Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Alarming trend worsening COVID-19

Rising Obesity. If you have a BMI  of 35-40, risk of death increases by 40%. Those with a BMI over 40 have a 90% greater risk of dying compared to those that are not obese. Even being mildly obese makes it 5x more likely that catching the virus will put you in the ICU. Whenever the socialized vs privitized medicine debate is brought up, I insist the wrong problem is being discussed. IF you looked at every dollar we spend on healthcare in this country .80 cents on the dollar is spent on preventable diseases caused by obesity: diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, etc. 

This should be a wake up call to Americans. COVID is the biggest fat shamer that there is. 

We need to improve the food supply, our diets, and give underpriviliged folks the ability to purchase healthy food. I'm starting to believe one of the biggest reasons COVID is hitting us and parts of LATAM so much harder than Asia, is because we are so much fatter. 

America's Obesity Rate: 42%

Japan: 6% 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-obesity/obesity-increases-risks-of-death-from-covid-19-public-health-england-idUSKCN24P2Q9

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

I've gained 20-30 lbs since January. Going to the gym was big for me and I have really struggled to keep control of my weight. I'm moving to San Diego on Monday and plan on spending everyday on the beach going running with my son. Hopefully I can get it back under control.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

1 hour ago, Naggsty Butler said:

I've gained 20-30 lbs since January. Going to the gym was big for me and I have really struggled to keep control of my weight. I'm moving to San Diego on Monday and plan on spending everyday on the beach going running with my son. Hopefully I can get it back under control.

Welcome ! It's a helluva city.

1 hour ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Don't pass up on the hundreds of miles of killer biking and hiking trails either. San Diego is a Mecca for fitness activities. You'll find it easy to get into and maintain good shape here without being dependent on going to a gym.

And welcome to San Diego! :cheers:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Guest #1Stunner
9 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Rising Obesity. If you have a BMI  of 35-40, risk of death increases by 40%. Those with a BMI over 40 have a 90% greater risk of dying compared to those that are not obese. Even being mildly obese makes it 5x more likely that catching the virus will put you in the ICU. Whenever the socialized vs privitized medicine debate is brought up, I insist the wrong problem is being discussed. IF you looked at every dollar we spend on healthcare in this country .80 cents on the dollar is spent on preventable diseases caused by obesity: diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, etc. 

This should be a wake up call to Americans. COVID is the biggest fat shamer that there is. 

We need to improve the food supply, our diets, and give underpriviliged folks the ability to purchase healthy food. I'm starting to believe one of the biggest reasons COVID is hitting us and parts of LATAM so much harder than Asia, is because we are so much fatter. 

America's Obesity Rate: 42%

Japan: 6% 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-obesity/obesity-increases-risks-of-death-from-covid-19-public-health-england-idUSKCN24P2Q9

My guess is that old people are statistically more likely to die from COVID, and also are typically in worse physical condition than younger people. 

9 hours ago, madmartigan said:

We need to improve the food supply, our diets, and give underpriviliged folks the ability to purchase healthy food.

Do they not already have that option via food stamps?

Should the government ban frozen foods, sugar sodas, etc, etc...

The girlfriend and I have dropped a ton of 

2 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

The girlfriend and I have dropped a lot of weight since moving from Chicago to Sanibel, FL.  We get on the bikes every evening for 7 miles and I’m also wading the flats to fish...

F09690DE-835F-4711-A5F1-03A469839651.jpeg

9 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

The girlfriend and I have dropped a lot of weight since moving from Chicago to Sanibel, FL.  We get on the bikes every evening for 7 miles and I’m also wading the flats to fish...

Yeah I'll be at Mission Bay which has a 12 mile bike trail going around it. I am seriously considering buying a bike to take advantage.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

43 minutes ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Yeah I'll be at Mission Bay which has a 12 mile bike trail going around it. I am seriously considering buying a bike to take advantage.

Do it!

We just use simple island cruisers, a lot of fun.  

12 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

My guess is that old people are statistically more likely to die from COVID, and also are typically in worse physical condition than younger people. 

Asian countries are much older on average than the US. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

I'd love to move to SD. Cost of living is so much higher than SLC though. Save me a fish taco or two. 

14 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Do a lot of walking first.  It's just as effective as running for weight loss and a helluavlot safer if you're overweight. No need to rush through life.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

12 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Looks beautiful man!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Asian countries are much older on average than the US. 

There are different strains of the virus that are more or less deadly.

The strain in Korea was far less deadly than the strain in Italy and New York.