Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Trump calling to delay the election

54 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Part of me thinks that this is at least in part to distract from the economic information coming out today.

Should be a big part of you that thinks that.

2 minutes ago, sebasour said:

It was a few months ago and the article could have very well been bullshit, I honestly don't know, and I didn't really care since I'm not concerned about it happening.

Basically they said we would no longer have a President or VP, nor a House of Representatives since every member would have their term expire. The presidency would then go to the longest serving member of the majority party in the senate. The Senate would only have 67 elected members though, and the rest would be appointed by governors where The Democrats apparently have the edge in those 33 states.

Again though, I acknowledge this could all be bullshit. We never went down that far the rabbit hole in high schools civics classes.

Oh that’s right.  I forgot about the house. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

Oh that’s right.  I forgot about the house. 

If the elections aren't held the presidency would ultimately go to the Senate pro tempore which would be a democrat.

People, not a fan.

25 minutes ago, sebasour said:

I recall reading that if Trump managed to somehow suspend the election, Pat Leahy would become President

Incorrect

If the election were not held, Pelosi would be President in January. She's next in line. Without an election the succession would move it. 

One of the Final Five..........

Can someone explain why the push for mail in voting vs absentee voting? Are we so lazy that we can't request a ballot? Obviously delaying the election is a non starter but it seems like this is just more opportunities for lawyers to make a buck.

2 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Incorrect

If the election were not held, Pelosi would be President in January. She's next in line. Without an election the succession would move it. 

Wouldn't she no longer be a member of the house, as her term would expire?

Again I fully acknowledge that I have no idea here

It's a moot point.  Only Congress can change the date, and that aint happenin'.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

6 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Can someone explain why the push for mail in voting vs absentee voting? Are we so lazy that we can't request a ballot? Obviously delaying the election is a non starter but it seems like this is just more opportunities for lawyers to make a buck.

Covid 19. Not sure about the distinction between absentee and mail in. Maybe the logistics of getting volunteers to polling places.

Adequate polling places without hours long waits, especially in minority areas, where people have to work.

They either need to allow mail in voting or make it a national holiday.

1 minute ago, sebasour said:

Wouldn't she no longer be a member of the house, as her term would expire?

Again I fully acknowledge that I have no idea here

with the election not held, the call would be made prior to the end of year dissolving of the government.

I don't think this will get there, we will have the election. The orange buffoon will simply refuse to acknowledge the results. He'll be carried out kicking and screaming obliterating the peaceful transition of power tradition.

He doesn’t have the power to do it. Is he an idiot for suggesting it? Absphuckinglutly!! And it’s one more example of just how  of a moron the man is. How anyone can excuse Trumps behavior and support this clown is a question that will defy humanity for centuries.

3 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Covid 19. Not sure about the distinction between absentee and mail in. Maybe the logistics of getting volunteers to polling places.

Adequate polling places without hours long waits, especially in minority areas, where people have to work.

They either need to allow mail in voting or make it a national holiday.

From what I can see, absentee balloting are for registered voters and mail in doesn't require any proof of eligibility. Seems like a nightmare for lawsuits and ballots being thrown out after the fact.

9 minutes ago, sean327 said:

He doesn’t have the power to do it. Is he an idiot for suggesting it? Absphuckinglutly!! And it’s one more example of just how  of a moron the man is. How anyone can excuse Trumps behavior and support this clown is a question that will defy humanity for centuries.

i think it's partly a test to see who would respond to help him do it

2 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

Wouldn't Trump's term in office still expire if the election were postponed?  (Assuming it was postponed after the end of the year)

yes it would. As would pence.

Leaving the office to Pelosi 

trump doing this is about setting the table for calling the election a sham. He and his rabid followers would raise hell for a very long time and flood the courts with challenges.

It seems stupid to us. But it's chaos inducing face saving for him.

3 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

From what I can see, absentee balloting are for registered voters and mail in doesn't require any proof of eligibility. Seems like a nightmare for lawsuits and ballots being thrown out after the fact.

Most places absentee is the same thing as mail-in.  It does depend on the state - but all of them require proof of eligibility and for you to be registered to vote.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/501577-heres-where-your-state-stands-on-mail-in-voting

The real issue is there are 17 states that require you to have a reason for absentee voting.  You can't just request one due to fear of getting Covid while standing in line for 5 hours. Some of those states are conservative and sticking to the rules.  Some are more liberal and trying to figure out ways to get people the ability to reasonably vote.

Just now, bsu_alum9 said:

Most places absentee is the same thing as mail-in.  It does depend on the state - but all of them require proof of eligibility and for you to be registered to vote.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/501577-heres-where-your-state-stands-on-mail-in-voting

The real issue is there are 17 states that require you to have a reason for absentee voting.  You can't just request one due to fear of getting Covid while standing in line for 5 hours. Some of those states are conservative and sticking to the rules.  Some are more liberal and trying to figure out ways to get people the ability to reasonably vote.

I only looked at NM. Covid clearly falls in the legit reasons.

31 minutes ago, mysfit said:

yes it would. As would pence.

Leaving the office to Pelosi 

No, Pelosi’s would expire too. Chuck Grassley becomes President.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

49 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I only looked at NM. Covid clearly falls in the legit reasons.

Yeah, I'm trying to find an infographic that I read yesterday but I'm having no luck. Anyway, fear of Covid was valid in about half the states were you "need an excuse" to vote absentee.