Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Not a good look, CSU

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

This has nothing to do with the mainstream media. If you haven’t noticed, EVERYONE has a platform from which to spread “news.” The problem in America is that it’s citizens are too lazy to recognize or care who is writing the information they consume, OR they just keep reading until they find a version that supports their own narrative. 

I disagree... anytime you run story w/ "unnamed" sources your doing a disservice to your target audience.  If the general public "cancelled" news reporters who base their accusations on "unnamed" sources, a lot of shitty reporters and "unnamed" sources would disappear.  Whistle-blowers are protected by federal law and if that wasn't enough, they should have the balls to believe what they say enough to put their name behind it.  If they don't, how can they be considered credible in the first place???  In the case of college student athletes, why should they be scared of staying anonymous?  They can always transfer somewhere else if they don't like their current situation.

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Plus... continuing rant. The unnamed source isn’t one person. It’s several. A cooborated unnamed source is a good thing.  

”The player and staff member were two of 10 players and staff who contacted the Coloradoan in the past week regarding CSU’s handling of athletics and COVID-19. None wished to be identified for fear of retribution.”

Allegedly there are 10 players... how do we know unless they provide their names?  There have been more than 10 (plus parents) saying this article is complete crap on Twitter.

And again, what "retribution" would they face?  If Fort Collins and the coaches suck so bad, go somewhere else.  Why would any player ever fear "retribution"??

14 minutes ago, RambleOn said:

Allegedly there are 10 players... how do we know unless they provide their names?  There have been more than 10 (plus parents) saying this article is complete crap on Twitter.

And again, what "retribution" would they face?  If Fort Collins and the coaches suck so bad, go somewhere else.  Why would any player ever fear "retribution"??

So are you saying there were not 10 sources from inside the program?

13 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So are you saying there were not 10 sources from inside the program?

Maybe there were and maybe there weren't... we don't know unless people are willing to put their names to their accusations.  We know for a fact that there are 10+ players and parents that have come out against the article saying its complete horse crap... who's more credible?

57 minutes ago, RambleOn said:

What would you say if you found out, that 6 or 7 of the 10 "players" are key, if not vital, to having a successful season? You still want them in the transfer portal?

And if you've ever played team sports, you know exactly how easy it is to find yourself sitting on the bench, if you cross your coach/es. The ramifications of this, one way or the other are staggering.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

What coaches say: If you break protocol you have to go in to quarantine. If you go into quarantine, you miss practice. If you miss too much practice, you can't play.

What players hear: You're punishing me for going into quarantine!??!?!?!

47 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

What would you say if you found out, that 6 or 7 of the 10 "players" are key, if not vital, to having a successful season? You still want them in the transfer portal?

And if you've ever played team sports, you know exactly how easy it is to find yourself sitting on the bench, if you cross your coach/es. The ramifications of this, one way or the other are staggering.

Honestly, yes I would.  CSU, if nothing else has proven that its not a "win at all costs" program.  We've done things the right way for what its worth and if coaches are being shady about shit, I'd absolutely want to know.  Its not like CSU owes Addazio anything, in fact, its likely the other way around.  

And I don't doubt that a whistleblower would find himself on the bench, but that's what the portal is for in the first place.

1 hour ago, Fort Fun said:

What coaches say: If you break protocol you have to go in to quarantine. If you go into quarantine, you miss practice. If you miss too much practice, you can't play.

What players hear: You're punishing me for going into quarantine!??!?!?!

It’s all in the delivery...which sounds like the problem here. And it’s going to cost CSU 

22 minutes ago, RambleOn said:

Honestly, yes I would.  CSU, if nothing else has proven that its not a "win at all costs" program.  We've done things the right way for what its worth and if coaches are being shady about shit, I'd absolutely want to know.  Its not like CSU owes Addazio anything, in fact, its likely the other way around.  

And I don't doubt that a whistleblower would find himself on the bench, but that's what the portal is for in the first place.

Well, we'll be keeping an eye out for the portal then. We're looking for another QB, a fullback type back and a decent tight end. :P

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

3 hours ago, RambleOn said:

I disagree... anytime you run story w/ "unnamed" sources your doing a disservice to your target audience.  If the general public "cancelled" news reporters who base their accusations on "unnamed" sources, a lot of shitty reporters and "unnamed" sources would disappear.  Whistle-blowers are protected by federal law and if that wasn't enough, they should have the balls to believe what they say enough to put their name behind it.  If they don't, how can they be considered credible in the first place???  In the case of college student athletes, why should they be scared of staying anonymous?  They can always transfer somewhere else if they don't like their current situation.

Seriously? 😂😂 Does the name Deep Throat ring a bell? You’re only doing a disservice if you don’t cooborate a source. And that’s what I referenced in a previous post... that happens too often these days because EVERYONE has a platform and people don’t want to read information they don’t agree with.

But no journalist or newspaper worth a bag or crap is going to run with a lie especially in a town the size of Fort Collins. Why would they do that? This story isn’t going to make or break the Coloradan financially.  And why would the reporter do that? You think this guy is going to rocket to stardom in McClatchy’s ranks because he wrote a story based on lies? Clearly this reporter knew who he was talking to because I suspect they felt comfortable enough to reach out to him and trust that he wouldn’t disclose who they are.

I will give you this. There are two sides to every story. I’m sure CSU is working on its version of events. Maybe their perspective will shine some light in this situation through their lens. 

2 hours ago, RambleOn said:

Maybe there were and maybe there weren't... we don't know unless people are willing to put their names to their accusations.  We know for a fact that there are 10+ players and parents that have come out against the article saying its complete horse crap... who's more credible?

You’re calling a journalist a liar as you use your handle RambleOn on an anonymous message board accusing a newspaper of passing fictional information?? I’m guilty of posting here too... but do you not see the irony in this? I’m telling you this right now... as that is fact.

The Coloradan cares more about facts than RamNation and the MWC Board (sorry Mug) do. This board is one giant depot of op-ed. It’s interesting and informative but I hope to Christ that your fact-checking EVERYTHING you read here. 👍

26 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Seriously? 😂😂 Does the name Deep Throat ring a bell? You’re only doing a disservice if you don’t cooborate a source. And that’s what I referenced in a previous post... that happens too often these days because EVERYONE has a platform and people don’t want to read information they don’t agree with.

But no journalist or newspaper worth a bag or crap is going to run with a lie especially in a town the size of Fort Collins. Why would they do that? This story isn’t going to make or break the Coloradan financially.  And why would the reporter do that? You think this guy is going to rocket to stardom in McClatchy’s ranks because he wrote a story based on lies? Clearly this reporter knew who he was talking to because I suspect they felt comfortable enough to reach out to him and trust that he wouldn’t disclose who they are.

I will give you this. There are two sides to every story. I’m sure CSU is working on its version of events. Maybe their perspective will shine some light in this situation through their lens. 

To call the Coloradoan a bag of crap would be an insult to the bag of crap.. they are notorious for throwing negative CSU shit against the wall and seeing what sticks.. in this case, they glommed onto a couple of unnamed folks that fit the popular narrative of shutting down sports and turned it into headline "news". Nevermind the fact that numerous verifiable players and player parents have said exactly opposite. Those opposing points of view we're either ignored or never searched out to begin with.. either way it was a half assed attempt to break news..

As for your comment about motivation, yes, I think Coloradoan reporters put feathers in their cap any time they think they caught CSU doing something wrong. Matt Stephens still relives his glory of bringing Eustacy down even though he violated employee/employer confidentiality agreements in the process.  Dude should have been sued, but instead he got a "big promotion" to Charlotte.

2 minutes ago, RambleOn said:

Wow.. what a niaive point of view.. the main stream media is the biggest bunch of liars out there and the Coloradoan is no exception.. they glommed onto a couple of unnamed folks that fit the popular narrative of shutting down sports and turned it into headline "news". Nevermind the fact that numerous verifiable players and player parents have said exactly opposite. Those opposing points of view we're either ignored or never searched our to begin with.. either way it was a half assed attempt to break news..

One question and I’ll stop posting in this thread. Where do you get news and what do you consider legitimate news sources?

17 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

You’re calling a journalist a liar as you use your handle RambleOn on an anonymous message board accusing a newspaper of passing fictional information?? I’m guilty of posting here too... but do you not see the irony in this? I’m telling you this right now... as that is fact.

The Coloradan cares more about facts than RamNation and the MWC Board (sorry Mug) do. This board is one giant depot of op-ed. It’s interesting and informative but I hope to Christ that your fact-checking EVERYTHING you read here. 👍

No I don't.. because I use my real name on Twitter and say the same exact shit.

5 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

One question and I’ll stop posting in this thread. Where do you get news and what do you consider legitimate news sources?

Honestly, finding truth in "news" is hard to do... Everyone has a spin to sell on every story and "truth" typically lies in between.. I'm sure you'll say that's a cop out, but if you tell me that's there's any one source that can be trusted, I'll tell you that your FOS.. they all lie to varying degrees..

That being said, in this case, there were many verifiable players and players parents that refuted these claims. That's about as legitimate as it gets in terms of sources..

So, if I’m understanding this thread correctly, the business plan of The Coloradan, with their devastating chokehold on the newspaper business in northern Colorado, is as follows:

1. Make up stories about the local public university 

2. ????

3. profit

This makes a lot of sense. Everyone knows the best way to sell newspapers - especially local ones without the digital resources to compete with national media outlets - is to just make shit up. Definitely don’t save it for that screenplay you’re working on, intrepid local journalist, slip it into a news story! That’s the only way to make the world aware of your genius. I fully expect this to be the cover story for the Coloradan this weekend: 

3B8B48B5-178F-490B-9B9C-2B9F36F7A4AA.jpeg