Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

PAC-12 football players on strike...

1 hour ago, sofork said:

They are just trying to take advantage of the Covid situation and the current political climate 

everyone has to get their pound of flesh... not to mention there are a sh!t ton of ambulance chasing attorney's out there trying to make a buck.  God Bless America.

5 hours ago, Warbow said:

Is this the beginning of the end of college sports?

My guess is no, its not, but then again, this is 2020, so all bets are off.  They have a couple of good points, but the revenue sharing isn't even legal within the current structure and Title IX compliance.

3 hours ago, Football God said:

I'd be cool with the free education, but even after you earn a degree, there's still no guaranteed you'll get hired somewhere. 

There are no guarantees in life except death and taxes.

"You buy the ticket, you take the ride." -HST

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

3 hours ago, Warbow said:

Modern day slavery. We’ll give you a place to stay and education and we’ll keep all the money you make for us.

I’ll take hyperbole for 800, Alex. Players can stop playing. Slaves had (have, in the places it’s still happening) no choice.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

33 minutes ago, CV147 said:

$250,000 for each player? I didn't realize the PAC-12 was making that much money.

I was referring to the parts where he said:

1) "The NCAA is the epitome of institutional racism" and;

2) "There is NO other industry where people don't get paid for their work"

Just a clueless stance for so many reasons.

And before I have the social justice police scream me down, I don't really care if college sports happens this year or not.  If athletes that have benefited from free education, free room and board, wide spread publicity (which they will now be getting paid for), and in some cases, very nice professional sport salaries, think this is a racist/oppressive system, then don't play.  Go be a regular student and get a regular job like the rest of us who aren't as physically gifted.  No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and making them play against their wills.  Its a pretty freaking easy discussion as far as I'm concerned.

As a fan and school, supporter, I can still give my donations to my school even if sports don't happen.  Whether they want to admit it or not, it IS an entertainment industry.  The world will continue whether college sports contiues or not.

23 minutes ago, CV147 said:

$250,000 for each player? I didn't realize the PAC-12 was making that much money.

Living in LA and the Bay Area ain't cheap.  Thankfully the rest of the league drags the price tag down.

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

All of these players are absolutely free to go and start their own football league(s) or universities.

No lie here. Takes a lot of balls and I don't see this playing out too long. That football hunger will kick in and they'll settle for less.

4 minutes ago, Football God said:

No lie here. Takes a lot of balls and I don't see this playing out too long. That football hunger will kick in and they'll settle for less.

I see this much the same way that the Chubba Hubbard thing went down... do players have voices?  110% and they are free to use them.  The reality is that the system, which isn't perfect, isn't racist or oppressive by any stretch of the imagination.  Get some better testing in place and maybe some better medical coverage, and call it a day.  Players are getting stipends, they are getting free room and board, they are getting a free education, and they are getting paid for their likeness now.  Not exactly indentured servitude.   

1 hour ago, RambleOn said:

I was referring to the parts where he said:

1) "The NCAA is the epitome of institutional racism" and;

2) "There is NO other industry where people don't get paid for their work"

Just a clueless stance for so many reasons.

And before I have the social justice police scream me down, I don't really care if college sports happens this year or not.  If athletes that have benefited from free education, free room and board, wide spread publicity (which they will now be getting paid for), and in some cases, very nice professional sport salaries, think this is a racist/oppressive system, then don't play.  Go be a regular student and get a regular job like the rest of us who aren't as physically gifted.  No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and making them play against their wills.  Its a pretty freaking easy discussion as far as I'm concerned.

As a fan and school, supporter, I can still give my donations to my school even if sports don't happen.  Whether they want to admit it or not, it IS an entertainment industry.  The world will continue whether college sports contiues or not.

Texas makes $225 mil / year in sports revenue. 

But in times like these I would let the players and the schools work it out on their own.

I personally don't care what the universities give the students nor what the students require to play for a school. It's up to them to decide. If it turns out the market for a 5 star recruit involves a 100k signing bonus, then so be it. Texas ain't paying it unless they can afford to.

5 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Texas makes $225 mil / year in sports revenue. 

But in times like these I would let the players and the schools work it out on their own.

I personally don't care what the universities give the students nor what the students require to play for a school. It's up to them to decide. If it turns out the market for a 5 star recruit involves a 100k signing bonus, then so be it. Texas ain't paying it unless they can afford to.

I'm honestly more inclined to let the player sit out if they think the system is so racist and unfair.  But whatever, if the P5 decide to pay players additional signing bonuses and its legal under Title IX, then so be it.

Ask single "A" baseball players what they are making in hopes to get to the big league.  All without a college education (for those that came straight out of HS with delusions of grandeur...)  If the "elite athletes" think they have a pipeline to the NFL without going through the work of college...Come up with that plan, and you won't have to play for the NFL to make bank.

5 minutes ago, RambleOn said:

I see this much the same way that the Chubba Hubbard thing went down... do players have voices?  110% and they are free to use them.  The reality is that the system, which isn't perfect, isn't racist or oppressive by any stretch of the imagination.  Get some better testing in place and maybe some better medical coverage, and call it a day.  Players are getting stipends, they are getting free room and board, they are getting a free education, and they are getting paid for their likeness now.  Not exactly indentured servitude.   

While I agree that this isn't a race issue, all the stuff they're getting now isn't nothing compared to what the people who aren't risking their bodies are getting paid. Even the NFL players had to strike and threaten to sign with other leagues (USFL, WFL) in order to get the type of money they getting today. Money talks, If these players can do enough to cause some profit margins to go down, we could see some changes. Otherwise its all talk.

20 minutes ago, PokeTransplant said:

Ask single "A" baseball players what they are making in hopes to get to the big league.  All without a college education (for those that came straight out of HS with delusions of grandeur...)  If the "elite athletes" think they have a pipeline to the NFL without going through the work of college...Come up with that plan, and you won't have to play for the NFL to make bank.

That's a good analogy.