Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

PAC-12 football players on strike...

4 minutes ago, Football God said:

While I agree that this isn't a race issue, all the stuff they're getting now isn't nothing compared to what the people who aren't risking their bodies are getting paid. Even the NFL players had to strike and threaten to sign with other leagues (USFL, WFL) in order to get the type of money they getting today. Money talks, If these players can do enough to cause some profit margins to go down, we could see some changes. Otherwise its all talk.

I don't disagree that they should exercise their voices to get what they deserve.  The reality is that right, wrong, or indifferent, football and basketball carry the water for non-revenue generating sports and Title IX, a federally mandated law, requires that schools that get federal funding provide an equal number of scholarships for both men and women, so unless there is a way to separate the revenue generating programs from the non-revenue generating programs, the imbalance will continue to exist.  Its eye opening that the players demands didn't address this issue, and that their demands are made in the vacuum of what they think they deserve.  If they are suggesting every school get rid of their affiliate football/basketball programs, then their demands make more sense.  Otherwise, it just isn't feasible given the current legal structure.

I completely agree that football and basketball players don't get a fair shake on revenue and income, but the problem doesn't lie at the institution level, it lies at the federal level.

2 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

I’ll take hyperbole for 800, Alex. Players can stop playing. Slaves had (have, in the places it’s still happening) no choice.

I said modern day slavery. This is what slavery has evolved into. Either play for nothing or back to your life of poverty. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

What does a Stanford education cost?  I saw with tuition, books room and board it is over70 grand a year.  If you are a player who red shirts you get 5 years worth of that very expensive education in exchange for playing your sport.  The vast majority of players do not go on to be pros n any sport but a college degree is worth a lot of dough over the course of a carreer in some other endeavor.  All those kids who don't get those scholarships and take out loans are saddle with massive debt before they even get started in the real world..

I agree that there are ways that players can and should receive compensation..i.e. use of their likeness, being in ads..etc.  Most schools already pay out stipends which help defer the costs of meeting basic needs.

Is it a perfect system?  No.  But it sure as hell isn't slavery...Like anything else their are choices..If you are willing to hit the books and graduate you have hit the jackpot without having to pay for it.

The woke torpedo is circling back on these institutions. UNLV might have to find another landing spot.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

45 minutes ago, Warbow said:

I said modern day slavery. This is what slavery has evolved into. Either play for nothing or back to your life of poverty. 

Slavery is slavery. Just ask people in China, North Korea, Uzbekistan…hell, even Mauritania recently sentenced a couple of people for enslaving others. I repeat: hyperbole.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

46 minutes ago, Warbow said:

Modern day slavery... wow... I wish I could have had the privileges that student athletes have today, but I just wasn't athletic enough.  I was clearly discriminated against.  

34 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

What does a Stanford education cost?  I saw with tuition, books room and board it is over70 grand a year.  If you are a player who red shirts you get 5 years worth of that very expensive education in exchange for playing your sport.  The vast majority of players do not go on to be pros n any sport but a college degree is worth a lot of dough over the course of a carreer in some other endeavor.  All those kids who don't get those scholarships and take out loans are saddle with massive debt before they even get started in the real world..

I agree that there are ways that players can and should receive compensation..i.e. use of their likeness, being in ads..etc.  Most schools already pay out stipends which help defer the costs of meeting basic needs.

Is it a perfect system?  No.  But it sure as hell isn't slavery...Like anything else their are choices..If you are willing to hit the books and graduate you have hit the jackpot without having to pay for it.

Stanford is needs based.  A lot fo kids from poor families go there for zero or low tuition costs and they don't play sports.  Nor can those kids use sports as a crutch to edge out better qualified candidates.

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

They are playing for something. Its called a degree.

So that’s okay? It’s part of the systematic racism people are protesting. For some of these kids this is the only way they can go to college, is on scholarship. But they must earn millions of dollars for for that school before they are given a “free” education in return. What don’t you guys see?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

This should be seen as a monster opportunity for the MWC, and playing this year should suddenly become much more important. Some of the players just want to play, develop themselves for a potential NFL opportunity and be seen on TV by friends and family.

”Come to the MWC where we love to play football, and don’t act like a bunch of spoiled NFL divas. Football development, education and safety are our top priorities.”

kat.jpg

12 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

This should be seen as a monster opportunity for the MWC, and playing this year should suddenly become much more important. Some of the players just want to play, develop themselves for a potential NFL opportunity and be seen on TV by friends and family.

”Come to the MWC where we love to play football, and don’t act like a bunch of spoiled NFL divas. Football development, education and safety are our top priorities.”

Lol, this is just the start. Every conference will soon jump on board. This will spread faster than the virus.

23 minutes ago, Warbow said:

So that’s okay? It’s part of the systematic racism people are protesting. For some of these kids this is the only way they can go to college, is on scholarship. But they must earn millions of dollars for for that school before they are given a “free” education in return. What don’t you guys see?

I think your math is a little off... do I agree that college football and basketball players generate a shit ton for their schools, absolutely.  That being said, they are also paying the way for non-revenue generating sports, because of Title IX.  If Title IX wasn't in place, there would be a lot more room to pay football and basketball players more.  This is not an institutional issue as the P12 players make it out to be, but a federal level issue with liberal governance that tries to level the playing field.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

1 hour ago, Warbow said:

Slavery is still a very real thing right now around the world.  What do you mean modern day.  Funny. 

Everyday blue-collar workers ask for a raise when they feel like they've outworked their current wages, but these "entitled athletes" should just be happy with little they have. A free chance to earn a fancy piece of paper and a title that doesn't guarantee employment.

Granted I would have starved to death for a chance to play in front of 100,000 people while not paying for college, but if those 100,000 people are paying to see me and my teammates shouldn't we get our fair share? As College Football and March Madness continues to grow and generate more money, the players should generate more perks. Simple as that. 

When it comes to Title IX , non-spectator sports aren't really packing venues or drawing the amount of interest that brings revenue, but they should still be able to cash in on their own name and likeness.

They can ask all they want, but most schools don’t have the money to give them. Most are barely meeting budget and some have large debt. All the money generated goes toward facilities debt and operating expenses including scholarships, travel, coaching salaries, etc. Whatever is left goes toward the non revenue generating sports on campus most of whom exist because of Title IX. They are a fixed cost. 

What are these athletes going to do if the school says stuff it. The athletes aren’t in a position to demand anything.  Most university presidents are academians and athletics are a pain in the ass. Personally I hope the presidents don’t back down. In reality they don’t have much choice but to say no. 

As far as systemic racism the percentage of college black athletes on teams far exceeds the percentage of the black population. Where is the racism? 

51 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

They can ask all they want, but most schools don’t have the money to give them. Most are barely meeting budget and some have large debt. All the money generated goes toward facilities debt and operating expenses including scholarships, travel, coaching salaries, etc. Whatever is left goes toward the non revenue generating sports on campus most of whom exist because of Title IX. They are a fixed cost. 

What are these athletes going to do if the school says stuff it. The athletes aren’t in a position to demand anything.  Most university presidents are academians and athletics are a pain in the ass. Personally I hope the presidents don’t back down. In reality they don’t have much choice but to say no. 

As far as systemic racism the percentage of college black athletes on teams far exceeds the percentage of the black population. Where is the racism? 

Noone's really asking the colleges to pay them, if they can't share the revenue they generate, just allow them profit off their status or make money outside the school at the very least. 

As far as black college athletes, there was a time they weren't being recruited at major colleges until it got to a point they were too good to pass up (Bear Bryant from Alabama was notorious for this). Just because they're allowed to play and make up a large percentage, don't mean racism in college sports still don't exist.

27 minutes ago, Football God said:

Noone's really asking the colleges to pay them, if they can't share the revenue they generate, just allow them profit off their status or make money outside the school at the very least. 

As far as black college athletes, there was a time they weren't being recruited at major colleges until it got to a point they were too good to pass up (Bear Bryant from Alabama was notorious for this). Just because they're allowed to play and make up a large percentage, don't mean racism in college sports still don't exist.

Racism is everywhere. The existing system does not perpetuate it for college athletes.  If nothing else it gives minority athletes an avenue to success that otherwise would be much more difficult.