Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Why do Masks cause such anger in people

Lots of people are really on edge right now with the protests and virus. I find myself feeling unusually depressed and irritable at times. Then you have people that are in dire financial straits and it’s like a powder keg waiting to blow. I can’t remember things being so unstable in a long time. 

9 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Why do the masks make people so angry. I just had someone freak out on me in Starbucks and call me a Communist of all things because I was wearing a mask. Almost ended up in a fistfight in Starbucks. 

Ignorance comes to mind. Those are the sheep, follow trump off the cliff

Just now, ClevelandBrown said:

Just tell them you have the virus, pull down your mask, put out your hand and introduce yourself.

LOL!!! but seriously the guy got all agitated because I was wearing a mask. 

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Lots of people are really on edge right now with the protests and virus. I find myself feeling unusually depressed and irritable at times. Then you have people that are in dire financial straits and it’s like a powder keg waiting to blow. I can’t remember things being so unstable in a long time. 

People are sooo angry right now. 

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

Wait, someone in a Starbucks, a Starbucks, was mad about masks. Weren't all the employees wearing masks?

Everybody was wearing a mask, customers and employees,  except that asshat. 

It's something that I really don't understand. I was in Target about a month ago, and there was this middle aged dude with his high school age son who were going around harassing people for wearing masks. I had someone else who wasn't wearing one walk like right up behind me at the grocery store, and I just politely asked him if he could back up, and he told me that I was a pussy and that Trump was going to get rid of masks. 

It's just more evidence --- to me anyway --- of our continued political tribalism. Masks got turned into political statements, and so fringes on both sides are now viewing them as something more than what their actual purpose is. 

Just now, bornontheblue said:

Everybody was wearing a mask, customers and employees,  except that asshat. 

Well then. Just a cool woke guy I suppose. 

I got some advice somewhere on the internet the other day. 

"You are not the idiot whisperer.”

I found that to put things in a better perspective for me in most situations. 

Guest #1Stunner
39 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Why do the masks make people so angry. I just had someone freak out on me in Starbucks and call me a Communist of all things because I was wearing a mask. Almost ended up in a fistfight in Starbucks. 

My guess is that some people don't like to be controlled, and feel like they are being controlled.

Also, I have noticed that it is mostly men that aren't wearing masks in the stores, or that wear them only over their mouth.   I think the one size fits all masks might be tighter on some mens' larger heads and are uncomfortable.   It's usually women (Karens) who feel like it is their job to be the mask shamers. 

Regardless....Hopefully people will wear masks until a vaccine takes care of this. 

38 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Welcome to the Bizarro World those of us who don't support Trump have been increasingly dealing with over the last few years.

FWIW I got called a "mask nazi" in a grocery store last week. Not sure how someone can be both a communist and a nazi fro wearing a mask, so at least one of us is in the clear. :ph34r:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

7 hours ago, Los_Aztecas said:

It's not the mask, to the anti maskers it's what the mask symbolizes. 

It symbolizes unwillingness to tolerate a very small inconvenience for the common good. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Just now, TheSanDiegan said:

Welcome to the Bizarro World those of us who don't support Trump have been increasingly dealing with over the last few years.

FWIW I got called a "mask nazi" in a grocery store last week. Not sure how someone can be both a communist and a nazi fro wearing a mask, so at least one of us is in the clear. :ph34r:

To be fair in reality and practice the differences between a nazi and a communist aren't very large, they're actually pretty similar. 

Guest #1Stunner

Don't forget the totality of what's going on...

I think some people see what they think are attempts to rewrite society, and then equate that with the call for everyone to wear a mask.

So, people equate calls to tear down statues of George Washington with mask wearing.    Or view political movements like BLM as aligned with the call for mask wearing....  If they don't agree with one, then they seem to conclude that they can't agree with the other. 

Mask wearing has been co-opted and politicized by both the Republicans and the Democrats, trying to score political points in an election year.