Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

PAC-12 football players on strike...

19 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

It doesn't matter..I was just citing an example.  It is all relative..You can go to Nevada for far less than any of those schools.  However, that doesn't change the fact that scholarships have some level of monetary value.

Why don’t coaches get paid in scholarships also? Or if they already have a degree, paid in equal value of a scholarship? Coaching football is not a part of the higher education system so you can’t compare it to teachers.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

18 minutes ago, Warbow said:

I think the bottom line is college athletes make millions of dollars for the institutes just like the coaches, teachers, administrators and staff does. They should get paid accordingly. And don’t give me they get a free education bullshit. If that is alright then everyone else that works for that institution should also work for a free education only.

I don't disagree that football and basketball players should potentially get more than what they get today, but what about the women's swim team and the track team?  How do they fit into this plan?  Seems like the football players conveniently forget about all the other sports that are being funded on their backs.

1 minute ago, Warbow said:

Why don’t coaches get paid in scholarships also? Or if they already have a degree, paid in equal value of a scholarship? Coaching football is not a part of the higher education system so you can’t compare it to teachers.

Better question, why do certain jobs require unpaid internships prior to getting a paid full time position?

2 hours ago, sean327 said:

Your analogy is horseshit. Someone already used the Single A baseball comparison, so I’ll go with the military one. You can enlist in any of the services for 4 years and come away with a free college education using tuition assistance and the GI Bill. But you take the risk of going off to some far off shithole and dying. You are going to give up 4 years of your youth that you will never get back, and likely get out with any number of physical ailments. All while getting shit pay and living in substandard housing. Like anything in life, those risks come with a great payoff...debt free degree, or the ultimate loss... dying. In the end it’s a choice. Take the opportunity or don’t take the opportunity. No one is forcing you to do it. None of these situations....playing college sports for a scholarship, playing Single A ball and sleeping in your car in the hopes of moving up, or enlisting in the military for free education benefits, equate to modern day slavery. All of them are opportunities that come with risk and reward. All of them require a conscious decision on the part of the participant.

This is the path I took and have zero regrets.

People, not a fan.

Just now, azgreg said:

This is the path I took and have zero regrets.

My path also, except I stayed in to retirement. No regrets here either.

2 hours ago, sean327 said:

Your analogy is horseshit. Someone already used the Single A baseball comparison, so I’ll go with the military one. You can enlist in any of the services for 4 years and come away with a free college education using tuition assistance and the GI Bill. But you take the risk of going off to some far off shithole and dying. You are going to give up 4 years of your youth that you will never get back, and likely get out with any number of physical ailments. All while getting shit pay and living in substandard housing. Like anything in life, those risks come with a great payoff...debt free degree, or the ultimate loss... dying. In the end it’s a choice. Take the opportunity or don’t take the opportunity. No one is forcing you to do it. None of these situations....playing college sports for a scholarship, playing Single A ball and sleeping in your car in the hopes of moving up, or enlisting in the military for free education benefits, equate to modern day slavery. All of them are opportunities that come with risk and reward. All of them require a conscious decision on the part of the participant.

Everybody sees the rewards people have. Seeing the work and the sacrifice is a lot harder.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, happycamper said:

Everybody sees the rewards people have. Seeing the work and the sacrifice is a lot harder.

As with anything in life. Most things worth working for don’t come easy. Not taking opportunities when they come along makes them harder.

35 minutes ago, Warbow said:

I think the bottom line is college athletes make millions of dollars for the institutes just like the coaches, teachers, administrators and staff does. They should get paid accordingly. And don’t give me they get a free education bullshit. If that is alright then everyone else that works for that institution should also work for a free education only.

As a fan paying for their scholarship I demand the right to fire them when they fumble or throw a pick. 

19 minutes ago, Warbow said:

Here is what I don't like - those players accepted the scholarship to go play football for the University with the knowledge that it was virtually unpaid except for the education and housing allowance.  This is no different than the unpaid extern that goes and works at a business/state in exchange for college credit.  Both the extern and the football player knew of the deal when they willingly accepted it.  Both the extern and football player are free to quit and go play/work somewhere else if they don't like those terms.  Should an 18 year old (a legal adult) not be accountable for the agreement that they made?  Should they be able to break that agreement and now demand money to play as well?

PS:  I fully believe that players should own and should be able to profit of their likeness.  If the college player is good enough, let them go line up endorsements with the private sector.

1 hour ago, Warbow said:

I am not opposed to players getting paid..You want to say they are slaves, that is on you.

Nevada takes in about 8 million bucks in revenue for football..They are small fries in the college athletic world. Basketball probably generates about half of that. Most of that goes to funding other programs.  There is very little profit.  Should Pack players be paid less than athletes from schools who actually make a profit? You may see that when the P-5 breaks off into their own professional league.

So..NV won't be in that league and it is likely no other MW school will be either.  You place little to no value in a scholarship so you probably don't care but what if several schools drop football? At NV that would mean 75 kids would not get a scholarship..How does that help anyone.  Remember, many athletes at NV graduate but very few ever make a living in their sport once they leave.

Remember scholarships are awarded based upon what an athlete does in high school.  Should athletes in high school be paid?

Personally, I think there can be some sort of attainable middle ground that could be achieved.  Maybe schools could give the option of either a full ride or be paid the equivalent in cash.  

Maybe the P5 operates as an entirely professional association and the rest stay with the scholarship model.  That does put some choice in the hands of the players.

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

You said systemic racism and it’s not like it was when the sport was largely segregated decades ago. Most players are generally treated the same. I’m sure there are exceptions for some teams and some individuals. 

I never posted the word "systemic".

And its "not like it was when the sport was largely segregated decades ago" because Federal discrimination laws exist now. Racism is still alive and well, it's just not out in the open because there are consequences to those actions.

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

The players can go ahead and strike. I’ll also strike and save myself $500 per season ticket and there will be a lot more like me. 

If I'm not mistaking, isn't that......the plan?

No Players = No Paying Fans = No Money

5 minutes ago, Football God said:

I never posted the word "systemic".

And its "not like it was when the sport was largely segregated decades ago" because Federal discrimination laws exist now. Racism is still alive and well, it's just not out in the open because there are consequences to those actions.

You’re right, my bad. 

15 hours ago, Warbow said:

So that’s okay? It’s part of the systematic racism people are protesting. For some of these kids this is the only way they can go to college, is on scholarship. But they must earn millions of dollars for for that school before they are given a “free” education in return. What don’t you guys see?

Except they had their choice of which, if any, "plantation" to work for...then they voluntarily signed up, fully aware of the arrangement.

11 minutes ago, fearthefumanchu said:

Except they had their choice of which, if any, "plantation" to work for...then they voluntarily signed up, fully aware of the arrangement.

What are their other CHOICES?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

46 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Here is what I don't like - those players accepted the scholarship to go play football for the University with the knowledge that it was virtually unpaid except for the education and housing allowance.  This is no different than the unpaid extern that goes and works at a business/state in exchange for college credit.  Both the extern and the football player knew of the deal when they willingly accepted it.  Both the extern and football player are free to quit and go play/work somewhere else if they don't like those terms.  Should an 18 year old (a legal adult) not be accountable for the agreement that they made?  Should they be able to break that agreement and now demand money to play as well?

PS:  I fully believe that players should own and should be able to profit of their likeness.  If the college player is good enough, let them go line up endorsements with the private sector.

In the real world, people try and renegotiate their contracts all the time.  Circumstances change--a lot of people are doing it because of the pandemic.  Sometimes they are able to get away with it, a lot of the times they aren't.  That's also how capitalism works.

We shouldn't blame them for trying.

43 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The players can go ahead and strike. I’ll also strike and save myself $500 per season ticket and there will be a lot more like me. 

If you do that, how are they going to pay their million dollar coaches?