Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

BYU down to 6 games

6 hours ago, robe said:

Just do what Loboman said.

Here is my idea to start the negotiations with. BYU gets no MWC TV revenue.  half of the TV revenue for a game would go to conference. Wild guess BYU’s TV contract is 9-15 million. So 4.5 to 7 million would go to conference plus another 500 to 750k to a team that plays in Provo with no return trip. BYU would get 250 to 350K for a road game without a return trip. 

I keep telling you guys... I’m more than just a pretty faceI have brains to go along with my face and body!🤣😂🤣

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

in the short term I would reach out to NMSU for a game and replace North Alabama with a closer FCS squad.

If UNM is not voting in MW meetings and doesn’t expect tp play in the fall, then no way NMSU plays

23 hours ago, robe said:

There is always two sides to the story. BYU was treated like SDSU and Hawaii are now. All our damn games were put on the CBSsports or the MTN. When the contract was signed BYU had assurances that we would get rebroadcast rights. Believe me 500k BYU fans including myself all had BYUtv on ready to watch football that 1st weekend of the contract because nobody had those damn channels to start with.  We never had a game on national TV. BYU fans since 1980 had been able to watch all home games anywhere in the country. We were livid

When Utah and TCU left we had no reason to let Wyoming dictate to us what we could or couldn’t do. F Wyoming. We asked to stay in the MWC with a 5 or 6 game football scheduling agreement. Wyoming got a few schools but not the majority to block this. WAC told us yes and Wyoming did it’s thing. This behavior began in an airport years ago. At long last Wyoming finally destroyed WAC football. It took them 2 attempts. 

Apparently Shortly before the MWC talked with Gonzaga the MWC finally told Wyoming to F off and play BYU. Along with this they reached out to BYU about rejoining on similar terms that BYU had originally asked for. I can only assume at the time BYU thought they had a B12 membership coming and didn’t want to abandon the WCC. So the discussion were short with a quick no thank you from BYU. We prefer Gonzaga being our overlord rather than Fing Wyoming. 

good for BSU standing up to Wyoming and it’s diminishing allies. 

That is some _classic_  use of disinformation tactics.  The Soviets would be impressed.

"Same Shyatt Different Decade"

8 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

in the short term I would reach out to NMSU for a game and replace North Alabama with a closer FCS squad.

I think MWC will probably go at least a plus one. If the big sky plays we pick up a couple of teams. Liberty is probably going to happen for sure. BYU usually pays $750 K which is close to a p 5 money game. Though with half the crowd that isn’t as good of an investment now. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

1 hour ago, robe said:

I think MWC will probably go at least a plus one. If the big sky plays we pick up a couple of teams. Liberty is probably going to happen for sure. BYU usually pays $750 K which is close to a p 5 money game. Though with half the crowd that isn’t as good of an investment now. 

P5 pay is about 1.4m.  

Byu doesn't pay close to that. They pay about what FCS games go for 500k-800k.

On 7/31/2020 at 12:46 AM, HawaiiMongoose said:

Money talks.  Cougar fans like to point out how much more ESPN pays BYU as an independent than any MWC school gets from our TV contracts.  Show up ready to spend some of that cash and maybe something will happen.

5 Mil one year buy in and their T.V. revenue goes into the pool.

4 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

P5 pay is about 1.4m.  

Byu doesn't pay close to that. They pay about what FCS games go for 500k-800k.

Alabama pays that. BYU usually pays more than most G5 at least what I have seen. I doubt I’m wrong but more power to you If you prove me wrong no skin off my back. 

from I have seen BYU pays what an average P5 pays a FCS team. 

2 hours ago, robe said:

https://fbschedules.com/idaho-state-adds-four-fbs-opponents-to-future-football-schedules/

Here is one game. BYU pays more than MWC teams. No more time for research

Whether you pay more than a MWC team or not isn't the point. The going rate for games is 1.3-1.5m for a P5 who buys a game, that's what Missippi and Arkansas are paying. It's what Michigan and OSU are paying. Same for OU and Texas. That isn't what BYU is paying. They are paying FCS teams 500k (3-600k is the going rate depending on travel) I think you paid NMST like 750k for a game not long ago. As far as I know that's the only G5 team you have bought a game from/done a 2-1 with cash for.

Just now, JoeBlo said:

Whether you pay more than a MWC team or not isn't the point. The going rate for games is 1.3-1.5m for a P5 who buys a game, that's what Missippi and Arkansas are paying. It's what Michigan and OSU are paying. Same for OU and Texas. That isn't what BYU is paying. They are paying FCS teams 500k (3-600k is the going rate depending on travel) I think you paid NMST like 750k for a game not long ago. As far as I know that's the only G5 team you have bought a game from/done a 2-1 with cash for.

I don’t know I think You are right. You are using the top teams in the country. BYU pays more than G5 teams. I would guess they pay similar to the bottom 1/3 of the P5. I’ll look into it more and see exactly were BYU pays. I think from my link I would be surprised if I’m wrong. 

https://fbschedules.com/kansas-to-open-2020-season-in-week-zero-against-southern-illinois/

Ok once again I’m right. BYU isn’t going to pay what Michigan or Alabama. We pay probably similar to PAC12.  2 articles point to what I already thought. BYU has the 2nd highest attendance in the West.

1.4 Million is not the going rate for an FCS school to play a P5 team. That was just a silly statement from you. BYU isn’t paid that much for a one and done or a 2 for 1. 

you need to know your facts before you make statements. 

I can’t wait to see all your links about Oregon st, Duke, K state, Vanderbilt and Iowa St paying an FCS school 1.4 million. 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:35 PM, robe said:

Holmoe finally needs to have a talk with Craig. 

No, probably just a good idea to let BYU figure out another way out of this mess without the MWC.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

I would think that G5 schools would be in the same 'pay to not play' boat, that the P5s are in. If MWC teams are expecting some kind of compensation for P5's canceling games and deciding to go conference only games, and the MWC does the same thing, and cancels other G5/FCS games so that we're conference only. Those teams would want some kind of compensation as well... que no? 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, robe said:

https://fbschedules.com/kansas-to-open-2020-season-in-week-zero-against-southern-illinois/

Ok once again I’m right. BYU isn’t going to pay what Michigan or Alabama. We pay probably similar to PAC12.  2 articles point to what I already thought. BYU has the 2nd highest attendance in the West.

1.4 Million is not the going rate for an FCS school to play a P5 team. That was just a silly statement from you. BYU isn’t paid that much for a one and done or a 2 for 1. 

I can’t wait to see all your links about Oregon st, Duke, K state, Vanderbilt and Iowa St paying an FCS school 1.4 million. 

Old Dominion is getting $1.5 million for a game in 2024

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, robe said:

*Sigh

That's the cost for you to get a g5 team. Small budgets mean it is highly unlikely any FCS teams will be playing. I also told you what the going rate was for FCS buy games. 

Here is an article specifically talking about pay outs where Michigan pays 1.8m, it goes on and list several programs the average is 1.3-1.5 for a G5 game. It agrees with me that the average pay out for FCS pay is 250-750k depending on travel and school paying. This is over various years, the MAC schools for example got some of their buy games four or five years ago when the costs were lower so they are 1.1-1.3m 

https://triblive.com/sports/bye-buy-games-smaller-college-football-programs-could-lose-millions-in-power-5-payouts/

That's what you are looking at paying if you want to play CUSA teams bud. 1.3-1.5m a team, maybe more. That's the sort of money that gets those teams to give up a home game. They have bills too.

Here is a list of all guarenteed games from 2019. You can look for yourself. You will see some smaller numbers but those are the end of 2-1 deals (usually 300-800k) or they involve the home team moving a game to different "neutral" location Houston at the Texans stadium, Rice there too for Texas, various Louisiana schools at the Superdome, etc.

Usually those deals involve a pro stadium near by, sometimes they are special provisions for a neutral game where one team will have more people. Some of the small pay outs are travel subsidies as well similar to what Hawaii does. They may also be to even out a home and home series where one side is clearly more valuable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/08/27/college-football-full-list-guarantee-games-2019-season/2126476001/

Kentucky paid Toledo 1.2m

Illinois paid Akron 1.1m

Arkansas paid SJSU 1.5m to get whooped 

Iowa paid Middle Tenn St 1.55m

Missouri paid Troy 1.3m

These are all pre-pandemic and not exactly teams known as football powers. Auburn paid 1.95m to Tulane for example or LSU paid 1.5m to Utah State and in return got special TV money and 1.5m to play Texas. Alabama and Michigan pay quite well too. Not every p5 team has a buy game each year, but I don't feel like looking specifically for those schools you mentioned since they didn't in 2019.

On 7/30/2020 at 10:34 PM, #1Stunner said:

OK.  But we'd need to play our game against San Jose at your Junior College.... 

San Jose took down the dirt berm and doesn't have a stadium until 2023.

They only need the field to play the game right ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor