Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Why do Masks cause such anger in people

4 hours ago, Bob said:

First of all they don’t work and defy accepted, conventional scientific knowledge. 

Literally the links you posted says that they have a logical mechanistic effect (also the links you post are for influenza)

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Secondly, they are dangerous for numerous people to wear.

What people? 

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Third, I don’t like being told what to do.

So you're a 2 year old

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Fourth, The ppl who wear them are sheep.

Sheep! Yes! like people who drive on the right side of the road and who don't have campfires during red flag days right?

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Fifth, most who wear them are self righteous.

You're the most self righteous person on this thread by a long shot so you may want to revise your theory

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Sixth, my body my choice lol. 

Literally not about your body nor could it ever be construed to be lol

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Seventh, masks are not conducive to children of all ages to learning good interpersonal communication skills.

And as we all know, children of all ages are ONLY capable of learning good interpersonal communication skills while waiting to get their basket checked at wal mart

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Eighth, masks remind me of repressive Muslim culture.

like, how? 

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Ninth, disobedient slaves’ mouths were masked and muzzled to signify their voices were taken away and the currently mask situation is akin to that

bob

you can talk with a mask on

just... try it

2 hours ago, Bob said:

There is something called “bacteria”. Look it up. Usually orders of magnitude larger than viruses and can actually be effectively filtered

wait what? Do you think bacteria and virii are tiny birds or some shit that glide out of our mouths on their own?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

You think that masks are impermeable barriers? Air gets in and out albeit restricted. Certain molecules or ‘particles’, such as COVID 19 move quite freely through the permeable barrier knows as a mask, aerosolized and droplets. In addition you touch your virus-soaked mask dozens of times per day and then touch stuff that others touch and they have a soaking, moist, virus breeding ground attached to their face that they then touch that is not capable of protecting them from Covid because it literally can’t filter particles that small. Not sure what’s hard to understand about this

I don't think it's useful to discuss the effectiveness of masks.  The reality is beyond their impact at the margins as a means of controlling spread, there's additional benefit if it gives people the confidence to get out of the house and re-engage in the economy.  In the meantime, watch the numbers.  COVID is burning itself out just like practically every other virus that has afflicted mankind.That's the quiet consensus.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

20 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I don't think it's useful to discuss the effectiveness of masks.  The reality is beyond their impact at the margins as a means of controlling spread, there's additional benefit if it gives people the confidence to get out of the house and re-engage in the economy.  In the meantime, watch the numbers.  COVID is burning itself out just like practically every other virus that has afflicted mankind.That's the quiet consensus.

image.png.37facbe903dcc63efc0c5e561920a98b.png

2 hours ago, Bob said:
  • Cowling, B. et al. (2010) "Face masks to prevent transmission of influenza virus: A systematic review", Epidemiology and Infection, 138(4), 449-456. doi:10.1017/S0950268809991658
None of the studies reviewed showed a benefit from wearing a mask, in either HCW or community members in households (H). See summary Tables 1 and 2 therein.

Good job numbnuts. You just demonstrated the profound ability to quote some nuthugger's blog - I think you just earned a merit badge for your MAGA hat.

Try actually reading the studies dufus.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

image.png.37facbe903dcc63efc0c5e561920a98b.png

All of the most populous counties in California have an R(eff) at or below 1, indicating stable or slowing spread.

image.png.bee91a628ef08d2cedd8beefc6451c57.png

The 14 day running average in SD County indicates the same

image.png.29eea9ed016ab9d37317da6bfe1cb217.png

Other important charts detailing where the problem is

image.png.a397e4c2131281ed819a39161c37ccbc.png

The data indicate that fully 50% of all fatalities occur in care facilities

image.png.27ff654cc716ee31fee745db6aad397b.png

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, Bob said:
  • Cowling, B. et al. (2010) "Face masks to prevent transmission of influenza virus: A systematic review", Epidemiology and Infection, 138(4), 449-456. doi:10.1017/S0950268809991658
None of the studies reviewed showed a benefit from wearing a mask, in either HCW or community members in households (H). See summary Tables 1 and 2 therein.

That study was 10 years old. The reason why masks weren't heavily recommended at first was because there just wasn't enough clinical evidence that they work. Guess what? With research, things change. LINK

3 hours ago, Bob said:
  • None of the studies reviewed showed a benefit from wearing a mask, in either HCW or community members in households (H). See summary Tables 1 and 2 therein.

Thats quite a source trying to refute a study that said masks help...a former physics professor.  Former because he was fired for giving out phony grades.  Bravo.  Quite convincing.

‐-‐----------------------

When my colleague asked for scientific evidence to back this denial, the poster directed her to an article by Denis Rancourt, entitled “Masks Don’t Work.” And, indeed, Rancourt’s paper cited eight peer-reviewed essays, all from reputable journals.  But when she actually clicked on the links provided, she found something very curious.  None of the studies cited concluded what Rancourt says they did.  For example, six of the eight studies measured the effectiveness of N95 respirators compared to surgical masks—not, as Rancourt implied, the effectiveness of wearing a mask vs. not wearing a mask.

Further, the quotes he provided from these articles misrepresented their findings. For example, his quote from a 2012 study in the journal Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses read “None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.” This implies that there is no benefit to wearing masks. In reality, however, the slash in the “mask/respirator” phrase is meant to indicate a comparison between the two types of facial coverings. In other words, the study is saying that masks and respirators are equally effective; it is not lumping them together and declaring them both ineffective. Several of the sentences before and after the one he quotes demonstrate this.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Even if you choose, for some stupid phucking reason, to disregard the science regarding the efficacy of masks, the bold ^^^^ should be reason enough to advocate their use.

11 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Everybody was wearing a mask, customers and employees,  except that asshat. 

Sometimes, you just can't teach dipshittery.  It's ingrained in (the feeble minds of) some folk - right from the get-go.  Sometimes, it's definitely better to turn the other cheek, but I probably woulda told the guy to go fvck himself and, like others have suggested, removed my mask, causally coughed (to the side) and offered my hand in "friendship."  The true believers (Trumptards) would take the hand.  The tough guy blowhards?  They turn till and walk (skulk) the other way...

6 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

It's part of our survival programming. Facial recognition within our brains is compartmentalized as friend or foe. Our entire human experience is peppered with masked people committing heinous acts.

So, wearing a mask even for safety triggers those ingrained biases.

Or, were just a bunch of assholes.

:shrug:

Masks prevent assholes from reading the lips of those calling them assholes. ..hence the displeasure in masks.

Masks are an issue because trump claimed they weren't needed and undermined it.

He may have sort of changed his tune but it's too late the damage is done. This required leadership from the outset and he simply isn't one.

The mask issue breaks down more or less on partisan lines. Because trump made it so.

One of the Final Five..........

22 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Yeah, I'd have a hard time not popping some c*nt in his grill for throwing coffee in my face. :shrug:

Need more info. Why did they throw coffee in that dude's face? What preceded that? I really want to see the rest of the original video, including what went down with the police arrived...

I'm only going to pipe up if you're inside a space with a "must wear" policy and I happen to be in the same space. Shit, when outdoors, you only have to wear a mask when you cant social distance (at least down here) - I was in an outdoor meeting on Thursday (my first in-person business meeting since the pandemic began), and I didn't wear a mask because we all had about 10-12 feet between us and good airflow.  Anyway, I'm still waiting for the anti-mask f*cktard who's going to front me. Hasn't happened yet, but I hit back. And I hit hard.

But dude - this video and its narrator/narrative is part of the problem that's tearing our society apart IMO. 

There's definitely crazies on both sides. I've been given stinkeye both when being the only one wearing a mask in a coffee shop in Grand Junction, and for not wearing a mask while walking by myself in a Denver Walmart parking lot. Everyone thinks they know what's "right" in their own mind ...

A Delta flight had to return to the gate because two anti-masker dipshits refused to comply with stated policy.

Delta flight returns to gate after travelers refuse to wear masks

A Delta flight was forced to return to the gate when two of their customers wouldn’t wear masks, according to Delta Air Lines spokesperson Emma Protis.

Protis told CNN in an email that Flight 1227 on July 23 was on its way from Detroit to Atlanta when they were forced to turn around.

Delta released the following statement to CNN:

Flight 1227 from Detroit to Atlanta returned to the gate following two customers who were non-compliant with crew instructions. After a short delay, the aircraft departed to Atlanta."

The two passengers were removed from the plane, Protis said.

According to Delta's website, "Delta customers and employees are required to wear a face mask, or appropriate cloth face covering over their nose and mouth throughout their travel, aligning with best practice guidelines from the CDC."

On 7/31/2020 at 6:01 PM, happycamper said:

Literally the links you posted says that they have a logical mechanistic effect (also the links you post are for influenza)

What people? 

So you're a 2 year old

Sheep! Yes! like people who drive on the right side of the road and who don't have campfires during red flag days right?

You're the most self righteous person on this thread by a long shot so you may want to revise your theory

Literally not about your body nor could it ever be construed to be lol

And as we all know, children of all ages are ONLY capable of learning good interpersonal communication skills while waiting to get their basket checked at wal mart

like, how? 

bob

you can talk with a mask on

just... try it

wait what? Do you think bacteria and virii are tiny birds or some shit that glide out of our mouths on their own?

Bob is either being obstinate as an act or because he truly believes this nonsense. Either way, he’s a lost cause. And there are far too many like him.

16 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

But dude - this video and its narrator/narrative is part of the problem that's tearing our society apart IMO. 

But dude - how can you be so blind?  At times, you seem to be just as "salty" as the "salty cracker".  Isn't your moniker and schtick "Arrogant Bastard" just as "salty", just from a different point of view?

110926run_defense710.jpg