Jump to content
madmartigan

Alarming trend worsening COVID-19

Recommended Posts

Rising Obesity. If you have a BMI  of 35-40, risk of death increases by 40%. Those with a BMI over 40 have a 90% greater risk of dying compared to those that are not obese. Even being mildly obese makes it 5x more likely that catching the virus will put you in the ICU. Whenever the socialized vs privitized medicine debate is brought up, I insist the wrong problem is being discussed. IF you looked at every dollar we spend on healthcare in this country .80 cents on the dollar is spent on preventable diseases caused by obesity: diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, etc. 

This should be a wake up call to Americans. COVID is the biggest fat shamer that there is. 

We need to improve the food supply, our diets, and give underpriviliged folks the ability to purchase healthy food. I'm starting to believe one of the biggest reasons COVID is hitting us and parts of LATAM so much harder than Asia, is because we are so much fatter. 

America's Obesity Rate: 42%

Japan: 6% 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-obesity/obesity-increases-risks-of-death-from-covid-19-public-health-england-idUSKCN24P2Q9

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gained 20-30 lbs since January. Going to the gym was big for me and I have really struggled to keep control of my weight. I'm moving to San Diego on Monday and plan on spending everyday on the beach going running with my son. Hopefully I can get it back under control.

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Naggsty Butler said:

I've gained 20-30 lbs since January. Going to the gym was big for me and I have really struggled to keep control of my weight. I'm moving to San Diego on Monday and plan on spending everyday on the beach going running with my son. Hopefully I can get it back under control.

Welcome ! It's a helluva city.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Naggsty Butler said:

I've gained 20-30 lbs since January. Going to the gym was big for me and I have really struggled to keep control of my weight. I'm moving to San Diego on Monday and plan on spending everyday on the beach going running with my son. Hopefully I can get it back under control.

Don't pass up on the hundreds of miles of killer biking and hiking trails either. San Diego is a Mecca for fitness activities. You'll find it easy to get into and maintain good shape here without being dependent on going to a gym.

And welcome to San Diego! :cheers:

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Rising Obesity. If you have a BMI  of 35-40, risk of death increases by 40%. Those with a BMI over 40 have a 90% greater risk of dying compared to those that are not obese. Even being mildly obese makes it 5x more likely that catching the virus will put you in the ICU. Whenever the socialized vs privitized medicine debate is brought up, I insist the wrong problem is being discussed. IF you looked at every dollar we spend on healthcare in this country .80 cents on the dollar is spent on preventable diseases caused by obesity: diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, etc. 

This should be a wake up call to Americans. COVID is the biggest fat shamer that there is. 

We need to improve the food supply, our diets, and give underpriviliged folks the ability to purchase healthy food. I'm starting to believe one of the biggest reasons COVID is hitting us and parts of LATAM so much harder than Asia, is because we are so much fatter. 

America's Obesity Rate: 42%

Japan: 6% 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-obesity/obesity-increases-risks-of-death-from-covid-19-public-health-england-idUSKCN24P2Q9

 

My guess is that old people are statistically more likely to die from COVID, and also are typically in worse physical condition than younger people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They’re going to look at factory-farmed meat, packaged junk food, fast food, soda, etc in the future the way we look at cigarettes now. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, madmartigan said:

We need to improve the food supply, our diets, and give underpriviliged folks the ability to purchase healthy food.

Do they not already have that option via food stamps?

Should the government ban frozen foods, sugar sodas, etc, etc...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

 

That makes me sad, obviously a victim of too many Mormon potato’s - don’t blame him as they are to die for.  

  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The girlfriend and I have dropped a ton of 

2 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

I've gained 20-30 lbs since January. Going to the gym was big for me and I have really struggled to keep control of my weight. I'm moving to San Diego on Monday and plan on spending everyday on the beach going running with my son. Hopefully I can get it back under control.

The girlfriend and I have dropped a lot of weight since moving from Chicago to Sanibel, FL.  We get on the bikes every evening for 7 miles and I’m also wading the flats to fish...

 

F09690DE-835F-4711-A5F1-03A469839651.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

The girlfriend and I have dropped a ton of 

The girlfriend and I have dropped a lot of weight since moving from Chicago to Sanibel, FL.  We get on the bikes every evening for 7 miles and I’m also wading the flats to fish...

 

F09690DE-835F-4711-A5F1-03A469839651.jpeg

Yeah I'll be at Mission Bay which has a 12 mile bike trail going around it. I am seriously considering buying a bike to take advantage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Yeah I'll be at Mission Bay which has a 12 mile bike trail going around it. I am seriously considering buying a bike to take advantage.

Do it!

We just use simple island cruisers, a lot of fun.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

 

My guess is that old people are statistically more likely to die from COVID, and also are typically in worse physical condition than younger people. 

Asian countries are much older on average than the US. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Yeah I'll be at Mission Bay which has a 12 mile bike trail going around it. I am seriously considering buying a bike to take advantage.

I'd love to move to SD. Cost of living is so much higher than SLC though. Save me a fish taco or two. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

I've gained 20-30 lbs since January. Going to the gym was big for me and I have really struggled to keep control of my weight. I'm moving to San Diego on Monday and plan on spending everyday on the beach going running with my son. Hopefully I can get it back under control.

Do a lot of walking first.  It's just as effective as running for weight loss and a helluavlot safer if you're overweight. No need to rush through life.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

The girlfriend and I have dropped a ton of 

The girlfriend and I have dropped a lot of weight since moving from Chicago to Sanibel, FL.  We get on the bikes every evening for 7 miles and I’m also wading the flats to fish...

 

F09690DE-835F-4711-A5F1-03A469839651.jpeg

Looks beautiful man!

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Asian countries are much older on average than the US. 

There are different strains of the virus that are more or less deadly.

The strain in Korea was far less deadly than the strain in Italy and New York. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...