Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

POLL: Is Trump pulling some of our troops out of Germany good or bad?

Is Trump pulling some of our troops out of Germany good or bad?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is Trump pulling some of our troops out of Germany good or bad?

• BAD - This helps Russia. Trump is in Putin's pocket. We need to keep this military expense in our national budget to defend against Russia.
    • GOOD - We need to wind down some of our military expenses, and spend it on things like fighting poverty and education.

Guest #1Stunner

image.png.ebd9d61c5193c04224148432a9cc8ade.png

Roughly 34,500 active duty U.S. troops are currently stationed in Germany. The planned reduction announced Tuesday would lower that to 20,000.

There needs to be another option, because there are pros and cons. I want to see all of our foreign bases close and invest in things at home, but I don't like doing this as a knee-jerk reaction. There should be a plan in place that is approved by our allies that will see our troops removed but still have measures to provide support and keep pressure on Putin. A vulnerable Europe is not good for the US.

Trump has shown he can be very petty and spiteful, and this looks like another spiteful move to stick it to someone who offended him, such as Merkel or Macron. I want to see our troops come home, but this is a stupid way to do it.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

38 minutes ago, Naggsty Butler said:

There needs to be another option, because there are pros and cons. I want to see all of our foreign bases close and invest in things at home, but I don't like doing this as a knee-jerk reaction. There should be a plan in place that is approved by our allies that will see our troops removed but still have measures to provide support and keep pressure on Putin. A vulnerable Europe is not good for the US.

Trump has shown he can be very petty and spiteful, and this looks like another spiteful move to stick it to someone who offended him, such as Merkel or Macron. I want to see our troops come home, but this is a stupid way to do it.

Europe has plenty of resources to defend it's self.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Europe has plenty of resources to defend it's self.

The problem is they won’t. That is partly our fault. We have borne the brunt of the costs to keep NATO afloat since day one. That allowed countries like Germany to ignore investing in their own defense. The German military has become a joke. Many of their units can’t deploy because of equipment shortages and manning issues. Those that can deploy need outside support from allies to sustain operations. 

2 minutes ago, sean327 said:

The problem is they won’t. That is partly our fault. We have borne the brunt of the costs to keep NATO afloat since day one. That allowed countries like Germany to ignore investing in their own defense. The German military has become a joke. Many of their units can’t deploy because of equipment shortages and manning issues. Those that can deploy need outside support from allies to sustain operations. 

Sounds like daddy needs to cut off the spoiled kids.

The stated reason is Germany is not spending 2% of GDP on military spending as NATO members have promised.

Germany spent about 1.4% of GDP on the military in 2019.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2019/12/03/nato-summit-the-countries-meeting-the-2-threshold-infographic/#772ab1b11f2c

But the stated reason for the move is inconsistent. We are moving the troops to other countries that spend an even lower percentage on their military budgets.

Some units are going to Italy which uses only about 1.2% of GDP on military spending.

Other units are going to Belgium which spent only 0.9% of GDP on the military.

18 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

The stated reason is Germany is not spending 2% of GDP on military spending as NATO members have promised.

Germany spent about 1.4% of GDP on the military in 2019.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2019/12/03/nato-summit-the-countries-meeting-the-2-threshold-infographic/#772ab1b11f2c

But the stated reason for the move is inconsistent. We are moving the troops to other countries that spend an even lower percentage on their military budgets.

Some units are going to Italy which uses only about 1.2% of GDP on military spending.

Other units are going to Belgium which spent only 0.9% of GDP on the military.

Likely a strategic move by the Pentagon. Does anyone really think Russia is going to invade Europe? Lol. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Likely a strategic move by the Pentagon. Does anyone really think Russia is going to invade Europe? Lol. 

No, but Crimea and South Ossetia should give anyone pause. Europe is a big place. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Part of the old Soviet Union where the majority of people wanted to return. It has no bearing on Europe. 

No, but the baltic states do. If you don't think Moscow would love to repatriate Latvia and Lithuania (as well as Estonia) or recognize the strategic value of doing so, then you're not paying attention.

And any act of war against any of the Baltic states would trigger Article 5 and Europe would indeed be at war with Russia.

It would have been so goddamn easy to get Germany to subsidize some of the logistical cost and/or increase their defense spending with a little diplomacy. Unfortunately, Titslap Magoo's idea of diplomacy is to grab Angela Merkel by the pussy.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

No, but the baltic states do. If you don't think Moscow would love to repatriate Latvia and Lithuania (as well as Estonia) or recognize the strategic value of doing so, then you're not paying attention.

And any act of war against any of the Baltic states would trigger Article 5 and Europe would indeed be at war with Russia.

Russia, Russia, Russia !!! You are paranoid. There will be no war with Russia. I take that back with Biden anything’s possible. 

58 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

So why lie and say it was about the 2% spending promise. That is about as accurate as saying it was retribution since Trump's grandfather was stripped of Bavarian citizenship.

28 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Russia, Russia, Russia !!! You are paranoid. There will be no war with Russia. I take that back with Biden anything’s possible. 

Of course Trump won't go to war with Russia. Putin will just remind him that Russian hackers will release the tax return copies they already have. :rimshot1:

1 minute ago, Nevada6077 said:

I bet that trump can not name all of the nato countries.  anybody think elsewise?  

I am pretty sure most Americans couldn't name every NATO country off the top of their head.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

No offense, but if you're not aware of Moscow's desire to repatriate the Baltic states that separate the Motherland from Kaliningrad you're simply ignorant of the issue. :shrug:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Boy, I tell ya what, that soupslam dude oughta change his name to SUDSSLAM after that backhand follow through, I mean that was about 50 years worth of "act right" served up in 5 seconds!!!! I never feel sorry for monte but GD even I cringed at that one

You ain't at that monte's mesa echo chamber no more homey, you best put a coaster under your glass and throw in some yessirs and yesmaams when youre at that boise dude's house. #JussGD 

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

5 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

I am pretty sure most Americans couldn't name every NATO country off the top of their head.

I’m at least an above average consumer of news, history, geopolitics etc...and I know I couldn’t do it. Who tf is North Macedonia?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I’m at least an above average consumer of news, history, geopolitics etc...and I know I couldn’t do it. Who tf is North Macedonia?

Had to google that shit.  It's 8k square miles, about 1/10th the size of Idaho.

It's a good thing, but I don't like the current plan to spend more money building new bases to move them to.

Just close the bases, and send the troops home. Slow recruitment of new soldiers and transition to a defensive force. Protect our soil, assets and shipping lanes.