hard to come by.

I just ordered ATT internet for our new house.  We had ATT before, but there was a gap of a month and a half while we were remodeling, before we moved in our new house.  (I jumped the gun on getting tenants in our old house, had to wait for material for the remodel, and wound up having to move my family of five in with my mom for a month and a half.)  Anyway, the inside sales people at ATT have been good throughout the process, it's really the only reason I stuck with them rather than moving somewhere else.

Companies would do well to focus on hiring, training, and retention of quality inside sales people rather than spending extra money on marketing and promos.

I agree....   I worked for HPE for years and they were constantly laying off the inside sales team and moving inside sales to wherever the could extort the local government for tax savings.  They treated inside sales like shit and you can see it in their results.   

19 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I've heard the term but I still don't really understand... what is inside sales?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

I've heard the term but I still don't really understand... what is inside sales?

I've always understood it to cover sales tasks that are done 100% done from "inside" the office, such as online product demos, setting up meetings for field sales reps, pre- and after-sales support, etc. but I'm sure that definition varies quite a bit for different industries. 

6 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I've always understood it to cover sales tasks that are done 100% done from "inside" the office, such as online product demos, setting up meetings for field sales reps, pre- and after-sales support, etc. but I'm sure that definition varies quite a bit for different industries. 

So... telemarketers?

In most jobs I've been at --- and I've worked exclusively in IT --- inside sales refers to the sales team that does all of their work from inside the office. External sales are usually the ones that are heading to customer sites, giving presentations, demos, etc. Those are typically, at companies I've been at anyway, the "bigger" sales. In the era of COVID though, pretty much everyone is selling remotely. My company requires VP sign-off for any in-person sales meeting, and you'd better have a damn good reason. 

I actually just got off of my team's weekly forecasting call about 15 minutes ago. The team I'm on has exclusively inside salespeople, but they do work with external reps in the field on some combined deals across products. 

5 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Just now, retrofade said:

In most jobs I've been at --- and I've worked exclusively in IT --- inside sales refers to the sales team that does all of their work from inside the office. External sales are usually the ones that are heading to customer sites, giving presentations, demos, etc. Those are typically, at companies I've been at anyway, the "bigger" sales. In the era of COVID though, pretty much everyone is selling remotely. My company requires VP sign-off for any in-person sales meeting, and you'd better have a damn good reason. 

I actually just got off of my team's weekly forecasting call about 15 minutes ago. The team I'm on has exclusively inside salespeople, but they do work with external reps in the field on some combined deals across products. 

So "everyone in sales who isn't Willie Loman"?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

A territory manager is generally responsible for a certain set of accounts or a certain geography.  He is responsible for growing sales in the market.  Inside sales is who the customer deals with for quotes, orders, and day to day issues.

If a customer needs help with another party, like an architect or builder or homeowner, it's my deal.  When a customer places an order or needs help on how to price something or find out inventory, or order status, that's ISS.

Inside or outside, the coffee is for closers.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.