The Ghost of Jack Graham

If it goes MWC conference only, how many games, what format?

On 8/1/2020 at 11:21 AM, JoeBlo said:

*Sigh

Direct from the ACC release on scheduling 

All non-conference game opponents, selected by the respective school, 

must be played in the home state of the ACC institution,

and all non-conference opponents must meet the medical protocol requirements as agreed upon by the ACC

3rd bullet point under ACC Football, separation by me for clarification.

https://theacc.com/news/2020/7/29/general-acc-announces-plans-for-football-and-fall-olympic-sports.aspx

The SEC really screwed the ACC.   They did a plus 1 to play Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida and then SEC said no.   Now if they attempt to get out of games they are more liable to be sued.

We'll play 10-12 conference-only games and the conference will welcome BYU and NMSU as football only members just for this season.

13 hours ago, Ibanez said:

It looks like the MWC is gonna join the other G5 conferences and try to play a whole season. Looks like BYU is getting bailed out as well.

That’s some bullshit 

• Cheers 1
9 hours ago, mugtang said:

That’s some bullshit 

I don't think it will be MW saving them. AAC will announce a 8+2 or 9+1 or +2 end of the week once they sort out their ACC and B12 games.

MW will go back to the conference only model. CUSA and the SEC teams will mostly settle the money for cancelled buy games over the next two weeks and BYU will pay 5m+ to get itself a 9/10 game schedule out of CUSA with maybe an independent or two. UMass should announce it is cancelling 2020 soon. Not sure it will take longer than a week for UConn to follow.

I like the idea of allowing having the season as long as possible and trying to set up games every other week.  The more time you have in between games the more time you have for your positive asymptomatic players to be quarantined in-in between games, etc.  Scheduling less than a full schedule allows you to be more flexible when outbreaks inevitably occur.   You have to plan for outbreaks by allowing flexibility within the schedule.

11 hours ago, sactowndog said:

The SEC really screwed the ACC.   They did a plus 1 to play Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida and then SEC said no.   Now if they attempt to get out of games they are more liable to be sued.

ACC screwed themselves.  They did that to force the SEC's hand, and the SEC called their bluff.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:20 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

They make a certain amount of sense, but they’re both admissions that it isn’t safe to play these games at all. The nba and nhl built bubbles. That’s not feasible for football, so I think we’re stuck waiting for a vaccine. I doubt we get more than a few games into the season - college and nfl - before it’s shut down. 

I doubt it will get past the first few weeks of fall practice. The league commissioners and ADs are thinking of the money lost instead of the players. 

46 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

I like the idea of allowing having the season as long as possible and trying to set up games every other week.  The more time you have in between games the more time you have for your positive asymptomatic players to be quarantined in-in between games, etc.  Scheduling less than a full schedule allows you to be more flexible when outbreaks inevitably occur.   You have to plan for outbreaks by allowing flexibility within the schedule.

Im for shutting it down right now. The ramifications of this virus go way beyond the football field. People are suffering long term lung and heart damage. It’s not worth playing a season of football. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Im for shutting it down right now. The ramifications of this virus go way beyond the football field. People are suffering long term lung and heart damage. It’s not worth playing a season of football. 

Big 10 is seriously considering it. They are having outbreaks every where

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I actually am too.  It would be very hard for me to watch football and not feel guilty that they are putting themselves in danger for my entertainment.  I would be absolutely devastated if a player from my team (or one I follow) died or had a long-term injury because of this.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Sadly this is where I am at.  I bet the B1G and Pac still cancel the season. 

If 1 MWC player or coach dies, I hope the presidents can live with themselves.