Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ghost of Jack Graham

If it goes MWC conference only, how many games, what format?

2 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Can someone explain how playing only conference games is safer? It’s either safe to play or it isn’t. Teams will be traveling either way, the testing is the same either way. I really don’t get it. 

The only arguments here are first...with conference only games there is more latitude to rearrange the schedule in case of an outbreak.  Secondly, each conference has certain safety protocols and by going conference only they know that all competitors have followed all the protocols.

Both arguments are BS, but those are the arguments.

32 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

The only arguments here are first...with conference only games there is more latitude to rearrange the schedule in case of an outbreak.  Secondly, each conference has certain safety protocols and by going conference only they know that all competitors have followed all the protocols.

Depends. So it is about control which is also why you see them delaying the schedule, including bye weeks, and having stretch scenarios for the championship game. I can promise you there is an alternate division only schedule as well just in case they have to chop games.

It's also about standards, are you going to really sit here tell me that Wyoming is going to meet the same sort of standards as Ohio St? Not just the wealth but those big ten schools come with their own medical schools and research labs. They have massive amounts of capacity that smaller schools simply don't. Most of the P5 are set up that way.

We think sports, but when the presidents make decisions about athletics they think academics, it's why Boise will never be PAC 12 material, it's why the Ivy League is immune to expansion or any outward pressures whatsoever. It's why Rutgers was ok buy West Virginia wasn't. Why it took Clemson and Florida St throwing a hissy fit to get Louisville and not UConn and even then it was probably only because of their basketball passed as well. Essentially holding their nose because Notre Dame wouldn't budge the ACC presidents gave a tiny bit on athletics.

So yeah the standards argument isn't BS, but maybe the scheduling one is.

5 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

Depends. So it is about control which is also why you see them delaying the schedule, including bye weeks, and having stretch scenarios for the championship game. I can promise you there is an alternate division only schedule as well just in case they have to chop games.

It's also about standards, are you going to really sit here tell me that Wyoming is going to meet the same sort of standards as Ohio St? Not just the wealth but those big ten schools come with their own medical schools and research labs. They have massive amounts of capacity that smaller schools simply don't. Most of the P5 are set up that way.

We think sports, but when the presidents make decisions about athletics they think academics, it's why Boise will never be PAC 12 material, it's why the Ivy League is immune to expansion or any outward pressures whatsoever. It's why Rutgers was ok buy West Virginia wasn't. Why it took Clemson and Florida St throwing a hissy fit to get Louisville and not UConn and even then it was probably only because of their basketball passed as well. Essentially holding their nose because Notre Dame wouldn't budge the ACC presidents gave a tiny bit on athletics.

So yeah the standards argument isn't BS, but maybe the scheduling one is.

The standards argument is BS.  You don't need a medical school on campus to follow basic safety protocols.  I'm sure every FBS school in the country has the same protocols.

6 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

The standards argument is BS.  You don't need a medical school on campus to follow basic safety protocols.  I'm sure every FBS school in the country has the same protocols.

No they won't nor will all schools be able to afford it. Some conferences are talking about daily testing. That's a pretty steep cost going out at a 100+ people on each team, plus conference officials, media relations people, etc.  Others are going with a pre game test. Not to mention all the ppe and cleaning that they will expect done. You have seen the budget differences and the research grant differences? Boise got a world recognized epidemiology lab like Washington does? How big is NM St's world class laboratory? These are two different worlds.

52 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

They make a certain amount of sense, but they’re both admissions that it isn’t safe to play these games at all. The nba and nhl built bubbles. That’s not feasible for football, so I think we’re stuck waiting for a vaccine. I doubt we get more than a few games into the season - college and nfl - before it’s shut down. 

8 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

They make a certain amount of sense, but they’re both admissions that it isn’t safe to play these games at all. The nba and nhl built bubbles. That’s not feasible for football, so I think we’re stuck waiting for a vaccine. I doubt we get more than a few games into the season - college and nfl - before it’s shut down. 

You say admissions, I'll go with assertions.  I say play ball.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

It looks like the MWC is gonna join the other G5 conferences and try to play a whole season. Looks like BYU is getting bailed out as well.

I wonder if they're taking this stance so that they have standing to sue P5 conference teams who are unilaterally cancelling "money" games.

Seems like it might be part of a negotiating strategy. 

I like the idea of an 8 game schedule and Wyoming going 8-0 to capture the 2020 Border War Championship!!

Sep. 5: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Sep. 12: Colorado State @ Wyoming

Sep. 19: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Sep. 26: Colorado State @ Wyoming

Oct. 3: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Oct. 17: Colorado State @ Wyoming

Oct. 24: Wyoming @ Colorado State

Nov. 28: Colorado State @ Wyoming

7 hours ago, renoskier said:

I wonder if they're taking this stance so that they have standing to sue P5 conference teams who are unilaterally cancelling "money" games.

Seems like it might be part of a negotiating strategy. 

This ^.   Certain teams force Majure contracts were not well written leaving terms open for teams to sue and win concessions.  But if conference says conference only the likely lose standing.   

On 8/1/2020 at 11:21 AM, JoeBlo said:

*Sigh

Direct from the ACC release on scheduling 

All non-conference game opponents, selected by the respective school, 

must be played in the home state of the ACC institution,

and all non-conference opponents must meet the medical protocol requirements as agreed upon by the ACC

3rd bullet point under ACC Football, separation by me for clarification.

https://theacc.com/news/2020/7/29/general-acc-announces-plans-for-football-and-fall-olympic-sports.aspx

The SEC really screwed the ACC.   They did a plus 1 to play Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida and then SEC said no.   Now if they attempt to get out of games they are more liable to be sued.

We'll play 10-12 conference-only games and the conference will welcome BYU and NMSU as football only members just for this season.

13 hours ago, Ibanez said:

It looks like the MWC is gonna join the other G5 conferences and try to play a whole season. Looks like BYU is getting bailed out as well.

That’s some bullshit 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 hours ago, mugtang said:

That’s some bullshit 

I don't think it will be MW saving them. AAC will announce a 8+2 or 9+1 or +2 end of the week once they sort out their ACC and B12 games.

MW will go back to the conference only model. CUSA and the SEC teams will mostly settle the money for cancelled buy games over the next two weeks and BYU will pay 5m+ to get itself a 9/10 game schedule out of CUSA with maybe an independent or two. UMass should announce it is cancelling 2020 soon. Not sure it will take longer than a week for UConn to follow.

I like the idea of allowing having the season as long as possible and trying to set up games every other week.  The more time you have in between games the more time you have for your positive asymptomatic players to be quarantined in-in between games, etc.  Scheduling less than a full schedule allows you to be more flexible when outbreaks inevitably occur.   You have to plan for outbreaks by allowing flexibility within the schedule.

11 hours ago, sactowndog said:

The SEC really screwed the ACC.   They did a plus 1 to play Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida and then SEC said no.   Now if they attempt to get out of games they are more liable to be sued.

ACC screwed themselves.  They did that to force the SEC's hand, and the SEC called their bluff.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:20 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I doubt it will get past the first few weeks of fall practice. The league commissioners and ADs are thinking of the money lost instead of the players. 

46 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

I like the idea of allowing having the season as long as possible and trying to set up games every other week.  The more time you have in between games the more time you have for your positive asymptomatic players to be quarantined in-in between games, etc.  Scheduling less than a full schedule allows you to be more flexible when outbreaks inevitably occur.   You have to plan for outbreaks by allowing flexibility within the schedule.

Im for shutting it down right now. The ramifications of this virus go way beyond the football field. People are suffering long term lung and heart damage. It’s not worth playing a season of football. 

29 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Im for shutting it down right now. The ramifications of this virus go way beyond the football field. People are suffering long term lung and heart damage. It’s not worth playing a season of football. 

Big 10 is seriously considering it. They are having outbreaks every where