Ibanez

MAC Suspends Football Season. Hopes to play in the Spring

35 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Also LA Tech dropped the game at UNLV.

related....and funny....

In the summer of 2013, at his inaugural press conference, Louisiana–Monroe's new athletic director, Brian Wickstrom, announced his intention to play Louisiana Tech in football every year.[15] In a press conference with a local newspaper, Dr. Les Guice, Louisiana Tech's president, indicated that an offer would not be heavily considered, as the future out-of-conference schedule was full.[16] Louisiana Tech's new athletic director Tommy McClelland confirmed that Tech would not pursue any games with Louisiana–Monroe, as they are "grow[ing] a national brand" and that playing Louisiana–Monroe could not help Louisiana Tech accomplish that goal.

La Tech and ULaMon just announced a 11/21 game in Shreveport.

Honestly, at this point since it seems so many MWC teams are having trouble finding replacement games and since the players don't wanna play outside of the conference footprint they should just do conference only which was their very first choice to begin with. Or at the least just have teams play other teams in the conference and count those as OOC games.

The MWC could easily schedule a full round robin, with the exception of AFA who would need an additional game to accommodate Army and Navy.  I said "schedule".  I think it's easy to schedule a round robin, but may be impossible to actually play one.

UMass is done from everything being reported. This is not the non bottom feeding G5 team reported to be turning it in, that appears to be NIU.

The MAC is probably done. Sunbelt may be too and didn't have as many of the buy out games CUSA did to make the long shot buy outs worth it.

CUSA may have some teams not play. Earlier scenario of AAC picking up games as the +1 and maybe BYU stealing a couple are back in play.

MW is too isolated to likely benefit, the PAC being the only western P5 hurts. Smart move here is conference only with AFA exception for CIC trophy.

Well boys and girls cancel your FCS games. The MVC just postponed till spring which means the NCAA threshold of 50% is basically met and the season is shut down.

all it shuts down is the playoffs.  Nothing stopping anybody from playing a money game or two in the fall for the workout, then getting ready for a spring conference season.  Doesnt mean its going to happen that way, but money talks.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Honestly, at this point since it seems so many MWC teams are having trouble finding replacement games and since the players don't wanna play outside of the conference footprint they should just do conference only which was their very first choice to begin with. Or at the least just have teams play other teams in the conference and count those as OOC games.

Yep.   9 game season and a championship game and be done.  Give AF a navy/army as subs for the out of division play

1 minute ago, RSF said:

all it shuts down is the playoffs.  Nothing stopping anybody from playing a money game or two in the fall for the workout, then getting ready for a spring conference season.  Doesnt mean its going to happen that way, but money talks.

Sure, there are around 50 FCS teams left. Many won't have students on campus and won't have any other sports playing, but I'm sure the school will be fine with the football teams travelling across state lines to play for a paycheck. I'm sure the NCAA will be fine with it too if they allow spring football, they are well known for not being arbitrary and capricious.

4 minutes ago, Billings said:

Yep.   9 game season and a championship game and be done.  Give AF a navy/army as subs for the out of division play

Just make an exception, tell them to play Army and Navy first of one at the begging and end of the season. Put a buy week in between the last game and championship. It's two extra games AFA wants and might help the MWC in strength of schedule.

Since I haven't been able to find out anything interesting today I went to that other board for news. Seems ESPN thinks a G5 school "Not an Indy or bottom feeder" is cancelling their season tomorrow. The school is not in the MAC either since the MAC is probably cancelling (According to ESPN's commentators.)

Hawaii is that boards best guess and that guess is as good as any.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Since I haven't been able to find out anything interesting today I went to that other board for news. Seems ESPN thinks a G5 school "Not an Indy or bottom feeder" is cancelling their season tomorrow. The school is not in the MAC either since the MAC is probably cancelling (According to ESPN's commentators.)

Hawaii is that boards best guess and that guess is as good as any.

@kalua pig, @HawaiiMongoose, @Mano, @Warbow, @ShoichiKUN808

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

You're really gonna release @Warbow to unleash Hell on the board? 

I didn't realize @Warbow was locked down. Granted, it might not be a bad idea....but he is one of the Hawaiian contingency. So , as an optimist, I thought he might bring some inside info on the ' Hawaii ' might cancel the season perspective . But, you could very well be right....I'm rolling the dice. 

4 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I didn't realize @Warbow was locked down. Granted, it might not be a bad idea....but he is one of the Hawaiian contingency. So , as an optimist, I thought he might bring some inside info on the ' Hawaii ' might cancel the season perspective . But, you could very well be right....I'm rolling the dice. 

No. Warbow is a few fries short of a Happy Meal. Seriously, If Hawaii doesn't play, Wyoming and Boise State will be to blame. Guarantee it. 

Pretty sure the g5 team being discussed as dropping is NIU. They have a NY6 under their belt (not a bottom feeder) and word is that they need buy games to keep the show going. No buy games means it may not be worth it for them to play. A bare bones spring season with some fans might work; but a fall with no fans and no buy games is a not happening on their budget.

I will say UNM and NMST are looking very suspect and UMass will be announce they are done by early next week.

UH announced today that the beginning of football training camp is on hold:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/08/07/sports/sports-breaking/university-of-hawaii-delays-opening-of-football-training-camp-indefinitely/

However the explanation being given is that there's no rush to start a four-week training camp given that the beginning of the season still seven weeks away:

There is no urgency to expand workouts. The COVID-19 pandemic led to the cancellation of UH’s first four games, including what would have been the season opener against Arizona on Aug. 24. This week, the Mountain West Conference, of which UH is a football-only affiliate, ruled that league teams cannot begin play until Sept. 26. The Warriors are tentatively scheduled to open the 2020 season against Robert Morris University on Sept. 26 at Aloha Stadium.

In the meantime strength and conditioning training for the players will continue.

• Like 1