Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

Really MW just move football to the SPRING!!! It is so obvious

It is a thousand percent clear that college football is going to be more like the MLB (no bubble every team is at risk of their season basically being over with one outbreak) than the NBA (bubble= no cases unless someone sneaks out/in without notifying the NBA). College football can't force students into a bubble and they have even less testing resources than the MLB. Any conference that plays in the fall is almost guaranteed to have one team be eliminated by COVID. I mean if half your team gets it (see the Marlins) for college football that means 3 weeks off (10-14 day recovery period plus would next a 7 day minny training camp before playing a full speed game). Most other teams will lose at least some key players at some point during the season. 

The only way to avoid this is for either herd immunity or a vaccine. Herd immunity will probably take at least another year and certainty wont happen in 6 more weeks. A vaccine could come late this year or early next year. 

So the only reason to play in the fall is

-safety of the players. More chance of a COVID outbreak in the fall BUT that might be less hazardous than playing 20-25 football games in about a year. Honestly I don't know which is a greater health risk so I won't comment.

-NFL overlords. If they don't push draft back that puts the Big-5 (especially SEC) on a timer. The players will simply skip their jr/sr year of leave part way through the season. This would be an issue of the MW (ie maybe lose 8-12 players throughout the conference) but not on the same degree. 

-TV overlords. If they say play in the fall or no (or less) tv money that puts pressure on conference.

-If you are competing for a national championship. The MW has ZERO teams that would be invited the college playoff is they go 12-0 vs only MW teams. So not relevant for us

-perception. Who cares! The big-5 already think of us as little sisters of the poor. The goal of this year should be to get as many games in as possible not trick ourselves to thinking we are on par with the Big-5 conferences. 

A Spring season equals

-less (football) tv competition. 

-better chance of actually having a season. I mean if we get a vaccine come January players can get it then and start the season in February. If there is no vaccine you are basically in the same spot as the fall EXPECT a greater percentage of players would have already gotten COVID so a catastrophic outbreak is less likely.

-FANS in the STAND. A spring season could very well equals fans for part or most of the season. 

My plan

-MW announces they will play a spring season. The tentative fall camp starts 1/4/21 but can be flexed back until 2/1/21. Start playing games 4 weeks after camp starts.

-MW plays a round robin. Currently that means 11 games over 12 weeks. Would give you 61 games of TV inventory. 

-MW offers to make BYU a one season member. BYU must pay each MW team 200k (2.2 mil total). They keep overship of their 6 home games. The MW bumps their TV inventory to 67 games. 

-MW champ game @ the team #1 team in the standings. One would hope there would be fans by then (range of early May to late May depending on when season starts). So even if a team goes 11/12-0 they won't be total screwed by having to play the #2 team again.

I'm in total agreement. I wish all conferences would just move to spring. It would be fun to have both football and basketball at the same time.

Yea lets make these Kids play two seasons in one year and disregard the risk of higher injury and recovery.  NCAA won't do that.

13 minutes ago, Billings said:

Yea lets make these Kids play two seasons in one year and disregard the risk of higher injury and recovery.  NCAA won't do that.

Then we should shut season down now. I mean COVID is also a risk... Like I said I am not sure what is a greater risk COVID or playing 20-25 games in a year. 

edit- or a compromise would be to have a 8 game season in the spring + conference champ game. That would reduce some of the injury risk by shaving a month of the season. Plus you would also be skipping spring ball. Not saying there is a huge risk to get hurt in the spring but some players always do.  

21 minutes ago, bigd said:

I'm in total agreement. I wish all conferences would just move to spring. It would be fun to have both football and basketball at the same time.

Would be a glorious spring. Especially if we get a solid vaccine and can start attending games again. I don't know about everyone else but I am definitely gonna increase my in game attendance after this. I was getting use to just watching the game from the comfort of my own home/big screen. But this (both the lack of sports and seeing this games without fans) really makes me want to go to games in person.

16 minutes ago, Blue voodoo said:

Ncaa would do that cause its all about money they don't care about injuries.lol

I mean the NCAA is not really make that much money off of college football. Don't they just make money off championship/playoff games +NCAAT tv? So are they making ANYTHING off MW football? I mean none of our schools are going to the playoff. 

52 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

It is a thousand percent clear that college football is going to be more like the MLB (no bubble every team is at risk of their season basically being over with one outbreak) than the NBA (bubble= no cases unless someone sneaks out/in without notifying the NBA). College football can't force students into a bubble and they have even less testing resources than the MLB. Any conference that plays in the fall is almost guaranteed to have one team be eliminated by COVID. I mean if half your team gets it (see the Marlins) for college football that means 3 weeks off (10-14 day recovery period plus would next a 7 day minny training camp before playing a full speed game). Most other teams will lose at least some key players at some point during the season. 

The only way to avoid this is for either herd immunity or a vaccine. Herd immunity will probably take at least another year and certainty wont happen in 6 more weeks. A vaccine could come late this year or early next year. 

So the only reason to play in the fall is

-safety of the players. More chance of a COVID outbreak in the fall BUT that might be less hazardous than playing 20-25 football games in about a year. Honestly I don't know which is a greater health risk so I won't comment.

-NFL overlords. If they don't push draft back that puts the Big-5 (especially SEC) on a timer. The players will simply skip their jr/sr year of leave part way through the season. This would be an issue of the MW (ie maybe lose 8-12 players throughout the conference) but not on the same degree. 

-TV overlords. If they say play in the fall or no (or less) tv money that puts pressure on conference.

-If you are competing for a national championship. The MW has ZERO teams that would be invited the college playoff is they go 12-0 vs only MW teams. So not relevant for us

-perception. Who cares! The big-5 already think of us as little sisters of the poor. The goal of this year should be to get as many games in as possible not trick ourselves to thinking we are on par with the Big-5 conferences. 

A Spring season equals

-less (football) tv competition. 

-better chance of actually having a season. I mean if we get a vaccine come January players can get it then and start the season in February. If there is no vaccine you are basically in the same spot as the fall EXPECT a greater percentage of players would have already gotten COVID so a catastrophic outbreak is less likely.

-FANS in the STAND. A spring season could very well equals fans for part or most of the season. 

My plan

-MW announces they will play a spring season. The tentative fall camp starts 1/4/21 but can be flexed back until 2/1/21. Start playing games 4 weeks after camp starts.

-MW plays a round robin. Currently that means 11 games over 12 weeks. Would give you 61 games of TV inventory. 

-MW offers to make BYU a one season member. BYU must pay each MW team 200k (2.2 mil total). They keep overship of their 6 home games. The MW bumps their TV inventory to 67 games. 

-MW champ game @ the team #1 team in the standings. One would hope there would be fans by then (range of early May to late May depending on when season starts). So even if a team goes 11/12-0 they won't be total screwed by having to play the #2 team again.

Is BYU eligible to play Hawaii in the CCG

The Masters 5k road race All American.

6 minutes ago, Blue voodoo said:

IT'S funny too me that they can get a virus vaccine for covid-19  but the can't for the common cold or flu.

There is a flu vaccine the problem is it mutates every year, this doesn’t.  And the common cold doesn’t kill people or leave them with life long health issues. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

53 minutes ago, Billings said:

Then why not move college football to the spring permanently?  You aren't competing with the NFL - attendance might actually start going back up.  Plus your bowl games are warm weather events no matter where they are held.  That's better for locations in the northern parts of the country. 

2 hours ago, Billings said:

Is that really true though? If an abbreviated conference only season started in February and ended in May with no bowl games, the players would have two months to rest prior to fall camp in 2021. Granted players injured in the spring season would be less likely to play come fall. 

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

And you would know this how? 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/10-flu-myths

6. MYTH: You don't need to get a flu shot every year.

The influenza virus changes (mutates) each year. So getting vaccinated each year is important to make sure you have immunity to the strains most likely to cause an outbreak.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Blue voodoo said:

Interesting.  I didn’t know that.  So I admit I was wrong.  Still doesn’t mean CV-19 is any less dangerous

1 hour ago, Blue voodoo said:

Not sure what the point of this article is though. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

I’m referring to Covid not the flu. How would you know it doesn’t mutate? I believe it already has. At this point the epidemiologists know nothing about it’s long term effects. 

I’m wrong.  It has mutated.  I stand corrected.  Weird, somebody on the internet admitted they were wrong. 

2 hours ago, Blue voodoo said:

IT'S funny too me that they can get a virus vaccine for covid-19  but the can't for the common cold or flu.

All about $$.  That and flu and cold viruses mutate quickly

It will be pushed to the Spring, its just a matter of when they announce it.  Does the MWC want to be first?  I don't know.  But all conferences will be moving to the spring.  There is zero chance college football will be played in the fall.

Conferences are moving games to late September, but that will do nothing.  By then all the college kids will be on campus mixing in with the football players.  The virus will spread like wild fire.  You can't expect college students to be in a bubble or always be isolated.  Professional MLB players can't even do it.  MLB is testing every day, but for college football the current plan is for teams to test once a week on Thursday, then fly commercial and bus together as a team to games?  Ya right, if someone has it they won't know until after they arrive and by then half the team will probably contract it with the way teams travel.  I have no idea how they think this will work in any way, shape or form.

Oh and then in the winter we get flu season so that mixed in with Covid-19 should be fun.

As far as starting fall camp on 1/4, I'm sure Wyoming isn't to crazy about that.  Man is it cold then.  Can you practice during that time of year outdoors?

1 hour ago, namssa said:

It will be pushed to the Spring, its just a matter of when they announce it.  Does the MWC want to be first?  I don't know.  But all conferences will be moving to the spring.  There is zero chance college football will be played in the fall.

Conferences are moving games to late September, but that will do nothing.  By then all the college kids will be on campus mixing in with the football players.  The virus will spread like wild fire.  You can't expect college students to be in a bubble or always be isolated.  Professional MLB players can't even do it.  MLB is testing every day, but for college football the current plan is for teams to test once a week on Thursday, then fly commercial and bus together as a team to games?  Ya right, if someone has it they won't know until after they arrive and by then half the team will probably contract it with the way teams travel.  I have no idea how they think this will work in any way, shape or form.

Oh and then in the winter we get flu season so that mixed in with Covid-19 should be fun.

As far as starting fall camp on 1/4, I'm sure Wyoming isn't to crazy about that.  Man is it cold then.  Can you practice during that time of year outdoors?

Uhh wyo has a full indoor football field and practice facilitirs.  CSU?  Not so much

besides colder in michigan, minnesota, wisconsin, etc

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

There is a flu vaccine the problem is it mutates every year, this doesn’t.  And the common cold doesn’t kill people or leave them with life long health issues. 

Yep, they "guess" for the flu every year. Some years they are more right than others. Typical colds at both not as dangerous and mutate more. COVID-19 (at for now) isn't mutating too much to make a vaccine and is also deadly enough to justify a vaccine. 

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

I’m wrong.  It has mutated.  I stand corrected.  Weird, somebody on the internet admitted they were wrong. 

The type of mutation matters. If the part the vaccine is attacking doesn't mutate the vaccine will still be effective. As far as I am aware the current mutations should not limit the potential of the vaccines to work.