Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ghost of Jack Graham

If it goes MWC conference only, how many games, what format?

I think 10 games would be ideal. It would give our t.v. partners more match-ups and still give us 2 weeks to reschedule games in case of lockdown.

So how would we get to 10 games with our regular 8 scheduled now? I would like to see teams have the option to play a rivalry game twice: Wyo/CSU, FSU/SDSU, UNLV/Nevada....

Maybe we could set up a mini tournament at the end of the year. Have the top 2 mountain division teams play off vs the top 2 western division teams, with the championship game to follow. We could create our own play-offs for one year. 

What are your ideas? How many games should we play and what format should it be if we have to go conference only?

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

I think 10 games would be ideal. It would give our t.v. partners more match-ups and still give us 2 weeks to reschedule games in case of lockdown.

So how would we get to 10 games with our regular 8 scheduled now? I would like to see teams have the option to play a rivalry game twice: Wyo/CSU, FSU/SDSU, UNLV/Nevada....

Maybe we could set up a mini tournament at the end of the year. Have the top 2 mountain division teams play off vs the top 2 western division teams, with the championship game to follow. We could create our own play-offs for one year. 

What are your ideas? How many games should we play and what format should it be if we have to go conference only?

10 Games is ideal for a program like Wyoming, that struggles to find opponents willing to play in Laramie.

BUT....with the AAC and CUSA staying at an 8 +4 schedule, and scrambling for more games, my guess is that more appealing destination schools like Boise and San Diego could easily play a 12 game schedule if they want.

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Its gonna be a 10 game conference format over 12 weeks. If the G5 teams decide on an OOC schedule it would probably be for one game.

The Army / Navy game will get played for sure.

Agreed. How do they do it though? I say take advantage of the opportunity to make as much money as possible for our t.v. partners by adding marquee games.

Home/home rivalry games with Wyo/CSU, SDSU/Fresno are marquee games for the league.

A 4 team tourney for the title would add marquee games to the league.

12 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

10 Games is ideal for a program like Wyoming, that struggles to find opponents willing to play in Laramie.

BUT....with the AAC and CUSA staying at an 8 +4 schedule, and scrambling for more games, my guess is that more appealing destination schools like Boise and San Diego could easily play a 12 game schedule if they want.

Lol the AAC and CUSA are not staying at 8-4. I told you musical chairs was almost done. CUSA wants money, if BYU throws enough at them they will come play. It will have to be a lot though because they are bluffing to keep pay day money. AAC is going to copy the p5.

BYU will be lucky to get three games this season if they don't hurry up.

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

Agreed. How do they do it though? I say take advantage of the opportunity to make as much money as possible for our t.v. partners by adding marquee games.

Home/home rivalry games with Wyo/CSU, SDSU/Fresno are marquee games for the league.

A 4 team tourney for the title would add marquee games to the league.

Not sure about that.

I think 10, 5 in your division plus the 5 closest. The question is who gets sent to Hawaii?

Of course if UNM drops out, that makes it simple full round robin.

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Starting to leek on Twitter that it's gonna be conference only and a 10 game season. Won't be announced til next week. I like your idea of playing 10 teams one time and a rival twice to make it a 12 game season but that would take away the chance to move games around in case if an outbreak.

I think UNM is going to get forced to drop out. Word is the governor will not be budging. NMST is basically done. They may be permanently done, rumour is that is also what UMass and UConn are looking at. Going to be a tough couple years as all the ripples spread.

38 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Starting to leek on Twitter that it's gonna be conference only and a 10 game season. Won't be announced til next week. I like your idea of playing 10 teams one time and a rival twice to make it a 12 game season but that would take away the chance to move games around in case if an outbreak.

It's easy if UNM doesn't play.

That's not exactly my idea. My idea would be the schedule remains the same as it is right now. Then you add a home/home game with your rival to get to nine conference games total.

The final week of the season is a floating week which allows the MWC to play semi-final games for the MWC championship. The top 2 teams from each division face off at the home of the team in first in the division. The other 6 teams are to be announced with the teams that finished 5th, 6th, 7th getting home games.

I wouldn't even count the extra home/home rivalry game as part of the conference standings. The same eight game schedule that we have right now decides who appears in the semi finals and the floating week games.

That would add the following games to our conference schedule: Wyo/CSU, SDSU/FSU, UNLV/Nevada, Boise/AFA, USU/Haw(or you could switch so it's Boise/Haw, AFA/USU). It would add 2 semi-final games at the end of the year.

That would maximize the product for our t.v. partners. That's my plan.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Hey @UofMTigers- Did you play football in Tennessee? I played for West who was district 3 at the time. Same league as Karns, Powell, Central, A-E, Halls, Alcoa (+++++ them), Maryville, Farragut (F them too), Webb, and Bearden. Dude, rough league. Webb was a little Catholic school and Chad Pennington (Yes that one) lit our asses up. 

I played Freshman and JV football at Houston High in Germantown TN. First day of varsity practice I got laid out, knocked unconscious, and I decided to go team trainer so I could still hang with my friends at practice but also not end up with brain damage lol

K-8 I went to Lausanne Collegiate School which didn't sponsor football (they do now) so I played hoops, soccer, and tennis.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

17 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Its gonna be a 10 game conference format over 12 weeks. If the G5 teams decide on an OOC schedule it would probably be for one game.

The Army / Navy game will get played for sure.

Air Force / Army / Navy will happen for sure.  All 3 service academies have stated the games are happening. 

2 minutes ago, Zoomie said:

Air Force / Army / Navy will happen for sure.  All 3 service academies have stated the games are happening. 

No AFA has said it will happen.

Navy and Army have said they will play each other. Navy wants ND and ND wants Navy.

A 9+2 is looking more and more likely for the AAC and Big XII. The Big XII wants to match games with the ACC, everyone knows if the CFP happens the SEC is sending a team. That leaves four conferences for three spots. The PAC has traditionally been the weakest and the conference only schedule means they are vulnerable especially if the ACC and Big XII have extra game(s) and its ooc.

If Navy only gets two ooc games then AFA/Navy is out.

11 minutes ago, Zoomie said:

Army and Navy dont necessarily agree.  And Navy has their own conference to deal with.  Doubt Navy is going to be playing 3 OOC games.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/covid-19-coronavirus-army-navy-rivalry-2020-one-game-were-playing/

“If there’s only one game we’re going to play,” Gladchuk said, “It’s the Army-Navy game. Unless the pandemic is such at the time that we’re precluded by the city of Philadelphia to play that game, we have every intention of playing Army-Navy.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/07/15/army-and-navy-still-expect-a-2020-football-game/

“I have no idea what that game may look like once all necessary safety measures are put in place to guard against the pandemic, but if there’s only one game played in the country this year, we fully expect it will be the Army-Navy game,” Mike Buddie, West Point’s athletic director, told Military Times in a written statement.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

15 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

No AFA has said it will happen.

Navy and Army have said they will play each other. Navy wants ND and ND wants Navy.

A 9+2 is looking more and more likely for the AAC and Big XII. The Big XII wants to match games with the ACC, everyone knows if the CFP happens the SEC is sending a team. That leaves four conferences for three spots. The PAC has traditionally been the weakest and the conference only schedule means they are vulnerable especially if the ACC and Big XII have extra game(s) and its ooc.

If Navy only gets two ooc games then AFA/Navy is out.

Navy wants ND because it was moved to Annapolis and that's a big money game.  That game is now in jeopardy as ACC requires OOC games to be played in an ACC state which Maryland is not.  For the game to be played, it would now have to move to South Bend which makes the game less appetizing for Navy.

Army will take anything they can get being Independent, plus the AF game would be a home game for them this year.

Both Navy and Air Force would require waivers from their respective conferences if the conferences choose conference only games and/or travel restrictions

Since all three academies are "closed" campuses - it's very easy to maintain protocol and testing measures to keep the games on the docket.

25 minutes ago, Zoomie said:

Navy wants ND because it was moved to Annapolis and that's a big money game.  That game is now in jeopardy as ACC requires OOC games to be played in an ACC state which Maryland is not.  For the game to be played, it would now have to move to South Bend which makes the game less appetizing for Navy.

Navy wants ND because after Army its their biggest game.  And there are several places it could be played where it has been played in the past.  PA, NY and MA are all ACC states, too.  And given crowd restrictions the big money is in TV, not attendance.  And TV doesnt care where it is.  They were willing to broadcast it from Ireland.  They'll be willing to broadcast from Yasgur's farm if need be.  And both teams would be willing to play it there, too.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Zoomie said:

Army will take anything they can get being Independent, plus the AF game would be a home game for them this year.

Both Navy and Air Force would require waivers from their respective conferences if the conferences choose conference only games and/or travel restrictions

Since all three academies are "closed" campuses - it's very easy to maintain protocol and testing measures to keep the games on the docket.

55 minutes ago, RSF said:

Navy wants ND because after Army its their biggest game.  And there are several places it could be played where it has been played in the past.  PA, NY and MA are all ACC states, too.  And given crowd restrictions the big money is in TV, not attendance.  And TV doesnt care where it is.  They were willing to broadcast it from Ireland.  They'll be willing to broadcast from Yasgur's farm if need be.  And both teams would be willing to play it there, too.

Ok lots of almost info in here. One the ACC game must be played in the ACC state of team playing i.e. Clemson in SC, Syracuse in NY. 

Notre Dame has stayed in touch with Navy. They consider this game the way a person promises to go to church if God saves their child and the baby lives. Notre Dame no longer exists as a University if Navy doesn't put an officers school there. Not their football program, but the actual school itself. The only bond stronger than that to Navy is Army. Navy would quit the AAC in a heartbeat if the conference made Army and ND difficult. Which will never happen because the AAC invited Navy based partly on those games.

ND will get a waiver to play the moved game from Ireland, in Annapolis, or Navy will play them in South Bend or Indianapolis. Navy never plays Army or ND at home anyway. They will work it out as will Army/Navy.

Army and Navy will play. It will happen, some where.

AFA is an after thought. I am sure if possible they will keep it, but they will sacrafice it in a heartbeat, for conference, for ND, or for Army. The pride/armed forces rivalry is important but AFA doesn't carry a century of history with it. People will be sad, but then move on if AFA/Navy drops. 

The ACC stipulated that the nonconference game for each school "must take place in the home state of an ACC team."

Doesnt say anything about who's home state.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

The ACC stipulated that the nonconference game for each school "must take place in the home state of an ACC team."

Doesnt say anything about who's home state.

*Sigh

Direct from the ACC release on scheduling 

All non-conference game opponents, selected by the respective school, 

must be played in the home state of the ACC institution,

and all non-conference opponents must meet the medical protocol requirements as agreed upon by the ACC

3rd bullet point under ACC Football, separation by me for clarification.

https://theacc.com/news/2020/7/29/general-acc-announces-plans-for-football-and-fall-olympic-sports.aspx

Play a true round robin. Eleven games in conf plus an Indy. Top two teams in CCG.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Can someone explain how playing only conference games is safer? It’s either safe to play or it isn’t. Teams will be traveling either way, the testing is the same either way. I really don’t get it.