Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

youngredbullfan

Make Inheritance Illegal

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yes sir, God made the planet but he didn't pave this road. You want to use the government's/our roads, you gotta play by our rules.

Tell me that @Maynard Delecto does not sound EXACTLY like these nut jobs.  I could create a sock tonight and convince the entire board it is Maynard by spouting sovereign citizen talking points.  Just like I did his "Maynard brand" better than he ever did with @With EXtra Mayo

4 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

The idea of making inheritance illegal is absolutely stupid. However, something most of us could agree on would be cleaning up the tax code.

Bingo.

An English guy I had as a history professor once lectured about his country's economic situation after WWII. Obviously their economy was a mess right after the war. However, just when things were picking up again several years later, Parliament passed legislation which IIRC kept the inheritance tax for all but the super rich at 10% of the size of the estate while cutting the inheritance tax for estates of a million pounds or more to just 3%. That professor - who admittedly didn't have a PhD in economics but history - was of the opinion that big inheritance tax cut was responsible for many young men who had attended Oxford and Cambridge in the 1950s and 1960s making a career of simply investing their family money rather than using one of the best educations in the world to be captains of industry like their forefathers had been.

FWIW America's lack of primogeniture was credited by some for preventing a rise of a wealthy aristocratic class in the dawn of the republic. "Large landowner's sons became lawyers and doctors instead". 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

FWIW America's lack of primogeniture was credited by some for preventing a rise of a wealthy aristocratic class in the dawn of the republic. "Large landowner's sons became lawyers and doctors instead". 

This is an interesting point, actually.

My grandmother was raised on (at the time) the largest farm on the Camas Prairie.  When the brothers went off to fight the war, she and her two sisters with one farm hand ran the entire farm, for years.  The 3 brothers inherited the entire estate.  My grandmother got $50, a suitcase and a train ticket.  Even the Nez Perce jewelry that was custom made for her and her sisters and mother, was kept by the males.

16 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Me (not wealthy):  Hard pass on not being able to pass wealth, homes and land down to family (or whoever I choose in my will)

Read my amended statement.

Perhaps, if we had a Meritocracy that wasn't governed by Elitists who use croneyism and nepotism as a means to maintain their status we just might have something to hang our hats on.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This is an interesting point, actually.

My grandmother was raised on (at the time) the largest farm on the Camas Prairie.  When the brothers went off to fight the war, she and her two sisters with one farm hand ran the entire farm, for years.  The 3 brothers inherited the entire estate.  My grandmother got $50, a suitcase and a train ticket.  Even the Nez Perce jewelry that was custom made for her and her sisters and mother, was kept by the males.

compromise: to be able to pass on wealth it must be divided into a minimum of 3 equal parts

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.