So there ya go. Discuss. I personally think there will be a lot of schools leaving the FBS otn the next two or three years. If schools can't afford Covid testing weekly which is supposedly the reason the MAC cancelled, no way they can afford to pay players and meet unrealistic demands.

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Didn’t Northwestern try to unionize a few years back and were told it wasn’t legal? 

It wouldn’t suprise me if they weren’t recognized..

I doubt labor law protections extend to scholarshipped athletes.

I don't watch P5 football. It doesn't matter to me if they want to break off and do their own thing. They already do for the most part.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

The nfl needs to step in here if they want to keep their free developmental league.

It will...

It's funny, the NFL, one of the most evil entities in the world, might actually prevent the decay of CFB...

20xfyv.jpg

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Didn’t Northwestern try to unionize a few years back and were told it wasn’t legal? 

Yes, they were ruled against by the labor board. They intended to take it to court but never got it there. The labor board union lawyer was quoted as saying it seemed unlikely the court would decide in the boards favor if it went to court.

I also love when people talk about unreasonable demands from players who are asking for less than they would get if the contract resembled the NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB deals. All while paying 100s of dollars to watch kids who don't have the cash in their pocket to buy their own Jersey off the online store.

It you can't keep your business running with out blatantly exploiting people maybe you shouldn't be in business. 

Those kids are producing billions in economic impact between media, game day money, the surrounding business in the community, the bars across this country where people watch, etc. Risking injury and life long complications in exchange for one year of education since scholarships are year to year. Yeah they sound very unreasonable.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JoeBlo said:

Yes, they were ruled against by the labor board. They intended to take it to court but never got it there. The labor board union lawyer was quoted as saying it seemed unlikely the court would decide in the boards favor if it went to court.

I also love when people talk about unreasonable demands from players who are asking for less than they would get if the contract resembled the NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB deals. All while paying 100s of dollars to watch kids who don't have the cash in their pocket to buy their own Jersey off the online store.

It you can't keep your business running with out blatantly exploiting people maybe you shouldn't be in business. 

Those kids are producing billions in economic impact between media, game day money, the surrounding business in the community, the bars across this country where people watch, etc. Risking injury and life long complications in exchange for one year of education since scholarships are year to year. Yeah they sound very unreasonable.

The solution is very simple. No one is twisting the players arms to play college football. It’s the players choice. Don’t go to college, and get the NFL to organize and develop your own league where you can get paid. However, I wouldn’t expect crowds of 50,000 to come and watch minor league football. They will likely be 3,000-4,000 like minor league baseball and most will make $1,000-2,000 a month. 

Instead of several hundred colleges giving 15,000- 20,000 high school players a scholarship, there will be 32 teams (one for each NFL franchise) of 50 or so players on each team. The remaining players, that previously were given scholarships, last games will be their senior years of high school and either have to pay to go to college, or join the working world. I say go for it, what do you have to lose?

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Rich, old men will always control this country, but events like these will help balance things a bit. A tiny bit, but it’s something. 

Those that have the gold make the rules. If you want to make the rules become a rich old man. 

5 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Some people (not necessarily here) are lauding players for leveraging the situation in an attempt to benefit them.  What leverage do players actually have? None as far as I can tell.  

Just pull their scholarships, and tell them to GTFOff campus...

Don't need a second pro league, and these entitled turds need to ask whether a free ride college education is worth it...

If not, I'm sure there's all sorts of training videos at Wendy's, Burger King, etc., where such players can still learn and ply a trade...

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

Lol very sports oriented in here. Very pro exploitation. Very fire them all kill the union from you.

Watch how this works out for Rolo pulling those two kids scholarships, because I know a lot of athletes who will be hurrying up to sign with coaches like that. Never mind the public back lash when people learn why, or the issues that the institution will have to deal with internally. You think yelling and calling players names are bad, how is Joe and Jill Suburb going to feel about a college pulling scholarships because kids felt unsafe playing in a pandemic. Are they going to send their kids to that sort of place?

What leverage do they have? Lol have you read this board? The sports world is losing its mind they may not be able to play this year. Did you forget the billions of dollars they generate in little college towns every saturday? 

Also taking a year off will only make this worse, the kids will talk, connect, plan over that year. People will be desperate for college football, look how bad it is now. Imagine when fall practices start and none of the athletes show up. Not in football or any other sport.

The old method of exploiting is over.

There is no way colleges can afford for all player to organize.  This will be the death of college sports. 

The truly sad thing is this will kill the opportunities to get an education for untold numbers of disadvantaged kids. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, nashvillepoke said:

There is no way colleges can afford for all player to organize.  This will be the death of college sports. 

The truly sad thing is this will kill the opportunities to get an education for untold numbers of disadvantaged kids. 

This reminds me of when the NFL ran around telling everyone they couldn't meet the players demands. Or the NBA. Or MLB. 

This is exactly what they always say, meanwhile we got presidents, coaches, etc making millions. All while seeing boosts in applications and students from sports performances.

Everyone realizes none of that with out the kids right?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the SEC and B1G claiming how it would hurt financially if they don't have a season and teams such as New Mexico and Boise State can do it and they make 1% of those schools.

I guess Boise can pay players in potato's and New Mexico can play players in meth and sand.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

Truth

I might have missed if it was posted, but this is an excellent article.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29590644/why-pac-12-protest-showing-blueprint-future-college-football-progress

There will be plenty of players who decide not to partake in the boycott, which is fine. If anything, that's just further evidence the players who are participating are doing what's uncomfortable. But they're doing what's necessary for progress, for current players and those in the future.

Because when it comes to making progress on racial injustice (or anything else) in America, that has been the only thing that has ever worked.

College football isn't going to be any different.

Life is full of trade offs..

I think players will get paid at some point soon..

The big schools can and will pay out of their profits..No problem

Mid and low majors will pay less because they have less profit to use

The first thing they will do is raise ticket prices to help defray some of the cost

The next thing they will do is cut scholarships, both in numbers and in roster sizes..

The days of 75 scholarship guys on a football team will be over.

The next thing will be cutting programs..That has started already.

The last thing will be hundreds of schools no longer having athletics..

That is the worst case but in my opinion the most likely outcome...

Personally, I am not opposed to players getting paid.  I find their arguments compelling and reasonable.

When they do get paid it will be a good thing for those players.

On the other hand..Lot's of kids who don't land in P-5 schools may not get an athletic scholarship

or any compensation at all.

Life is full of trade offs..

• Like 1