mugtang

We Are United - Mountain West Athletes

2 hours ago, Slapdad said:

The same reason that any employer doesn’t cover medical expenses for former employers for five years after they’ve left a job. Medical expenses are expensive for starters. Second, why should a school be on the hook for those costs once a player leaves....the player could be out acting irresponsibly (going to bars, concerts, etc), contract the virus and the schools would be on the hook for it. The players have won the ability make money on their likeness (something I think a very small percentage will actually be able to do, but a large percentage think they’ll be able to do), so let them use that “windfall” to pay it. In fact, I’m of the opinion that college students should get a 1099 for the amount of their scholarship, support charges, food and rent and pay taxes on it since they want to be treated like employees instead of students. 

Employers do pay for COBRA. It’s typically for 18 months and the employee is required to pay fees. This is a guess but all DI universities have health plans for these kids. They are already heavily insured if any of them get seriously hurt or even die. I think this request is something you’ll see in the future anyway. I also think you’ll see a scholarships be for life, meaning a player can come back at any time and complete their degree. 

8 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Employers do pay for COBRA. It’s typically for 18 months and the employee is required to pay fees. This is a guess but all DI universities have health plans for these kids. They are already heavily insured if any of them get seriously hurt or even die. I think this request is something you’ll see in the future anyway. I also think you’ll see a scholarships be for life, meaning a player can come back at any time and complete their degree. 

I'm guessing that you've never used COBRA? The employee is allowed to stay on the plan, but they are required to pay 100% of the cost (in fact, many times it is 102% since companies are allowed to charge a 2% administrative fee), which typically doubles since the employer no longer pays the employer portion. A better analogy would be making a workers comp claim for something that happened outside of work hours or after an employee has left the company.....it isn't covered and won't be in the future. People seem to be under the impression that because an organization is large, they have deep pockets and that simply isn't the case. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, robe said:

Why does this thread advertise toilets.

My adverts are coming up as scanty undergarments for women. I am spending much more time on this site than I generally do.  Guess it depends on where you are.

7 minutes ago, 1066 said:

My adverts are coming up as scanty undergarments for women. I am spending much more time on this site than I generally do.  Guess it depends on where you are.

I gave up cross dressing a while ago. 

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, robe said:

I gave up cross dressing a while ago. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

12 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

Soccer is pay to play, that's where your suburb kid is going. Basketball is cheap, courts are everywhere, that's where the poorer kids are heading. 

Football remains strong in Ohio, Florida, Texas, and Michigan, but it is slumping almost everywhere else. It's even having issues in places like Texas where smaller schools are struggling to get teams together, even for eight man.

Yeah.  It’s a big problem for soccer in the US but one that is changing 

On 8/6/2020 at 11:15 PM, NVGiant said:

Or if a coach is flouting protocols and kids get sick then they can sue.

If a coach is slacking off, the players should inform the AD like big boys would. The two problems with suing are 1. Define what deviation of the protocols is enough to sue. 2. The players would never be able to prove they got it from other players as long as they spend time out in public. 

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

If a coach is slacking off, the players should inform the AD like big boys would. The two problems with suing are 1. Define what deviation of the protocols is enough to sue. 2. The players would never be able to prove they got it from other players as long as they spend time out in public. 

TLDR

On 8/6/2020 at 8:53 PM, quickdraw said:

I’m ok with these depending upon the details of the liability waiver. I’m still thinking the only way this season happens is later after a vaccine not earlier. Expect a later conference only basketball season as well. May Madness Baby!

Vaccinate all these kids with a rushed product.  Nuts.  This world has gone nuts. 

On 8/7/2020 at 5:52 AM, NorthWestCowboy said:

No public university would or should agree to being liable for all COVID-19 medical expenses for 5 years after exhaustion of eligibility. 

Right. There is zero chance of that. Not only would it be potentially infinitely costly, who's to say the disease was contracted from playing football as opposed to some dumb kid attending one too many parties where people are packed in like sardines?

Taking out an insurance policy where if the kid is known for having acted irresponsibly the company can contest causation would make sense.