Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

BYU down to 6 games

8 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

The MWC needs to step up and help BYU.

Why?  BYU is like the couple living together out of wedlock.  They get the benefits without the commitment.  No.  MWC needs to focus on taking care of themselves and walk away from BYU just like BYU walked away from the MWC.

9 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

OK.  But we'd need to play our game against San Jose at your Junior College.... 

San Jose took down the dirt berm and doesn't have a stadium until 2023.

Maybe we could borrow lavelle Edwards stadium. You’re clearly not going to need it. 

I would love Air Force to play BYU.  There is no way AFA is going conference only; The Army and Navy games have to be played.   I can imagine a situation where California schools get their seasons cancelled, then the whole MWC is hosed.  Bring in BYU.

Hawaii lost four games, they could use a date filled.  Just make it a home game for them.

Colorado State lost 2, they could use a date filled too.  Also make it a home game.

Both lost their first game of the season.   Could have Hawaii recoup a game on Aug 29, and CSU recoup on Sept 5. 

Very helpful to our MWC brothers.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

20 minutes ago, afafan said:

I would love Air Force to play BYU.  There is no way AFA is going conference only; The Army and Navy games have to be played.   I can imagine a situation where California schools get their seasons cancelled, then the whole MWC is hosed.  Bring in BYU.

Army and Navy dont necessarily agree.  And Navy has their own conference to deal with.  Doubt Navy is going to be playing 3 OOC games.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/covid-19-coronavirus-army-navy-rivalry-2020-one-game-were-playing/

“If there’s only one game we’re going to play,” Gladchuk said, “It’s the Army-Navy game. Unless the pandemic is such at the time that we’re precluded by the city of Philadelphia to play that game, we have every intention of playing Army-Navy.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/07/15/army-and-navy-still-expect-a-2020-football-game/

“I have no idea what that game may look like once all necessary safety measures are put in place to guard against the pandemic, but if there’s only one game played in the country this year, we fully expect it will be the Army-Navy game,” Mike Buddie, West Point’s athletic director, told Military Times in a written statement.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

7 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Money talks.  Cougar fans like to point out how much more ESPN pays BYU as an independent than any MWC school gets from our TV contracts.  Show up ready to spend some of that cash and maybe something will happen.

@#1Stunner, @robe, @HawaiiMongoosehit on something there... Maybe if BYU and ESPN showed up at MWC offices with a one time ESPN/BYU/MWC “pay to play” deal?

Offer any MWC school, 500k to pay at BYU, and say 300k for a game at a MWC school... pay amount is negotiable, but you know what i mean. 

Cash strapped conference schools would have to give it some thought. And it would give BYU more scheduled games, give ESPN some content, and MWC schools some badly needed cash!

ESPN AND OUR TV RIGHTS BROADCASTERS can hammer out their own side deal, to allow some flexibility with broadcast rights during this very unusual time.... just a thought.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that such a deal would also help fill in gaping holes in MWC schools schedules as well. UNM lost 2 games (SEC AND Pac12).

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 minute ago, LoboMan59 said:

@#1Stunner, @robe, @HawaiiMongoosehit on something there... Maybe if BYU and ESPN showed up at MWC offices with a one time ESPN/BYU/MWC “pay to play” deal?

Offer any MWC school, 500k to pay at BYU, and say 300k for a game at a MWC school... pay amount is negotiable, but you know what i mean. 

Cash strapped conference schools would have to give it some thought. And it would give BYU more scheduled games, give ESPN some content, and MWC schools some badly needed cash!

ESPN AND OUR TV RIGHTS BROADCASTERS can hammer out their own side deal, to allow some flexibility with broadcast rights during this very unusual time.... just a thought.

That would be a fair deal

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Maybe we could borrow lavelle Edwards stadium. You’re clearly not going to need it. 

Actually, not a bad idea.

Since San Jose State no longer has the dirt berm / "spartan" stadium, they could play their games at Edwards Stadium.

The Junior College is closer, yes, but it sounds like you guys want to see what a larger stadium looks like. 

Guest #1Stunner
54 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Hawaii lost four games, they could use a date filled.  Just make it a home game for them.

Colorado State lost 2, they could use a date filled too.  Also make it a home game.

Both lost their first game of the season.   Could have Hawaii recoup a game on Aug 29, and CSU recoup on Sept 5. 

Very helpful to our MWC brothers.

Plus, if the BYU vs BOISE game is cancelled, there will be riots in Caldwell AND Meridian.  

The BLM Protests will comparatively look like the "junior league".  

Guest #1Stunner

Worst thing about this season for BYU...

BYU had a very difficult schedule with some very good P5 lined up.   Was hoping that BYU would finish 2-10, and that it would be the catalyst to dump Sitake (or at least some of his inept asistants).

Now...instead, we might play a schedule of Liberty, UConn, and San Jose, and BYU will have a better record.   BYUtv / Holmoe will then be shouting that Sitake is an amazing coach and that BYU needs to give him a longer extension. 

13 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Actually, not a bad idea.

Since San Jose State no longer has the dirt berm / "spartan" stadium, they could play their games at Edwards Stadium.

The Junior College is closer, yes, but it sounds like you guys want to see what a larger stadium looks like. 

My jc plays at a high school and made the smart decision to delay the start of their season to January 30. I look forward to BYU doing the same.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

My jc plays at a high school and made the smart decision to delay the start of their season to January 30. I look forward to BYU doing the same.

We'll have to see if college football delays the season to January 30th, or sometime later in the Spring.  It could happen. 

2 hours ago, robe said:

That would be a fair deal

The problem is MW went CBS/Fox and BYU is ESPN. Now a deal like what ND and the ACC where it all goes in one pot and gets divide it out could work. Accept Boise has a special cut out and BYU is not taking less than Boise. Its going to be complicated. Maybe just a straight up payment to MW would in the end be better, but then does Boise get a bigger cut of that?

3 hours ago, RSF said:

Army and Navy dont necessarily agree.  And Navy has their own conference to deal with.  Doubt Navy is going to be playing 3 OOC games.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/covid-19-coronavirus-army-navy-rivalry-2020-one-game-were-playing/

“If there’s only one game we’re going to play,” Gladchuk said, “It’s the Army-Navy game. Unless the pandemic is such at the time that we’re precluded by the city of Philadelphia to play that game, we have every intention of playing Army-Navy.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/07/15/army-and-navy-still-expect-a-2020-football-game/

“I have no idea what that game may look like once all necessary safety measures are put in place to guard against the pandemic, but if there’s only one game played in the country this year, we fully expect it will be the Army-Navy game,” Mike Buddie, West Point’s athletic director, told Military Times in a written statement.

It appears that both the AAC and Big XII will go 9 + 2 the AFA/Navy game is in real trouble here.  For Navy it goes 1) Army 2a)ND and 2b) their conference a distant third is AFA.

Now if the AAC helps Army out like the ACC did Notre Dame AFA will get its Navy game. This might also open the door for BYU to cobble a season together as the extra game for AAC teams/Big XII. If the Big XII goes 9+1 then you will likely see the AAC follow and that leaves BYU with only bad choices.

5 hours ago, robe said:

There is always two sides to the story. BYU was treated like SDSU and Hawaii are now. All our damn games were put on the CBSsports or the MTN. When the contract was signed BYU had assurances that we would get rebroadcast rights. Believe me 500k BYU fans including myself all had BYUtv on ready to watch football that 1st weekend of the contract because nobody had those damn channels to start with.  We never had a game on national TV. BYU fans since 1980 had been able to watch all home games anywhere in the country. We were livid

When Utah and TCU left we had no reason to let Wyoming dictate to us what we could or couldn’t do. F Wyoming. We asked to stay in the MWC with a 5 or 6 game football scheduling agreement. Wyoming got a few schools but not the majority to block this. WAC told us yes and Wyoming did it’s thing. This behavior began in an airport years ago. At long last Wyoming finally destroyed WAC football. It took them 2 attempts. 

Apparently Shortly before the MWC talked with Gonzaga the MWC finally told Wyoming to F off and play BYU. Along with this they reached out to BYU about rejoining on similar terms that BYU had originally asked for. I can only assume at the time BYU thought they had a B12 membership coming and didn’t want to abandon the WCC. So the discussion were short with a quick no thank you from BYU. We prefer Gonzaga being our overlord rather than Fing Wyoming. 

good for BSU standing up to Wyoming and it’s diminishing allies. 

Classic BYU... I miss you guys sometimes

33 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

The problem is MW went CBS/Fox and BYU is ESPN. Now a deal like what ND and the ACC where it all goes in one pot and gets divide it out could work. Accept Boise has a special cut out and BYU is not taking less than Boise. Its going to be complicated. Maybe just a straight up payment to MW would in the end be better, but then does Boise get a bigger cut of that?

Just do what Loboman said.

Here is my idea to start the negotiations with. BYU gets no MWC TV revenue.  half of the TV revenue for a game would go to conference. Wild guess BYU’s TV contract is 9-15 million. So 4.5 to 7 million would go to conference plus another 500 to 750k to a team that plays in Provo with no return trip. BYU would get 250 to 350K for a road game without a return trip. 

49 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

I like the ND idea. Just put all the money together and divide it equally this year, this includes BSU. Drop NM or anyone else who decides not to play. 

8 minutes ago, robe said:

Just do what Loboman said.

Here is my idea to start the negotiations with. BYU gets no MWC TV revenue.  half of the TV revenue for a game would go to conference. Wild guess BYU’s TV contract is 9-15 million. So 4.5 to 7 million would go to conference plus another 500 to 750k to a team that plays in Provo with no return trip. BYU would get 250 to 350K for a road game without a return trip. 

9-15m? Listen whatever you are smoking I want some. You all have a variance but it's a 5-7m contract if you have really good opponents and got national home broadcasts you top out at 7m.

Also because of the MW's unequal deal the money won't be easily split. That's why it's unlikely (along with the network issues) this has almost zero chance of happening. It's also why you don't have a legit shot at the Big XII half their contract is fox. You need to look at the ACC and AAC if you want help, ESPN might convince them to because like BYU they are exclusive to that network.

The ACC doesn't have the same internal split issues and ND plays all its other sports with them, that makes for an easy money pot to split. BYU doesn't have that same sort of set up to make this easy.

3 minutes ago, robe said:

I like the ND idea. Just put all the money together and divide it equally this year, this includes BSU. Drop NM or anyone else who decides not to play. 

See my post above about the reason this isn't so simple. I also don't see Boise who sued their conference giving up the extra pay, they can barely win championships now, if it's a level playing field they'll be in serious trouble.

12 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

9-15m? Listen whatever you are smoking I want some. You all have a variance but it's a 5-7m contract if you have really good opponents and got national home broadcasts you top out at 7m.

Also because of the MW's unequal deal the money won't be easily split. That's why it's unlikely (along with the network issues) this has almost zero chance of happening. It's also why you don't have a legit shot at the Big XII half their contract is fox. You need to look at the ACC and AAC if you want help, ESPN might convince them to because like BYU they are exclusive to that network.

The ACC doesn't have the same internal split issues and ND plays all its other sports with them, that makes for an easy money pot to split. BYU doesn't have that same sort of set up to make this easy.

I’m sure Tom is talking with everyone now. At this point staying in the west makes the most sense.

Just make some formula similar to what I said and BYU could pay a lump sum. It wouldn’t be fair to a MWC team traveling to Provo with no return game to have to split the none TV revenue with the entire conference though.