Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

B1G looking at cancelling the fall season

On 8/8/2020 at 9:06 AM, soupslam1 said:

Because Hair Thompson doesn’t have a clue what to do. 

I can't blast Hair on this one.  Twas a rare exception where silence and letting others make the first move was a good thing.  Once you postpone fall sports - ala the Ivy, Patriot and A10 - it's difficult to reverse course.  So holding on until the absolute last minute was the right call.

Will a fall without football and olympic sports impact the MWC, even if they were moved to spring??  Who knows.

5 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

The PAC-12 was gonna cancel because the Cali schools was experiencing a big outbreak at the time in their cities but the B1G beat them to an announcement when they went conference only with their schedule. The PAC-12 ended up doing the same thing. They knew of they did not lay a year and the other P5 did they would fall farther behind.

Yea I just don’t understand why you take every thread about any conference doing anything regarding COVID as an opportunity to bitch about the Pac-12. 

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

What info is needed? We know everything. We also know there is no trestment and it there was, the left wouldn't allow the CDC to release it til Trump is no longer in office.

People gather in large groups every day. There is no prevention. I was in Portland two weeks ago. If that is an indication of every major US city then there is nothing people can do to not get sick but stay home and starve to death.

So the left has control of the CDC?

LOL, how did that happen. Watch out Obama still might take your guns away.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

Just because thats where we are...

Another 'report' on Sportscenter deemed it 'not likely' that there would be a B10 vote on cancelling.

To be continued...

its simply amazing to me that a couple of conferences recognizing that health far outweighs sporting activities and want to have contingency plans somehow has lodged panties deep up some crevices. 

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

So you got nothing? I figured as much.

its okay to hate. 

I hate the SEC. I think their normal 8 game regular conference is bullshit, and their status gets inflated because they typically play 3 non-conference games they have no business scheduling.  And if they had their way this year, they say f*ck COVID-19 and they'd play in full stadiums with no precautions.  

just admit it that you dislike the PAC-12

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

I don't like any P5 conference. On my honest opinion the new system has hurt the G5 teams and football isn't as much fun as it used to be. The PAC-12 is just closer so it's easier to her irritated by them. You know what the difference is between Moscow, Idaho and Pullman, Washington? Nothing.

fair enough

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

PAC12 following the B1G?!?!?!

not sure why, but those two conferences seem to think they are in sync (I assume with the long-standing Rose Bowl tie in).  Sadly, the B1G has sort of left the PAC-12 in their rear view mirror in $$$, hoops and football. 

:shrug:

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

not sure why, but those two conferences seem to think they are in sync (I assume with the long-standing Rose Bowl tie in).  Sadly, the B1G has sort of left the PAC-12 in their rear view mirror in $$$, hoops and football. 

"In sync"

The perception is that the BIG is a Tier 1 P5 Conference, and that the PAC12 is a Tier 2 P5 Conference that simply follows the B1G.

The B1G is all massive, 

The Rose Bowl is for the PAC12 Blue Bloods---UCLA, USC, CAL, STANFORD, OREGON, WASHINGTON

I mean, look at the enrollments.  The B1G has massive, State Universities that are like double in enrollment (and prestige) of most of the PAC12 schools (excluding of course Stanford, UCLA, USC, CAL, WASHINGTON)

Member schools[edit]

Members[edit]

Institution Location Founded Joined Type Enrollment Nickname Colors
East Division
Indiana University Bloomington, Indiana 1820 1899[fm 1] Public 43,710 Hoosiers          
University of Maryland College Park, Maryland 1856 2014 41,200 Terrapins                    
University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Michigan 1817 1896[fm 2] 46,002 Wolverines          
Michigan State University East Lansing, Michigan 1855 1950[fm 3] 50,019 Spartans          
Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio 1870 1912 61,170 Buckeyes          
Pennsylvania State University (Penn State) State College, Pennsylvania 1855 1990[fm 4] 47,307 Nittany Lions          
Rutgers University–New Brunswick (Rutgers) New BrunswickPiscataway,
New Jersey
1766 2014 40,720 Scarlet Knights     
West Division
University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana, Illinois 1867 1896 Public 49,339 Fighting Illini          
University of Iowa Iowa City, Iowa 1847 1899[fm 5] 33,334[6] Hawkeyes          
University of Minnesota Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota 1851 1896 51,327 Golden Gophers          
University of Nebraska Lincoln, Nebraska 1869 2011 25,820 Cornhuskers          
Northwestern University Evanston, Illinois 1851 1896 Private, non-sectarian 21,208 Wildcats          
Purdue University West Lafayette, Indiana 1869 1896 Public 43,411 Boilermakers          
University of Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin 1848 1896 44,413 Badgers          

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

"In sync"

The perception is that the BIG is a Tier 1 P5 Conference, and that the PAC12 is a Tier 2 P5 Conference that simply follows the B1G.

The B1G is all massive, 

The Rose Bowl is for the PAC12 Blue Bloods---UCLA, USC, CAL, STANFORD, OREGON, WASHINGTON

I mean, look at the enrollments.  The B1G has massive, State Universities that are like double in enrollment (and prestige) of most of the PAC12 schools (excluding of course Stanford, UCLA, USC, CAL, WASHINGTON)

both conference went to conference only 10 games schedules within days of each other (B1G first)

PAC-12 came out with their player demands, the B1G followed shortly

For whatever reason these two conference are in league with each other

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Del Scorcho said:

both conference went to conference only 10 games schedules within days of each other (B1G first)

PAC-12 came out with their player demands, the B1G followed shortly

For whatever reason these two conference are in league with each other

The PAC12 ought to save some money, and fire Larry Scott.

They can then hire a deputy commissioner, whose sole job is to call the B1G Commissioner and ask what the PAC12 should do.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7396843/big-ten-pac-12-grow-scheduling-partnership

The Pac-12 and Big Ten have agreed to a long-term interconference scheduling "collaboration" that, if successful, could have far-reaching ramifications for both of their memberships.

Likely beginning as early as next year, the Pac-12 and Big Ten are going to significantly reconfigure their future football, basketball and Olympic sports schedules to feature games between their combined 24 member schools.

Guest #1Stunner
32 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Yes, we remember that.

Michigan immediately scheduled Utah (trying to find what they thought was an easier opponent).    Foolish of Michigan to think that...

Then Utah fans pounded their collective chests telling everyone that Michigan really wanted to schedule Utah.

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

Probably the top 2 academic conferences overall.  They tend to think alike