Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Last Chance U Season 5

I just finished watching the latest of this series. This one takes place at Laney College in Oakland. It doesn’t  seem as crazy as previous series. Coach John Beam is a lot more personable and caring of his players. He comes across as the type of guy you would want your kid to play for. Tough minded and doesn’t pull any punches with his players, but wants them all to succeed. 

The players as with previous series have had tough lives. One kid lives in his car. Another is a parent with two kids. The other lives with his aunt because he doesn’t get along with his dad. The most talented and cocky earns a scholarship to Oregon State joining a brother there. I think it’s the last one of the series and worth the watch. The saddest thing in all these series is how little the kids seem to care about education. Football is everything and they fail to recognize very few will ever play in the NFL. 

Laney JUCO was where former UNLV coach Tony Sanchez played (before NMSU) and he recruited Laney players (most notably QB Kurt Pallendech).  UNLV legend FB Frank Summers also started his college career there.

A couple years ago Arizona ended JUCO football, making California for the most part the only JUCO ball left on the west coast (Utah has Snow College and New Mexico has NMMI but I think that's all that's left west of Kansas and Texas).  Arizona tried to continue JUCO ball as a sort of club sport, but it won't last.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The saddest thing in all these series is how little the kids seem to care about education. Football is everything and they fail to recognize very few will ever play in the NFL. 

Young black kids are told sports is “the way out” from a young age, so of course that is going to be their mindset. I find it sad that you just chalk this up to some “personal responsibility” bullshit that they just don’t “care about education”. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I just finished watching the latest of this series. This one takes place at Laney College in Oakland. It doesn’t  seem as crazy as previous series. Coach John Beam is a lot more personable and caring of his players. He comes across as the type of guy you would want your kid to play for. Tough minded and doesn’t pull any punches with his players, but wants them all to succeed. 

The players as with previous series have had tough lives. One kid lives in his car. Another is a parent with two kids. The other lives with his aunt because he doesn’t get along with his dad. The most talented and cocky earns a scholarship to Oregon State joining a brother there. I think it’s the last one of the series and worth the watch. The saddest thing in all these series is how little the kids seem to care about education. Football is everything and they fail to recognize very few will ever play in the NFL. 

The kid who was living in his car is Dior Walker-Scott.  He's now on the Hawaii football roster.  Apparently he was offered a preferred walk-on spot and is now enrolled at UH.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/07/30/sports/sports-breaking/football-player-interested-in-playing-at-hawaii-featured-on-latest-season-of-last-chance-u/

https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/football/roster/dior-scott/18883

Liked the players a lot compared to other seasons. These guys weren't giving anything plus 90% of the players get through academically. The problem is lower economic people tend to not embrace middle class. It's feast or famine.

Watching it right now.  This is the last season ever. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

They are doing basketball next year.

Oh nice.  I didn’t know that. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Pretty standard stuff for juco ball. Worked with a kid this summer who moved to SoCal from Alaska just for a chance at a roster spot.  

Also, it’s not that they “don’t care” about education, it’s that the message from coaches and even their parents their whole lives has been that their job in school is just to stay eligible. And to get Cs, even in difficult or advanced classes, is not that hard. If you show up and appear to make an effort, that’s often enough. And in juco ball where there are no scholarships, they’re often balancing school, football, and a part-time job all while having been uprooted from their support system back home. They have challenges that most regular students can’t even fathom. In fact, the athletic dept where I work signs every new recruit up for an ebt card just so they can eat. 

All this just for a chance at maybe getting a scholarship. Or maybe a partial one. Or maybe a chance to walk on. Or just the chance to continue their education, at their own expense, at a lower-division school. Most wash out, and that sucks. There’s no reason that they shouldn’t all transfer, even if just as a regular student. 

22 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Young black kids are told sports is “the way out” from a young age, so of course that is going to be their mindset. I find it sad that you just chalk this up to some “personal responsibility” bullshit that they just don’t “care about education”. 

Could it be the wrong message is being sent? Very few of these kids are going to be getting paid to play a sport as an adult while millions can make a livable wage with a college degree. The one kid said it all when he said football is all I’m good at. If I don’t have football I have nothing. 

The one thing I noticed and liked about this season over the previous ones, was the attitude of the kids and the coaches. These kids weren’t prima donnas for the most part. Most of them weren’t selfish dickheads like the previously spotlighted players. And these coaches seemed to have the kids best interests in mind. The giant over the top ego wasn’t evident. I enjoyed this season more than the previous ones.

10 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Could it be the wrong message is being sent? Very few of these kids are going to be getting paid to play a sport as an adult while millions can make a livable wage with a college degree. The one kid said it all when he said football is all I’m good at. If I don’t have football I have nothing. 

“Sports are the only way out is a great message to send to young black kids!”

- said no one, ever