Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Another liberal hack piece “Friday night massacre”

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I get it. And this is not anywhere close to the first time I have heard your particular line of criticism ... this week. What I don't get in these discussions is a lot of acceptance of what I am saying, at least until a client pays me to help them understand how or why a particular journalist covered something or to help them better get their point across. 

And ultimately you keep saying how "the media" covered a particular issue. "the media" doesn't cover anything one way or with one voice. 

I am sure there is far more nuance to this than I am aware.  There are some fine journalists out there.  But there is also a lot of lazy thinking, click chasers, and yes, biased reporting.... and it can impact people and their livelihoods.  I use "the media" because it seem inevitable that a narrative gets formed and then you just don't hear much that does not conform.

Let me give you one more example.  About a year ago, the WSJ posted an article about how there was an alarming amount of credit card defaults in regional and community based banks.  The data was based on Federal Reserve data that categorizes banks based on asset sizes.  Sounds legit, and based on the Fed data it was true.  However, because Fed categorized banks based on assets, subprime credit card issuers like Merrick Bank and Credit One were categorized as Community/Regional banks.  All they have are credit card portfolios.  No car loans, no mortgages, etc.  And all of their portfolios are comprised of subprime customers.  Lots of losses (and fees).  They have huge credit card portfolios compared to portfolios that a typical community bank has.  They completely skewed the data and the reality is the exact opposite.  Community and Regional banks are very loss averse, generally have very credit worth portfolios, and have low losses.

It was not done on purpose, but it was done in ignorance.  I see it all the time when my industry is covered.  So, it definitely makes me wonder how accurate or researched stories are on other topics.  If they often get it wrong about things I know about, how do I trust they get it right on things I rely on them for?

On 8/9/2020 at 10:38 AM, robe said:

No argument here. But the govt needs to step up and start to fund it. The post office was in the middle of shutting down plants and congress stopped it. We were 2 weeks away from going to a 7 day delivery of packages but only 5 day delivering cheap ads. Govt shut that down. That would have saved probably over a billion dollars without reducing our service. You can wait till Monday to get your damn ad. If you have a package we will deliver it on Saturday. The Post Office is a hybrid organization. Congress decides what we are. They need make a decision what they want from us. They expect us to be self sufficient yet they don’t allow us any flexibility. Congress needs to either pony up or allow the post office to make reasonable cost cutting measure. I don’t not support the  privatization of the post office. Upper management is only doing what they are required to do. They are required by congress to be self sufficient. If a Postmaster general doesn’t try to be self sufficient they should be fired.

the article fails to even point out the Postmaster is in tough situation and only doing what he is required to do, unless Congress acts.  The Postmaster general is doing his job. Instead they write an article that is a lying hit piece. 

Those issues fall squarely on Congress.

Bill Moyers writing a Left leaning piece should be no more upsetting then Alex Jones declaring that Hillary and Michelle have girthier packages than the whole of the MWCBoard.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 8/9/2020 at 12:05 PM, Los_Aztecas said:

I agree that people should be discerning about what they consume and question motives as well as implicit bias. "Assuming everything is false" is just a republican talking point that Trump co-opted. If you tear down trust in institutions and replace it with trust in yourself you can get people to believe anything. 

Stop trusting your Guv Institutions. Don't trust the MSM, but you can trust our media. Believe in me. Believe in the Party. I will save you from the .........

How many extremist-populist Pols have said that since 1916 ?

Americans Mayor

On 8/10/2020 at 7:34 AM, BYUcougfan said:

This happens all of the time.  I just laugh when they write about my industry (electronic payments).  Oh those poor merchants going broke because they accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.

How much do you charge the merchant per swipe ?

I can understand why merchants have minimum amounts 

Americans Mayor

On 8/10/2020 at 8:02 AM, BYUcougfan said:

I am not a media expert, but I am an expert in electronic payments.  I know when I read something on it whether the writer knows what he/she is writing about or is just parroting political/industry talking points.  Just because a journalist might spend a few weeks researching a story or an industry does not make them an expert in the field.  It is just hubris to think otherwise.  If our media were better at just presenting the facts from all sides, then I would be fine....even if they don't get it right all the time.  But they want to pick sides.  I will use my industry as an example.  The media definitely picked sides 10 year ago when Dick Durbin was looking to regulate the payment networks on debit interchange.  Durbin was fighting the evil banks to lower prices for the people by limiting the fees banks could charge merchants for debit swipe fees.  That amendment is still hailed as a win for the people.  The reality is that the merchants pocketed the money....prices did not come down.  The reality was the debit swipe fees (which the banks made a lot of money on) funded free checking accounts lower income people had access to.  Checking accounts don't make banks much, if any profit, but debit cards did.  It also funded free rewards on those debit transactions.  Free checking accounts went away and the media demonized the banks for that as well....never making the connection.  The media definitely pushed the Durbin/regulator narrative, as they often do, because government action/regulation is something tangible they can see.  Something has been done!

Why am I not surprised that the merchants pocketed the money ?

Americans Mayor