Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

BYU down to 6 games

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, JoeBlo said:

Hmmmm, how are those October/November games looking BYU?

What's that? You only have two games after October 24? No games after Nov 14?

Those two November games are probably moving? Maybe even won't be played?

Your singular focus on BYU, and apparent argument that this all only affects BYU is entertaining, for sure.

Never would have guessed a UTEP fan would be so obsessed over BYU.

Regarding the schedule, the MAC dropping the season just opened up a lot more possible opponents for BYU.  BYU needs to be on the phone with Army.   Maybe the MWC can find more games now too.

BYU still has N Alabama on 11/21.  But with the MAC pulling the plug they lose NIU, plus any other MAC team that might have had an opening.  With the games the MAC had lost already, they didnt have all that many OOC games left after September.  Can only play Army so many times.

It is possible a lot of schools have agreements, but may be waiting for the 2nd wave, if you will pardon the pun, before making announcements.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
45 minutes ago, RSF said:

BYU still has N Alabama on 11/21.  But with the MAC pulling the plug they lose NIU, plus any other MAC team that might have had an opening.  With the games the MAC had lost already, they didnt have all that many OOC games left after September.  Can only play Army so many times.

It is possible a lot of schools have agreements, but may be waiting for the 2nd wave, if you will pardon the pun, before making announcements.

BYU needs to schedule Texas Christian.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/article244801572.html

@robe there are possibly games in Kansas coming for BYU.

Guest #1Stunner
32 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Remember when I said Iowa State cancelled the UNLV game for a home game against a MAC opponent, probably Ball State.

Welp, Iowa State needs a game as well as Notre Dame. Also, BYU and UNLV are still in discussions and is expected to happen. No word on Colorado State. Also, there was a rumor about SJSU that wasn't true. At least back when the rumor started anyway. As of now, the only MWC team is discussions with BYU is UNLV.

BYU really needs to focus on getting games in Texas.

CSU would be ideal, but they have a disaster on their hands right now.

Teams BYU needs to be negotiating with:

Texas Christian

Rice

Baylor

North Texas

SMU

41 minutes ago, RSF said:

Some of you are intentionally putting on blinders. FCS is moving to spring, many of their campuses won't have students. The optics of having football players show up and practice to travel across country for a paycheck game is bad, never mind the NCAA's instinct was to cancel all fall and it took threats by the p5 to keep them from doing.

North Alabama is not happening unless you play in the spring. The writing is on the wall from the presidents (UNI's shut down the whole MAC) won't be taking risks.

Lots of talk by people who don't understand media contracts on here, so I will point out that every conference game is controlled and the best money game in those deals is the conference championships.

OOC games will only happen before a conference season or after, with a two week break before the conference championship or the start of conference play. Protecting the biggest chunk of the media contract is what is important. It's why the ACC and Big XII set the ooc rules they did.

That means specifically independents are affected because they will be extremely limited in November and part of October on available games.

9 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU needs to schedule Texas Christian.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/article244801572.html

@robe there are possibly games in Kansas coming for BYU.

We're one of those 'we have agreements' schools.

2 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

Some of you are intentionally putting on blinders. FCS is moving to spring, many of their campuses won't have students. The optics of having football players show up and practice to travel across country for a paycheck game is bad, never mind the NCAA's instinct was to cancel all fall and it took threats by the p5 to keep them from doing.

North Alabama is not happening unless you play in the spring. The writing is on the wall from the presidents (UNI's shut down the whole MAC) won't be taking risks.

Lots of talk by people who don't understand media contracts on here, so I will point out that every conference game is controlled and the best money game in those deals is the conference championships.

OOC games will only happen before a conference season or after, with a two week break before the conference championship or the start of conference play. Protecting the biggest chunk of the media contract is what is important. It's why the ACC and Big XII set the ooc rules they did.

That means specifically independents are affected because they will be extremely limited in November and part of October on available games.

sigh...

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, RSF said:

We're one of those 'we have agreements' schools.

sigh...

Hopefully Tennessee Tech cancels so BYU and Texas Christian can work a deal out.

It would be a huge deal for BYU's fans that own a 2nd home in Dallas.

My kids were waving a BYU flag in the Missouri sections a couple of years ago in KC. The Missouri fans were amazing. They fully supported my kids. 

OU fans are great. Cheered wildly among a sea of OU fans when Max beat them. No one said one negative word to me. Fans went out of their way to congratulate me. It was pure class that a Wyoming fan would never comprehend. 

TCU fans were out numbered by BYU fans last time I went there. But that was back in the WAC days. We smashed them and what few was there left at half time. 

K state fans are nearly as big of red neck hick fans as Utah fans are. Very rude. K state players were holding on every down. Nut punching players. One player threw a BYU players shoe clear across the field. In the 3rd quarter of the game the replay official overturned a call on the field. The K state player clearly had fumbled a ball before his knee was down. Replay booth with k st officials overturned the call. I would never want to play a team that behaves like that again. 

I have only been to one holy war. Utah’s fans behavior shocked me. I have never seen so many people with little respect to anyone around them. One fan tried to pull down the goal post. A BYU band member used his cymbals to smash his head. The rest of Utes turned tail and ran away after that. They wanted nothing to do with the cymbals. 

Wyovian’s Uncle getting arrested for public intoxication and wearing only overalls in cougar stadium ranks up there. Wyovian told me the details once. He was like 7 at the time. He said it was the turning point of his life. He tells it better than I do. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Guest #1Stunner

@robe

What are you hearing?

Looks like Tom has been working the G5 phone lines.

Still think that Holmoe should have offered to help Boise play this season.   Boise needed financial assistance. 

1 hour ago, TrueAg said:

When is BYU announcing the cancellation of their season? I'm not sure what the hold up is at this point. There are no options left....

ESPN is playing now, their content is taking some hits and BYU playing is more available games. The AAC won't play nice though, BYU is still free to try and schedule games (Cincy and USF are both rumored with spots to fill) but there will be no "conference life line" unless they make concessions.

Liberty needs games, solid indications there they are working on something. Army is also a possible.

Sunbelt is set pretty well set so I wouldn't expect a lot there. CUSA is open for business, but will BYU pay?

Heard a rumor AFA and Army may get some serious AAC love. Which would make it harder on BYU from a bunch of ways as I would expect AFA is a Holme target right now as the only school west of the Rockies playing, Army is an independent with slots and that's two teams to suck up AAC slots.

The Big South Conference (IAA) voted to push back all their fall sports.

But here's the twist.

The Big South said its football-playing schools voted to play up to four non-conference games this fall at each institution's discretion. Body bag games in the fall, conference games in the spring.  So at this pt BYU gets to keep their game with North Alabama.

But they cant play NM State...

44 minutes ago, RSF said:

The Big South Conference (IAA) voted to push back all their fall sports.

But here's the twist.

The Big South said its football-playing schools voted to play up to four non-conference games this fall at each institution's discretion. Body bag games in the fall, conference games in the spring.  So at this pt BYU gets to keep their game with North Alabama.

Southland is going the same route.

Guest #1Stunner

Hoping that BYU makes some scheduling announcement today.

And honestly, I'm sort of surprised that BYU hasn't decided to cancel their season already.   Usually BYU is pretty conservative.

My guess is that their admin feels like if Notre Dame and Navy are willing to play, so can they.  

Guest #1Stunner

BYU lost a few PAC12 basketball games due to the PAC12 shutdown.

Hoping that BYU will schedule the Colorado School of Mines as a replacement.

I feel like the last time BYU lost the Mines Nation, the collective IQ of the Marriott Center rose by 30 points. 

@OrediggerPoke, please tell me that Colorado School of Mines is still playing basketball.   Also, it seems unclear if the MWC also canceled all basketball.