Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Election Prediction

Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

So I’m sorry which candidate then would have best represented the middle?

People can take their pick.  But many didn't, and chose for no other reason than to beat the other guy.  Let me know how many people who aren't party line democrats that believed Biden was the best candidate, period.  Not "most likely to beat Trump", but best candidate?  The point you continue to miss.  Like I was agreeing with spaztec, the current system has become polarized and dominated by people on the further ends of the spectrum and has forced many former-party liners to break away and be in the middle.  Biden and Trump are likely not the best choice for those folks, more likely they are eating rotten sandwiches because it is better than a shit sandwich.  As I said, no one (seriously no one) I know likes Biden as their candidate.  You keep proving my point any time you say something akin to "what are the other options?"

Personally, if I had to choose a Democrat, it would have been difficult, and I don't have one.  There isn't one for the Republican side this election.  I am what many folks like to call "a wasted vote" because neither are getting mine.  

21 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

People can take their pick.  But many didn't, and chose for no other reason than to beat the other guy.  Let me know how many people who aren't party line democrats that believed Biden was the best candidate, period.  Not "most likely to beat Trump", but best candidate?  The point you continue to miss.  Like I was agreeing with spaztec, the current system has become polarized and dominated by people on the further ends of the spectrum and has forced many former-party liners to break away and be in the middle.  Biden and Trump are likely not the best choice for those folks, more likely they are eating rotten sandwiches because it is better than a shit sandwich.  As I said, no one (seriously no one) I know likes Biden as their candidate.  You keep proving my point any time you say something akin to "what are the other options?"

Personally, if I had to choose a Democrat, it would have been difficult, and I don't have one.  There isn't one for the Republican side this election.  I am what many folks like to call "a wasted vote" because neither are getting mine.  

Who was the last candidate for president that you felt represented you?

36 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

So I’m sorry which candidate then would have best represented the middle?

nevada convert

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

23 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

They go away pretty quick.  Hence my dissatisfaction with the polarization.  Jim Webb was my last solid "I want that guy in" candidate.  

Jim Webb. Fantastic. So you understand then that had Webb gotten the nom in 2016, millions of people would have felt that he didn’t represent them, but voted for him anyway because he was the less bad option. It’s impossible for one person to represent 330 million people. Sticking your nose up because your mythical Goldilocks candidate isn’t in the race is incomprehensible to me. 

So, back to my original point, Biden might not fully represent you and others who see themselves as “the middle,” but he comes a hell of a lot closer than trump, doesn’t he? 

37 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Jim Webb. Fantastic. So you understand then that had Webb gotten the nom in 2016, millions of people would have felt that he didn’t represent them, but voted for him anyway because he was the less bad option. It’s impossible for one person to represent 330 million people. Sticking your nose up because your mythical Goldilocks candidate isn’t in the race is incomprehensible to me. 

So, back to my original point, Biden might not fully represent you and others who see themselves as “the middle,” but he comes a hell of a lot closer than trump, doesn’t he? 

No, the point is that he doesn't represent me at all.  Neither does Trump.  He isn't closer, he just hasn't been able to fully show himself as another Trump yet, but we saw his ineptness while a VP, see him be  weird around women, forget stuff frequently, and saw him Uncle Tom black voters.  They are practically identical in that regard.  Policy-wise, what has he done that deserves a vote?  But "hell of a lot closer than trump"?

There is a difference of a rational "they don't check all the boxes, but they resonate with me on quite a bit", which I guess you smugly surmise as my so-called "Goldilocks candidate", and someone who checks maybe one but "we have to vote for him, because we need to beat the other guy".  If you can't see how that is happening for quite a lot of voters, it is hopeless you will ever get it, and we can just agree to disagree.  

41 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

No, the point is that he doesn't represent me at all.  Neither does Trump.  He isn't closer, he just hasn't been able to fully show himself as another Trump yet, but we saw his ineptness while a VP, see him be  weird around women, forget stuff frequently, and saw him Uncle Tom black voters.  They are practically identical in that regard.  Policy-wise, what has he done that deserves a vote?  But "hell of a lot closer than trump"?

There is a difference of a rational "they don't check all the boxes, but they resonate with me on quite a bit", which I guess you smugly surmise as my so-called "Goldilocks candidate", and someone who checks maybe one but "we have to vote for him, because we need to beat the other guy".  If you can't see how that is happening for quite a lot of voters, it is hopeless you will ever get it, and we can just agree to disagree.  

No, I do get it. Your second quoted sentiment is exactly how I feel about Biden. I was never arguing that point. I’m just saying that voting for him just “to beat the other guy” is a perfectly ok - and maybe even noble - thing to do this year.   

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

There was an online poll this morning on MSN which typically leans left in their reporting. I was surprised that Trump led Biden 45% to 40%. I just checked it again. It’s now Trump 49% Biden 39%. Approximately 300,000 have indicated their preference. 

8 hours ago, easybronc said:

Vote by mail is not an issue for the Post Office.   The issues would be with voter fraud.

Excuse me while I register my cat to vote.

Oregon has voted by mail exclusively for a quarter century. The real problem is It makes it harder to suppress votes. That’s the concern, 

12 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

There was an online poll this morning on MSN which typically leans left in their reporting. I was surprised that Trump led Biden 45% to 40%. I just checked it again. It’s now Trump 49% Biden 39%. Approximately 300,000 have indicated their preference. 

An online poll? Does this mean anything?

10 hours ago, easybronc said:

Vote by mail is not an issue for the Post Office.   The issues would be with voter fraud.

Excuse me while I register my cat to vote.

tell us the results, please

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

An online poll? Does this mean anything?

About 10 years ago the Four Loko controversy was kicking off (man... simple times). A major publication - NYT? WSJ? one of those had an article about it, and had a poll whether it should be banned.

One of the poll options was "NO WAY! Four Loko leads to awesome partying!" I'm guessing that this was an online only article and they threw it to their online person, in 2010.

The poll results ended up abut 93% "Four Loko leads to awesome partying" with an absurd amount of votes (upwards of 80,000 IIRC). 

I keep that in mind when I see self selected internet polling

20 minutes ago, happycamper said:

tell us the results, please

About 10 years ago the Four Loko controversy was kicking off (man... simple times). A major publication - NYT? WSJ? one of those had an article about it, and had a poll whether it should be banned.

One of the poll options was "NO WAY! Four Loko leads to awesome partying!" I'm guessing that this was an online only article and they threw it to their online person, in 2010.

The poll results ended up abut 93% "Four Loko leads to awesome partying" with an absurd amount of votes (upwards of 80,000 IIRC). 

I keep that in mind when I see self selected internet polling

I would have voted no way, even though I don't think Four Loko leads to much more than awesome hangovers. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

I would have voted no way, even though I don't think Four Loko leads to much more than awesome hangovers. 

ah ha there you are wrong, sir. Due to the absurd levels of caffeine, Four Loko inevitably leads to waking you up at 6 in the morning with a heart rate of ~160 bpm while still drunk from the night before. This allows you to get some water or even gatorade and shower and eat before even getting a hangover thus ameliorating hangover effects.

I have tested this hypothesis, with four loko, with post ban four loko lite, with alcohol combined with an excess of caffeine that was not four loko, and with normal ass drinking extensively. 

Guest #1Stunner

Why are the Democrats so in favor of mail in voting?

Why are the Republicans so against mail in voting?

Seems like both sides are oddly passionate about their position on this.   Why?

Also, what is the problem with in-person voting that has traditionally been used?  Anyone know?