Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

AAC and CUSA Scheduling Plans (also Sunbelt)

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

No. I never said that. Don't start jumping to conclusions because you're gonna end up disappointed.

Just thinking out loud.... between the AAC, SunBelt, CUSA, MWC, and the other Indys (Liberty, UConn) , BYU should be able to get the 6 more games it needs.

Here is what BYU currently has scheduled.

Ideally BYU can schedule 1 or 2 AAC or BIG12 games (not sure how likely.

for the MWC, these schools really need games:

Colorado State

Hawaii

UNLV

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/02/big-12-to-make-decision-on-schedule-monday-expect-10-game-model/

As Lee Carso says not so fast my friend.  I also talked to someone whose job it is to cover these sort of things. Reportedly Texas is very hard for a full season. OU is ambivalent. A handful of schools want conference only. Their presidents are very worried about the optics and the NCAA shutting everything down. Player safety is big time top of the list, they want students to trust them and back on campus eventually hanging the players out to dry would be a very public problem.

Texas has big pull and if OU doesn't directly oppose them they get what they want. Reportedly Kansas is very much against the full schedule and will not budge. Texas will kick and scream about being short a game on the ACC so 9+2 is what they will end up with.

The AAC will follow because it's easy and it will make them more like the two p5 less like the other g5. Also because they are likely to be most of the + and ESPN will be arranging things.

BYU will be looking very hard at MWC teams. The Sunbelt and CUSA are trying to ensure payments, they have very little leverage if they go conference only and very little reason to play out of conference if they don't have pay days, we'll see how long their presidents hold out. I doubt BYU wants to cough up cash for sunbelt or CUSA teams but that will be what's left if the MWC doesn't help out.

13 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

A fan that supports a team based in Florida is saying, "We seem to be past the coronavirus peak..."?  While based on statistical trending it's accurate, 73 deaths and 4,700+ new infections (today) is not necessarily the "all clear" signal!

And hopefully you know the difference between saying the numbers suggest we’re past the peak and saying ‘all clear’. Also @Del Scorcho

On 7/31/2020 at 12:28 PM, Ibanez said:

Just like the other G5 schools. The PAC-12 is about to approve a 10 game conference season. So the AAC really should just stay conference only. 

Doesn't playing 1-or-2 additional conf games, while cancelling all non-conference games open them up to tons of liability when settling the contracts of cancelled OoC games?  Especially ones like the uc-boulder Bison @ CSU (48-mi apart).

How does uc-boulder defend cnx'g a game 48-mi away due to safety concerns, to replace it with a team from the 12-PacNorth 1240-1300-mi away?

On 8/2/2020 at 12:18 PM, Coog kev said:

As of today, My Coogs are on deck for 11 games.  The AAC 8 ones and @ BYU while hosting up Rice and North Texas.  So far, so good....but with all of the volatile things...who knows. 

Now you just need to hope your QB will finish the season with choosing to gray-shirt or transfer after the 4th Game.

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

And hopefully you know the difference between saying the numbers suggest we’re past the peak and saying ‘all clear’. Also @Del Scorcho

I'm sure he does.  There are ZERO Fla schools that can say they're even sniffing either.

6 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Doesn't playing 1-or-2 additional conf games, while cancelling all non-conference games open them up to tons of liability when settling the contracts of cancelled OoC games?  Especially ones like the uc-boulder Bison @ CSU (48-mi apart).

How does uc-boulder defend cnx'g a game 48-mi away due to safety concerns, to replace it with a team from the 12-PacNorth 1240-1300-mi away?

It might, but it appears from realignment that most schools began including a conference mandate as an out. If this is the case and every p5 appears to have these but the SEC then they are in the clear. 

The SEC not having them would also explain why CUSA (who had a bunch SEC buy games) is so determined to keep a 12 game schedule. My guess is those get settled BYU will buy a couple of very expensive games off of CUSA.