46 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Life is full of trade offs..

I think players will get paid at some point soon..

The big schools can and will pay out of their profits..No problem

Mid and low majors will pay less because they have less profit to use

The first thing they will do is raise ticket prices to help defray some of the cost

The next thing they will do is cut scholarships, both in numbers and in roster sizes..

The days of 75 scholarship guys on a football team will be over.

The next thing will be cutting programs..That has started already.

The last thing will be hundreds of schools no longer having athletics..

That is the worst case but in my opinion the most likely outcome...

Personally, I am not opposed to players getting paid.  I find their arguments compelling and reasonable.

When they do get paid it will be a good thing for those players.

On the other hand..Lot's of kids who don't land in P-5 schools may not get an athletic scholarship

or any compensation at all.

Players will get paid and it will further separate the top P5s from everyone else.  And that's probably not a bad thing when it comes to college football.  The model wasn't meant to have an average G5 team compete at the highest level once the cable money went thru the roof.  Now add to that actually paying of players, not just scholarships, and it really makes little sense.  Why is basketball different?  In basketball, one or two players can literally put a team on their shoulders and compete at a top 10 or top 20 level.  Not so in football and that gets back to resources.  it will be interesting to watch unfold, but if the flood gates are opened with pay to play,  let the top 30-50 programs run with it.  At that point it will be no different then top G5 programs scheduling mid level FCS teams.  

I am fine with paying players.  If everyone else around them can cash in,  from the local businesses that sell merchandise to the restaurants by the stadiums, and coaches can get paid literally millions a year at the top schools,  then let the guys busting their bodies up get some cash too.  The scholarships will pay off later with good jobs assuming they use them to get a solid degree, but they should also get money now for playing and let them start growing their wealth.  

30-40 years ago malls were built with a Sears on one end and JCPenney on the other in small town America.  They might as well put those pictures in a museum now.  College football is no different.  Big money has forever changed the game.  The players want their piece of the pie.  Who can blame them?  It just won't make sense to keep the average G5 team and the average P5 team in the same division anymore.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nashvillepoke said:

There is no way colleges can afford for all player to organize.  This will be the death of college sports. 

The truly sad thing is this will kill the opportunities to get an education for untold numbers of disadvantaged kids. 

Killing the thing that you love...

13 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

I also love when people talk about unreasonable demands from players who are asking for less than they would get if the contract resembled the NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB deals. All while paying 100s of dollars to watch kids who don't have the cash in their pocket to buy their own Jersey off the online store.

It

Not that I disagree, but each NFL team's share of the TV contract alone is greater than the total revenue brought in by the highest total athletic department revenue university in the nation (Texas). 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I think players will get paid at some point soon..

The big schools can and will pay out of their profits..No problem

Mid and low majors will pay less because they have less profit to use

The first thing they will do is raise ticket prices to help defray some of the cost

The next thing they will do is cut scholarships, both in numbers and in roster sizes..

The days of 75 scholarship guys on a football team will be over.

The next thing will be cutting programs..That has started already.

The last thing will be hundreds of schools no longer having athletics..

That is the worst case but in my opinion the most likely outcome...

Personally, I am not opposed to players getting paid.  I find their arguments compelling and reasonable.

When they do get paid it will be a good thing for those players.

On the other hand..Lot's of kids who don't land in P-5 schools may not get an athletic scholarship

or any compensation at all.

75 scholarships is way too many anyway. Should have been cut a long time ago.

"Iron Man" is a song written and performed by the English heavy metal band Black Sabbath, released on their 1970 album Paranoid. The lyrics tell the story of a man who time travels into the future and sees the apocalypse. In the process of returning to the present he is turned into steel by a magnetic field, and his attempts to warn the public are ignored and mocked. Feeling shunned and alone, Iron Man plans his revenge on mankind, causing the apocalypse seen in his vision.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_(song)

• Cheers 1
1 hour ago, Koji Vu said:

Not that I disagree, but each NFL team's share of the TV contract alone is greater than the total revenue brought in by the highest total athletic department revenue university in the nation (Texas). 

Again they want a percentage, they aren't asking for the same pay.

Also that revenue doesn't take into account the economic driver that is high level athletics in alum donations beyond the individual sports or athletic departments. Nor does it include the commercial value Texas gets with an almost four hour commercial on fox national tv, on the weekend when lots of potential students could see it. They didn't even hint at wanting some of that.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

75 scholarships is way too many anyway. Should have been cut a long time ago.

Always good to talk about the intricate details of a complicated issue with such well informed people who have a profound amount of knowledge on the subject and can offer up simple easy answers that will prove effective.

FBS permits 85 scholarships

FCS permits 63 divided up by not more than 85 individual players.

14 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

Yes, they were ruled against by the labor board. They intended to take it to court but never got it there. The labor board union lawyer was quoted as saying it seemed unlikely the court would decide in the boards favor if it went to court.

I also love when people talk about unreasonable demands from players who are asking for less than they would get if the contract resembled the NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB deals. All while paying 100s of dollars to watch kids who don't have the cash in their pocket to buy their own Jersey off the online store.

It you can't keep your business running with out blatantly exploiting people maybe you shouldn't be in business. 

Those kids are producing billions in economic impact between media, game day money, the surrounding business in the community, the bars across this country where people watch, etc. Risking injury and life long complications in exchange for one year of education since scholarships are year to year. Yeah they sound very unreasonable.

I believe the NLRB ruled they (Northwestern) were not permitted to do this because they were a private university not a publicly owned university. Is this not  essentially the ruling?  Is there someone on this site who saved any of the many posts and articles written on this matter? If so please comment.

Baseball and Hockey have developmental leagues at many levels and are successful.  NCAA and television have destroyed college athletics.  NFL and NBA should be forming developmental leagues or supplementing the colleges in order to keep the sports afloat.  Let the big leagues bear the cost of their recruiting grounds.  College sports are theoretically “Amateur” athletics where a person could Obtain an education as a result of their athletic ability but it has been bastardized.  Many of the student athletes have no desire to pursue the academics.  I get it though.....you need the college tie in in order to keep the alumni and fans interested at the developmental level and the NFL and NBA keep their profits and have zero accountability in the development of their future stars.

I would like to see college football go back to a more true amateur status, i.e., no pay OTHER than the scholarship and associated training table, travel, housing, medical, etc. as has been traditionally included.

I do believe that the Powers That Be are exploiting college athletes, I'm of the opinion that it's not as black and white (on either side) as the posters on this board are making it.

College football participation is voluntary and I believe that the NFL should have a developmental league, so if that hypothetically were to happen, I would still love to have college football (separate from the NFL D-League) almost assuredly with lesser-skilled STUDENT/athletes. With all that, let me use this extreme analogy for the demands of some of the players:

Having a Facebook account is voluntary.  Facebook provides all the software/servers to support this voluntary activity.  They then turn around and exploit all Facebook users who are posting, liking, following, etc. by selling advertising!  OMG! You should be paid a percentage of Facebook's revenue for having a Facebook account! :ph34r:

The system is definitely broke. It may be time to demolish the system, rather than meeting the demands and continuing down the road of a semi-pro, college-financed operation.

3 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

College football participation is voluntary and I believe that the NFL should have a developmental league, so if that hypothetically were to happen, I would still love to have college football (separate from the NFL D-League) almost assuredly with lesser-skilled STUDENT/athletes

Agree wholeheartedly.👍

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I could care less. Go ahead pay the players whatever you want. It will just speed up the breaking up of the NCAA (which is going to happen regardless). 

Some schools (40-50 or so) will just break off and form a new division. They will be the only ones that can afford to pay players. I can ignore that division. The rest of use (including the whole MW) will take our peanuts (in terms of revenue/tv money) and keep the old system. We will add the upper 1/3rd or so of fcs and carry on. We will have the true college football experience. The top 40-50 division will be a semi-pro league. 

20 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I never thought I would say anything like this. ...but sports in general is becoming tiresome. The fun has been sucked out. 

Watching the evolution definitely, but it’s still fun to participate. 

The schools hold all the cards. They just recruit kids who are willing to play for what's on offer.

It's only about more than COVID if administrators allow it to be more than COVID.

The NFL damn sure isn't going to start and fund a football G-league.

11 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

NHL teams have 81 million dollar salary caps. They also bring in less TV money then SEC and B1G schools. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

NHL teams have 81 million dollar salary caps. They also bring in less TV money then SEC and B1G schools. 

Aren't they playing their games in Canada, a land with a competent national government? (They have a handle on their Covid-19 problem)

It's interesting to note that their 81 million dollar salary cap is larger than the total revenue for any G5 school.

44 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Aren't they playing their games in Canada, a land with a competent national government? (They have a handle on their Covid-19 problem)

It's interesting to note that their 81 million dollar salary cap is larger than the total revenue for any G5 school.

My point was really just to highlight how much TV money the top two conferences bring in in comparison to pro teams. Even the other P5 schools outperform a lot of NHL teams when it comes to TV money. And then you have a league like the MLS which has a salary cap of 4.2 million, and most teams bring in less TV money then AAC schools, for example.

It’s just becoming harder and harder to justify the current system where the players don’t receive a portion of the revenue they help generate. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

It’s just becoming harder and harder to justify the current system where the players don’t receive a portion of the revenue they help generate. 

Players at the D1 level receive over 200,000 dollars in benefits to play a game over the course of 5 years of eligibility.  Let’s stop with the misinformation.  

• Haha 1