Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

"The internet was a bad idea" thread

3 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

yeah this whole internet thing was bad.

“The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

I have my towel...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

the internet gave us #AggieFactThursday.

It might not mean much to most of you, but to me it is proof that God is good, and alone justifies the Internet's existence.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

34 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Just got blocked my the father of one of my grade school friends I have known for 20 years.  I had the audacity to say BLM is not a terrorist organization!

JFC people suck.

Bureau of Land Management or Black Lives Matter?

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The later.  Although given his love for the Bundy bro's I could easily just say yes.

Both sides need to chill with the labeling of organizations they disagree with as "terrorist."

There's actual legal issues dealing with terrorism and we need to agree as a country that terrorism includes killing innocent people. It is not just people that we disagree with.

1 minute ago, CV147 said:

Both sides need to chill with the labeling of organizations they disagree with as "terrorist."

There's actual legal issues dealing with terrorism and we need to agree as a country that terrorism includes killing innocent people. It is not just people that we disagree with.

People have a hard time with terms and shit.

@Football God is on the sports board saying the US is participating in genocide.

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Just got blocked my the father of one of my grade school friends I have known for 20 years.  I had the audacity to say BLM is not a terrorist organization!

JFC people suck.

i saw something the other day, some meme or something, that said we should pay less attention to information that attempt to elicit feeling and more attention that provides us with new, well, information.

and the response by the guy on your fb feed kinda reminds me of that.  loosely speaking, terrorists attempt to use fear, operating outside political systems and institutions, to effectuate political change.  FACTUALLY SPEAKING, i can see why someone would make that argument for BLM.  however, (AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE KEEP READING, RANDOM PERSON WHO THINKS I JUST SAID BLM ARE TERRORISTS), there is, or certainly ought to be, a gap between the academic exercise of comparison and the emotional response as a result of drawing conclusions about the comparison.

using the word 'terrorist' to conjure up in mind the isis animals who beheaded people with a knife (for crying out loud, man, that sort of barbarity and cruelty just can't be referenced without judgment on my part) and then take that word with all its emotional baggage and slap it on BLM represents a deeper comparison than is warranted.  by far.  in the emotional sense, BLM are not terrorists.  not at all, imo. 

- they aren't orchestrating the riots with a network of authority and hierarchy the way terrorists operate.  

- they aren't using fear and intimidation of persons.  and no, i don't believe protesting in front of a gated community where the mayor resides qualifies as such.  ymmv.

- they have no cohesive message that they transmit before, or after, any incidents that could reasonably be deemed their responsibility

tl;dr: emotionally charged information needs to be separated from the facts and criteria that compose it and the emotions that taint it.  this is the essence of fake news.  BLM aren't terrorists in any conventional sense, imo.