bornontheblue

Why do Masks cause such anger in people

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

I don't think it's useful to discuss the effectiveness of masks.  The reality is beyond their impact at the margins as a means of controlling spread, there's additional benefit if it gives people the confidence to get out of the house and re-engage in the economy.  In the meantime, watch the numbers.  COVID is burning itself out just like practically every other virus that has afflicted mankind.That's the quiet consensus.

Even if you choose, for some stupid phucking reason, to disregard the science regarding the efficacy of masks, the bold ^^^^ should be reason enough to advocate their use.

11 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Everybody was wearing a mask, customers and employees,  except that asshat. 

Sometimes, you just can't teach dipshittery.  It's ingrained in (the feeble minds of) some folk - right from the get-go.  Sometimes, it's definitely better to turn the other cheek, but I probably woulda told the guy to go fvck himself and, like others have suggested, removed my mask, causally coughed (to the side) and offered my hand in "friendship."  The true believers (Trumptards) would take the hand.  The tough guy blowhards?  They turn till and walk (skulk) the other way...

6 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

It's part of our survival programming. Facial recognition within our brains is compartmentalized as friend or foe. Our entire human experience is peppered with masked people committing heinous acts.

So, wearing a mask even for safety triggers those ingrained biases.

Or, were just a bunch of assholes.

:shrug:

Masks prevent assholes from reading the lips of those calling them assholes. ..hence the displeasure in masks.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Masks are an issue because trump claimed they weren't needed and undermined it.

He may have sort of changed his tune but it's too late the damage is done. This required leadership from the outset and he simply isn't one.

The mask issue breaks down more or less on partisan lines. Because trump made it so.

• Like 2
  • Idiot 1

good lord someone actually thinks this is burning itself out? While numbers increase daily?

Just wait til flu season hits.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
22 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Yeah, I'd have a hard time not popping some c*nt in his grill for throwing coffee in my face. :shrug:

Need more info. Why did they throw coffee in that dude's face? What preceded that? I really want to see the rest of the original video, including what went down with the police arrived...

I'm only going to pipe up if you're inside a space with a "must wear" policy and I happen to be in the same space. Shit, when outdoors, you only have to wear a mask when you cant social distance (at least down here) - I was in an outdoor meeting on Thursday (my first in-person business meeting since the pandemic began), and I didn't wear a mask because we all had about 10-12 feet between us and good airflow.  Anyway, I'm still waiting for the anti-mask f*cktard who's going to front me. Hasn't happened yet, but I hit back. And I hit hard.

But dude - this video and its narrator/narrative is part of the problem that's tearing our society apart IMO. 

There's definitely crazies on both sides. I've been given stinkeye both when being the only one wearing a mask in a coffee shop in Grand Junction, and for not wearing a mask while walking by myself in a Denver Walmart parking lot. Everyone thinks they know what's "right" in their own mind ...

• Like 1

A Delta flight had to return to the gate because two anti-masker dipshits refused to comply with stated policy.

Delta flight returns to gate after travelers refuse to wear masks

A Delta flight was forced to return to the gate when two of their customers wouldn’t wear masks, according to Delta Air Lines spokesperson Emma Protis.

Protis told CNN in an email that Flight 1227 on July 23 was on its way from Detroit to Atlanta when they were forced to turn around.

Delta released the following statement to CNN:

Flight 1227 from Detroit to Atlanta returned to the gate following two customers who were non-compliant with crew instructions. After a short delay, the aircraft departed to Atlanta."

The two passengers were removed from the plane, Protis said.

According to Delta's website, "Delta customers and employees are required to wear a face mask, or appropriate cloth face covering over their nose and mouth throughout their travel, aligning with best practice guidelines from the CDC."

On 7/31/2020 at 6:01 PM, happycamper said:

Literally the links you posted says that they have a logical mechanistic effect (also the links you post are for influenza)

What people? 

So you're a 2 year old

Sheep! Yes! like people who drive on the right side of the road and who don't have campfires during red flag days right?

You're the most self righteous person on this thread by a long shot so you may want to revise your theory

Literally not about your body nor could it ever be construed to be lol

And as we all know, children of all ages are ONLY capable of learning good interpersonal communication skills while waiting to get their basket checked at wal mart

like, how? 

bob

you can talk with a mask on

just... try it

wait what? Do you think bacteria and virii are tiny birds or some shit that glide out of our mouths on their own?

Bob is either being obstinate as an act or because he truly believes this nonsense. Either way, he’s a lost cause. And there are far too many like him.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

But dude - this video and its narrator/narrative is part of the problem that's tearing our society apart IMO. 

But dude - how can you be so blind?  At times, you seem to be just as "salty" as the "salty cracker".  Isn't your moniker and schtick "Arrogant Bastard" just as "salty", just from a different point of view?

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

But dude - how can you be so blind?  At times, you seem to be just as "salty" as the "salty cracker".  Isn't your moniker and schtick "Arrogant Bastard" just as "salty", just from a different point of view?

Apples and enemas? 

33 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Self righteous?

The narrator in the YT video wasn't being self-righteous (I say this vis-a-vis the "it takes one to know one" principle as someone who admittedly can be from time to time); he was being a c*nty douche.

Here's the thing. "Normal" may be loosely defined as what's included in the 'meat' of the bell curve. "Abnormal" may be loosely defined as the outliers in both tails.

Wearing a face covering to help prevent the spread of a deadly pathogen to help fight the worst pandemic we as a species have faced in the last 100 years is very much in the middle of the bell curve. BTW, so is not wearing a mask when social distancing outdoors IMO.

But alluding to or implying that people wearing a mask are the problem, or any (even implicit) attempt to vilify people for acting in a manner pursuant to public safety goals and new established norms is intrinsically acrimonious and divisive. 

The guy could have gone on all f*cking day about how that dude deserved to get punched for throwing coffee in the guy's face (though what the guy did in response - approaching Soy Latte Guy and bloodying his nose - is in itself a crime and an arrestable offense), and I would never have said a thing. But instead, he is using his platform for the more nefarious reasons I mention in the paragraph above.

Ergo, he is seeding conflict by promulgating a narrative in which people who comply with public safety recs and municipal laws - you know... abiding by "law and order" - are the source of the problem. 

This is in no f*cking way equivalent to calling out people who are in flagrant violation of both local laws as well as clearly stated store and public safety policies, and who are by doing so putting others at risk. 

And if you can't see this, I only have one more thing left to say...

4a7skb.jpg

On 7/31/2020 at 7:01 PM, happycamper said:

Literally the links you posted says that they have a logical mechanistic effect (also the links you post are for influenza)

What people? 

So you're a 2 year old

Sheep! Yes! like people who drive on the right side of the road and who don't have campfires during red flag days right?

You're the most self righteous person on this thread by a long shot so you may want to revise your theory

Literally not about your body nor could it ever be construed to be lol

And as we all know, children of all ages are ONLY capable of learning good interpersonal communication skills while waiting to get their basket checked at wal mart

like, how? 

bob

you can talk with a mask on

just... try it

wait what? Do you think bacteria and virii are tiny birds or some shit that glide out of our mouths on their own?

Agree to disagree on...well... everything

Why is Peru experiencing such high cases? They diligently wear masks AND locked down

Image1508012020.png

The people of Mexico and the Philippines diligently wear their masks. What's up?

image.png.8d1a40274d9901f17910dd9771b28326.png

image.png.7ae9d9d4e48a667be22340d9b927b38d.png

image.png.5f7cc0b0b40f7d1e5f64831757a8e812.pngimage.png.5f7cc0b0b40f7d1e5f64831757a8e812.png

It seems masks have to opposite effect on new cases that they are intended to have. Time after time they fail to protect populations from COVID-19.

Image1508312020.png

Where's the evidence they work? There's no correlation with mask wearing and COVID-19 cases.

22 minutes ago, Bob said:

Why is Peru experiencing such high cases? They diligently wear masks AND locked down

Image1508012020.png

The people of Mexico and the Philippines diligently wear their masks. What's up?

image.png.8d1a40274d9901f17910dd9771b28326.png

image.png.7ae9d9d4e48a667be22340d9b927b38d.png

image.png.5f7cc0b0b40f7d1e5f64831757a8e812.pngimage.png.5f7cc0b0b40f7d1e5f64831757a8e812.png

It seems masks have to opposite effect on new cases that they are intended to have. Time after time they fail to protect populations from COVID-19.

Image1508312020.png

Where's the evidence they work? There's no correlation with mask wearing and COVID-19 cases.

Have you been to Mexico? Mask use there is about on par with the US. Mexico has had the same issues with getting people to wear masks as we have. Like here, it comes down to an urban vs rural divide.