Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

PAC-12 football players on strike...

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

They can ask all they want, but most schools don’t have the money to give them. Most are barely meeting budget and some have large debt. All the money generated goes toward facilities debt and operating expenses including scholarships, travel, coaching salaries, etc. Whatever is left goes toward the non revenue generating sports on campus most of whom exist because of Title IX. They are a fixed cost. 

What are these athletes going to do if the school says stuff it. The athletes aren’t in a position to demand anything.  Most university presidents are academians and athletics are a pain in the ass. Personally I hope the presidents don’t back down. In reality they don’t have much choice but to say no. 

As far as systemic racism the percentage of college black athletes on teams far exceeds the percentage of the black population. Where is the racism? 

They can’t afford to pay players but they can pay their coaches millions? Give me an F’n break.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

2 hours ago, Football God said:

Everyday blue-collar workers ask for a raise when they feel like they've outworked their current wages, but these "entitled athletes" should just be happy with little they have. A free chance to earn a fancy piece of paper and a title that doesn't guarantee employment.

Granted I would have starved to death for a chance to play in front of 100,000 people while not paying for college, but if those 100,000 people are paying to see me and my teammates shouldn't we get our fair share? As College Football and March Madness continues to grow and generate more money, the players should generate more perks. Simple as that. 

When it comes to Title IX , non-spectator sports aren't really packing venues or drawing the amount of interest that brings revenue, but they should still be able to cash in on their own name and likeness.

They are asking the impossible and it is beyond stupid.  They are asking for a share of revenue while demanding no other sports get cut.  If they have their way, it means most schools would have to cut all non revenue sports and the NCAA requirement for sports sponsored would have to be dropped.  Seems like a great way to rob women and other minorities out of a chance at an education.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Racism is everywhere. The existing system does not perpetuate it for college athletes.  If nothing else it gives minority athletes an avenue to success that otherwise would be much more difficult. 

Racism is everywhere, including collegiate athletics. I've worked in the industry for years and seen it first hand.

Schools are not offering scholarships for the love of minorities and helping them make it out the hood. Players have to earn them by excelling on the field and classroom. Sports programs need talented players in order to win games, attract fans, and make money. If these players couldn't punt, pass, run, catch or kick a ball, they wouldn't care enough to piss on their house to put out a fire and why should they?

I don't believe racism plays a role in college athletes not getting their fair share, white players are getting screwed too, but let's not act like racism is not an issue and hasn't been in the past.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

They are asking the impossible and it is beyond stupid.  They are asking for a share of revenue while demanding no other sports get cut.  If they have their way, it means most schools would have to cut all non revenue sports and the NCAA requirement for sports sponsored would have to be dropped.  Seems like a great way to rob women and other minorities out of a chance at an education.

Wanting a fair share of the money YOU helped generate isn't impossible or stupid. Every major sports league in the US has had work stoppages and strikes because of this same issue. No one in this thread would continue working for a company that refuses to give them a raise, especially if that company is bringing in record profit margins ever year off your hard work. That would be stupid and impossible.

7 hours ago, Football God said:

Racism is everywhere, including collegiate athletics. I've worked in the industry for years and seen it first hand.

Schools are not offering scholarships for the love of minorities and helping them make it out the hood. Players have to earn them by excelling on the field and classroom. Sports programs need talented players in order to win games, attract fans, and make money. If these players couldn't punt, pass, run, catch or kick a ball, they wouldn't care enough to piss on their house to put out a fire and why should they?

I don't believe racism plays a role in college athletes not getting their fair share, white players are getting screwed too, but let's not act like racism is not an issue and hasn't been in the past.

You said systemic racism and it’s not like it was when the sport was largely segregated decades ago. Most players are generally treated the same. I’m sure there are exceptions for some teams and some individuals. 

14 hours ago, RambleOn said:

I was referring to the parts where he said:

1) "The NCAA is the epitome of institutional racism" and;

2) "There is NO other industry where people don't get paid for their work"

Just a clueless stance for so many reasons.

And before I have the social justice police scream me down, I don't really care if college sports happens this year or not.  If athletes that have benefited from free education, free room and board, wide spread publicity (which they will now be getting paid for), and in some cases, very nice professional sport salaries, think this is a racist/oppressive system, then don't play.  Go be a regular student and get a regular job like the rest of us who aren't as physically gifted.  No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and making them play against their wills.  Its a pretty freaking easy discussion as far as I'm concerned.

As a fan and school, supporter, I can still give my donations to my school even if sports don't happen.  Whether they want to admit it or not, it IS an entertainment industry.  The world will continue whether college sports contiues or not.

💯

18 hours ago, Coog kev said:

I'm shocked at what's missing on the list of demands.  Refusal to play on the PAC Network..which no one watches. 

I watch it.

12 hours ago, Warbow said:

So that’s okay? It’s part of the systematic racism people are protesting. For some of these kids this is the only way they can go to college, is on scholarship. But they must earn millions of dollars for for that school before they are given a “free” education in return. What don’t you guys see?

Your analogy is horseshit. Someone already used the Single A baseball comparison, so I’ll go with the military one. You can enlist in any of the services for 4 years and come away with a free college education using tuition assistance and the GI Bill. But you take the risk of going off to some far off shithole and dying. You are going to give up 4 years of your youth that you will never get back, and likely get out with any number of physical ailments. All while getting shit pay and living in substandard housing. Like anything in life, those risks come with a great payoff...debt free degree, or the ultimate loss... dying. In the end it’s a choice. Take the opportunity or don’t take the opportunity. No one is forcing you to do it. None of these situations....playing college sports for a scholarship, playing Single A ball and sleeping in your car in the hopes of moving up, or enlisting in the military for free education benefits, equate to modern day slavery. All of them are opportunities that come with risk and reward. All of them require a conscious decision on the part of the participant.

The Undefeated just posted a long article that is available through ESPN about the origins of this action.

https://theundefeated.com/features/pac-12-followed-the-money-and-found-a-movement/

Best quote: 

“I learned how this system will never change from within. Ever.”

And the other?

“The only way a labor movement can be started is with a work stoppage.”

I'm proud to see the legacy of labor organizing by students employed at universities to be lead, once again, by west coast universities like it was with teaching assistants and tutors.

14 hours ago, nvspuds said:

What does a Stanford education cost?  I saw with tuition, books room and board it is over70 grand a year.  If you are a player who red shirts you get 5 years worth of that very expensive education in exchange for playing your sport.  The vast majority of players do not go on to be pros n any sport but a college degree is worth a lot of dough over the course of a carreer in some other endeavor.  All those kids who don't get those scholarships and take out loans are saddle with massive debt before they even get started in the real world..

I agree that there are ways that players can and should receive compensation..i.e. use of their likeness, being in ads..etc.  Most schools already pay out stipends which help defer the costs of meeting basic needs.

Is it a perfect system?  No.  But it sure as hell isn't slavery...Like anything else their are choices..If you are willing to hit the books and graduate you have hit the jackpot without having to pay for it.

Stanford doesn’t charge tuition for students coming from families that earn under 125 thousand. I think they implemented this over 10 years ago. 

1 hour ago, sean327 said:

Your analogy is horseshit. Someone already used the Single A baseball comparison, so I’ll go with the military one. You can enlist in any of the services for 4 years and come away with a free college education using tuition assistance and the GI Bill. But you take the risk of going off to some far off shithole and dying. You are going to give up 4 years of your youth that you will never get back, and likely get out with any number of physical ailments. All while getting shit pay and living in substandard housing. Like anything in life, those risks come with a great payoff...debt free degree, or the ultimate loss... dying. In the end it’s a choice. Take the opportunity or don’t take the opportunity. No one is forcing you to do it. None of these situations....playing college sports for a scholarship, playing Single A ball and sleeping in your car in the hopes of moving up, or enlisting in the military for free education benefits, equate to modern day slavery. All of them are opportunities that come with risk and reward. All of them require a conscious decision on the part of the participant.

All those comparisons are horseshit. All those JOBS you mentioned get paid according to your value you bring on. Who you trying to snow here, I worked with these young military members for the last 20 years and was also one for 20 years. The military kids get PAID according to their rank and their living conditions are great, a 100 times better than what I had. Their bosses don’t make millions of dollars off of you like coaches do. 

For what they bring into the university college players should get paid just like coaches do. Or maybe coaches should just coach for the free education also...yah

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Stanford doesn’t charge tuition for students coming from families that earn under 125 thousand. I think they implemented this over 10 years ago. 

I just used them as an example..I think other Pac 12 schools cost more.

4 minutes ago, Warbow said:

All those comparisons are horseshit. All those JOBS you mentioned get paid according to your value you bring on. Who you trying to snow here, I worked with these young military members for the last 20 years and was also one for 20 years. The military kids get PAID according to their rank and their living conditions are great, a 100 times better than what I had. Their bosses don’t make millions of dollars off of you like coaches do. 

For what they bring into the university college players should get paid just like coaches do. Or maybe coaches should just coach for the free education also...yah

I dunno, I think there is a ton of money made off the backs of soldiers. Maybe it’s not their “bosses” making the money, but the money is being made.

6 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Maybe USC, but I am guessing the other 10 public universities do not cost more.

It doesn't matter..I was just citing an example.  It is all relative..You can go to Nevada for far less than any of those schools.  However, that doesn't change the fact that scholarships have some level of monetary value.

I think the bottom line is college athletes make millions of dollars for the institutes just like the coaches, teachers, administrators and staff does. They should get paid accordingly. And don’t give me they get a free education bullshit. If that is alright then everyone else that works for that institution should also work for a free education only.

5 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

It doesn't matter..I was just citing an example.  It is all relative..You can go to Nevada for far less than any of those schools.  However, that doesn't change the fact that scholarships have some level of monetary value.

Yes, you were citing the most expensive university in the Pac-12 because it made your argument look the best.