Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

B1G looking at cancelling the fall season

Looks like things are starting to happen

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Any sane person can see the hand writing on the wall. Football is not going to happen until an effective vaccine is developed. 

Yeah I've been about 50/50 split between no season, or an attempted season that has to be scrapped a few weeks in.

That's no longer a 50/50 split

8 minutes ago, sebasour said:

These presidents have a lot bigger worries than intercollegiate sports. Maintaining enrollment, not laying off hundreds of professors,  and keeping the virus from spreading thru the student body are at the top of the list.

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Covid is still gonna be a thing in spring. If they don't play this fall then I highly doubt the situation will get better by March. We may be looking at no college football til next September.

A lot will happen between now and then. I think if this happens college football will look a lot different come next September.

Why is the MWC so quite is what I'm wondering.

Because Hair Thompson doesn’t have a clue what to do. 

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Because Hair Thompson doesn’t have a clue what to do. 

Thats simply not true. Im sure there are any number of things he’s prepared to give Boise st to make things better

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

I think it's because the Presidents, not the Commish, make the final call. The Commish' duty is probably to make sure the conference is ready to go if allowed.

That said, there's no need to rush this decision. Get as much info as you can, get practices in, and cancel in mid-Sept if needed.

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Let's say the MAC, B1G and PAC-12 doesn't play but everyone else does. Besides the obvious (A 4 team SEC playoff), how do you determine the champions and how do teams prevent mass transfers?

This entire season has a huge asterisk.

The champion won't matter.  Neither will any conference championship.

The transfer thing is a pending clusterfu... 

Maybe Twitter doesnt have a 'source' inside Craig Thompson's office.  Because thats where the bulk of the chatter comes from these days.  About the only commissioner you worry about stampeding someone to get to a mic is Don Aresco.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The MAC just announced that they're canceling the 2020 season. First FBS domino to fall. 

11 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

What info is needed? We know everything. We also know there is no trestment and it there was, the left wouldn't allow the CDC to release it til Trump is no longer in office.

People gather in large groups every day. There is no prevention. I was in Portland two weeks ago. If that is an indication of every major US city then there is nothing people can do to not get sick but stay home and starve to death.

LOL. If we had a competent President of the United States of America who took his job seriously we'd be in the same position as Europe right now - opening up.

That said, USL teams are playing right now. A few games have been cancelled, but most have been played. Will it work out? We don't know, but another month of gathering data from them or other professional leagues will help make a final decision. In the meantime, the teams can get in practices so they can improve for 2021.

IMO, I'm ready to hit the fast forward button and get to 2022 so I can watch games in the new Aztec Stadium. We'll have either found a cure or hit herd immunity by then. ;)

13 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Well look who just woke up.

What? What happened? What did I miss? What day is it?  I've been awake for hours, but I did just did turn on the tv and they literally said "this just in", which I didn't even know happened anymore, so I thought I would kick down the door here, post it, and people would carry me out on their shoulders and stuff for being so damned informative. That is where this is going, right? 

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

The PAC-12 never intended to play this year. Im starting to think it's gonna be spring and I hate that. Winter in the northeastern Oregon mountains with no football sounds horrible.

blink-182 wtf GIF

What does the Pac 12 have to do with the B1G potentially cancelling there season? 

Just because thats where we are...

Another 'report' on Sportscenter deemed it 'not likely' that there would be a B10 vote on cancelling.

To be continued...

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

blink-182 wtf GIF

What does the Pac 12 have to do with the B1G potentially cancelling there season? 

where one goes, so goes the other.  Been that way for decades.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

where one goes, so goes the other.  Been that way for decades.

I get that, but the B1G is the one (potentially) making this move first, so I don’t really get why he is shoehorning the Pac-12 in to the convo.