The Ghost of Jack Graham

If it goes MWC conference only, how many games, what format?

1 hour ago, Zoomie said:

Navy wants ND because it was moved to Annapolis and that's a big money game.  That game is now in jeopardy as ACC requires OOC games to be played in an ACC state which Maryland is not.  For the game to be played, it would now have to move to South Bend which makes the game less appetizing for Navy.

Army will take anything they can get being Independent, plus the AF game would be a home game for them this year.

Both Navy and Air Force would require waivers from their respective conferences if the conferences choose conference only games and/or travel restrictions

Since all three academies are "closed" campuses - it's very easy to maintain protocol and testing measures to keep the games on the docket.

55 minutes ago, RSF said:

Navy wants ND because after Army its their biggest game.  And there are several places it could be played where it has been played in the past.  PA, NY and MA are all ACC states, too.  And given crowd restrictions the big money is in TV, not attendance.  And TV doesnt care where it is.  They were willing to broadcast it from Ireland.  They'll be willing to broadcast from Yasgur's farm if need be.  And both teams would be willing to play it there, too.

Ok lots of almost info in here. One the ACC game must be played in the ACC state of team playing i.e. Clemson in SC, Syracuse in NY. 

Notre Dame has stayed in touch with Navy. They consider this game the way a person promises to go to church if God saves their child and the baby lives. Notre Dame no longer exists as a University if Navy doesn't put an officers school there. Not their football program, but the actual school itself. The only bond stronger than that to Navy is Army. Navy would quit the AAC in a heartbeat if the conference made Army and ND difficult. Which will never happen because the AAC invited Navy based partly on those games.

ND will get a waiver to play the moved game from Ireland, in Annapolis, or Navy will play them in South Bend or Indianapolis. Navy never plays Army or ND at home anyway. They will work it out as will Army/Navy.

Army and Navy will play. It will happen, some where.

AFA is an after thought. I am sure if possible they will keep it, but they will sacrafice it in a heartbeat, for conference, for ND, or for Army. The pride/armed forces rivalry is important but AFA doesn't carry a century of history with it. People will be sad, but then move on if AFA/Navy drops. 

The ACC stipulated that the nonconference game for each school "must take place in the home state of an ACC team."

Doesnt say anything about who's home state.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

The ACC stipulated that the nonconference game for each school "must take place in the home state of an ACC team."

Doesnt say anything about who's home state.

*Sigh

Direct from the ACC release on scheduling 

All non-conference game opponents, selected by the respective school, 

must be played in the home state of the ACC institution,

and all non-conference opponents must meet the medical protocol requirements as agreed upon by the ACC

3rd bullet point under ACC Football, separation by me for clarification.

https://theacc.com/news/2020/7/29/general-acc-announces-plans-for-football-and-fall-olympic-sports.aspx

Play a true round robin. Eleven games in conf plus an Indy. Top two teams in CCG.

• Like 1

True round robin.

Plus the three most important weeks

Rivalry week: Wyoming vs Colorado State, SDSU vs Fresno State, Hawaii vs SJSU, Nevada vs UNLV, Air Force vs New Mexico, and Boise State vs Utah State

Championship week: Boise State vs the runner-ups

And BYU can suck it week- All MWC teams on bye

• Like 1

Can someone explain how playing only conference games is safer? It’s either safe to play or it isn’t. Teams will be traveling either way, the testing is the same either way. I really don’t get it. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Can someone explain how playing only conference games is safer? It’s either safe to play or it isn’t. Teams will be traveling either way, the testing is the same either way. I really don’t get it. 

The only arguments here are first...with conference only games there is more latitude to rearrange the schedule in case of an outbreak.  Secondly, each conference has certain safety protocols and by going conference only they know that all competitors have followed all the protocols.

Both arguments are BS, but those are the arguments.

32 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

The only arguments here are first...with conference only games there is more latitude to rearrange the schedule in case of an outbreak.  Secondly, each conference has certain safety protocols and by going conference only they know that all competitors have followed all the protocols.

Depends. So it is about control which is also why you see them delaying the schedule, including bye weeks, and having stretch scenarios for the championship game. I can promise you there is an alternate division only schedule as well just in case they have to chop games.

It's also about standards, are you going to really sit here tell me that Wyoming is going to meet the same sort of standards as Ohio St? Not just the wealth but those big ten schools come with their own medical schools and research labs. They have massive amounts of capacity that smaller schools simply don't. Most of the P5 are set up that way.

We think sports, but when the presidents make decisions about athletics they think academics, it's why Boise will never be PAC 12 material, it's why the Ivy League is immune to expansion or any outward pressures whatsoever. It's why Rutgers was ok buy West Virginia wasn't. Why it took Clemson and Florida St throwing a hissy fit to get Louisville and not UConn and even then it was probably only because of their basketball passed as well. Essentially holding their nose because Notre Dame wouldn't budge the ACC presidents gave a tiny bit on athletics.

So yeah the standards argument isn't BS, but maybe the scheduling one is.

5 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

Depends. So it is about control which is also why you see them delaying the schedule, including bye weeks, and having stretch scenarios for the championship game. I can promise you there is an alternate division only schedule as well just in case they have to chop games.

It's also about standards, are you going to really sit here tell me that Wyoming is going to meet the same sort of standards as Ohio St? Not just the wealth but those big ten schools come with their own medical schools and research labs. They have massive amounts of capacity that smaller schools simply don't. Most of the P5 are set up that way.

We think sports, but when the presidents make decisions about athletics they think academics, it's why Boise will never be PAC 12 material, it's why the Ivy League is immune to expansion or any outward pressures whatsoever. It's why Rutgers was ok buy West Virginia wasn't. Why it took Clemson and Florida St throwing a hissy fit to get Louisville and not UConn and even then it was probably only because of their basketball passed as well. Essentially holding their nose because Notre Dame wouldn't budge the ACC presidents gave a tiny bit on athletics.

So yeah the standards argument isn't BS, but maybe the scheduling one is.

The standards argument is BS.  You don't need a medical school on campus to follow basic safety protocols.  I'm sure every FBS school in the country has the same protocols.

6 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

The standards argument is BS.  You don't need a medical school on campus to follow basic safety protocols.  I'm sure every FBS school in the country has the same protocols.

No they won't nor will all schools be able to afford it. Some conferences are talking about daily testing. That's a pretty steep cost going out at a 100+ people on each team, plus conference officials, media relations people, etc.  Others are going with a pre game test. Not to mention all the ppe and cleaning that they will expect done. You have seen the budget differences and the research grant differences? Boise got a world recognized epidemiology lab like Washington does? How big is NM St's world class laboratory? These are two different worlds.

52 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

They make a certain amount of sense, but they’re both admissions that it isn’t safe to play these games at all. The nba and nhl built bubbles. That’s not feasible for football, so I think we’re stuck waiting for a vaccine. I doubt we get more than a few games into the season - college and nfl - before it’s shut down. 

8 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

They make a certain amount of sense, but they’re both admissions that it isn’t safe to play these games at all. The nba and nhl built bubbles. That’s not feasible for football, so I think we’re stuck waiting for a vaccine. I doubt we get more than a few games into the season - college and nfl - before it’s shut down. 

You say admissions, I'll go with assertions.  I say play ball.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

It looks like the MWC is gonna join the other G5 conferences and try to play a whole season. Looks like BYU is getting bailed out as well.

I wonder if they're taking this stance so that they have standing to sue P5 conference teams who are unilaterally cancelling "money" games.

Seems like it might be part of a negotiating strategy. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I wonder if they're taking this stance so that they have standing to sue P5 conference teams who are unilaterally cancelling "money" games.

Well for the G5 it's about trying to save as much cash as possible. And really, what's the difference between 10 and 12 games? Kids are gonna get sick regardless. But this was the MWC just saying "To Hell with it " and following everyone else which I don't really agree with.

Plus, helps they are getting some nice bonus incentives from FOX. I'm sure that helped on doing a complete reversal from Thursdays thinking. The MWC is lucky they are the only G5 on FOX sports networks.

I'm sure some teams are gonna try and sue. Florida State is doing a make-up date with Boise in 2024. I do know the PAC-12 teams are all gonna make up their games with the MWC teams plus compensate them for this season as well. Utah for example is gonna reschedule the game at Laramie but also are paying the U of Wyoming part of that return game this year.

I like the idea of an 8 game schedule and Wyoming going 8-0 to capture the 2020 Border War Championship!!

Sep. 5: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Sep. 12: Colorado State @ Wyoming

Sep. 19: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Sep. 26: Colorado State @ Wyoming

Oct. 3: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Oct. 17: Colorado State @ Wyoming

Oct. 24: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Nov. 28: Colorado State @ Wyoming

1 minute ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I like the idea of an 8 game schedule and Wyoming going 8-0 to capture the 2020 Border War Championship!!

Sep. 5: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Sep. 12: Colorado State @ Wyoming

Sep. 19: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Sep. 26: Colorado State @ Wyoming

Oct. 3: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Oct. 17: Colorado State @ Wyoming

Oct. 24: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Nov. 28: Colorado State @ Wyoming

You would still find a way to lose it to Boise State.

7 hours ago, renoskier said:

This ^.   Certain teams force Majure contracts were not well written leaving terms open for teams to sue and win concessions.  But if conference says conference only the likely lose standing.