Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Who do you think Biden will pick as his VP?

Who will Biden's VP pick be?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Votr!

• Stacey Abrams
    • Tammy Baldwin
    • Karen Bass
    • Keisha Lance Bottoms
    • Val Demings
    • Tammy Duckworth
    • Michelle Lujan Grisham
    • Kamala Harris
    • Susan Rice
    • Elizabeth Warren
    • Gretchen Whitmer

We're coming down the final stretch before the DNC (virtual) convention, which is just a few weeks ago. I would think they want a VP pick in place at least a week or two prior to the convention itself, so I'd expect an announcement pretty soon.

Who do you think he will end up picking? Not necessarily who do you think he should pick, but who do you think it will be?

30 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Who do you think he will end up picking? Not necessarily who do you think he should pick, but who do you think it will be?

I voted Kamala as most likely to be picked by Biden.

I do think he should pick a MWC grad though like Duckworth (UH) or Lujan Grisham (UNM). Or at least someone who attended a MW school, like Bass (SDSU).

I said Demings because I think she would be the best choice. However, several of the others have next to no chance.

Abrams: Word is her lobbying for the job wasn't received favorably by Biden.

Baldwin: Who?

Lujan Grisham: I thought she'd already declared herself uninterested.

Warren: Thanks to Trump, Biden now knows he doesn't need to court the Feel the Bern types.

Whitmer: Being white she already had one strike against her and then she allowed militia types to carry semi-auto weapons in the MIchigan statehouse.

14 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I said Demings because I think she would be the best choice. However, several of the others have next to no chance.

Warren: Thanks to Trump, Biden now knows he doesn't need to court the Feel the Bern types.

Whitmer: Being white she already had one strike against her and then she allowed militia types to carry semi-auto weapons in the MIchigan statehouse.

That list seemed to be the most complete of the names I've heard. A number of them are likely not under consideration at this juncture. 

What I seem to recall hearing last week is that there are six individuals still under consideration, and four of them are black women. Knowing that, I think the list probably looks like this right now, in no particular order:

• Val Demings
  • Tammy Duckworth
  • Susan Rice
  • Keisha Lance Bottoms
  • Michelle Lujan Grisham
  • Kamala Harris

12 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

As a card carrying Bernie Bro, the ability of Warren to bring in Bernie voters has been pretty overstated. Most of her more left supporters had already defected to Bernie by the end. She also pissed off a lot of Bernie supporters in how she handled the leak about their private meeting and how she refused to drop out and endorse Bernie after SC and before Super Tuesday when it was clear she had no chance. There are a few people he could pick if attracting Bernie Bros was a concern, but he won’t pick any of those.

As much as I would love to see him move to left, he just doesn’t have to. 

Corn Pop

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

58 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I voted Kamala as most likely to be picked by Biden.

I do think he should pick a MWC grad though like Duckworth (UH) or Lujan Grisham (UNM). Or at least someone who attended a MW school, like Bass (SDSU).

MW grads saving America ?

To this point Ivy League types have screwed up our Guv. Maybe the problems require smaller City and Western values.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I think that he's going to end up going with Susan Rice. I think he should go with Tammy Duckworth.

Although Rice is an extremely bright and well educated woman and could be very effective as the VP, I think she might be a bad choice. Regardless of what the polls may say, Biden doesn't have this thing locked up and not only has RIce never run for elective office, she is devoid of personality and so wouldn't figure to be of much use on the campaign trail (if there actually is such a thing this year).

50 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

As a card carrying Bernie Bro, the ability of Warren to bring in Bernie voters has been pretty overstated. Most of her more left supporters had already defected to Bernie by the end. She also pissed off a lot of Bernie supporters in how she handled the leak about their private meeting and how she refused to drop out and endorse Bernie after SC and before Super Tuesday when it was clear she had no chance. There are a few people he could pick if attracting Bernie Bros was a concern, but he won’t pick any of those.

As much as I would love to see him move to left, he just doesn’t have to. 

His platform is totally moving left.  Maybe not as far left as you like, but he's running way left than he was in the primaries.  He must feel pretty safe at this point.

Just now, WAC_FAN said:

His platform is totally moving left.  Maybe not as far left as you like, but he's running way left than he was in the primaries.  He must feel pretty safe at this point.

“Way left”? How so? 

I really think Duckworth and Rice as well.   I think it would be funny to see Trump try to speak for the military next to Duckworth.  She is a real pit bull.  

Rice has a real calm demeanor and she seems really bright.  

I don't really get the best impression from Abrams and Harris.  I don't really like the idea of a prosecutor or someone who didn't even win their last election.

VPs don't deliver any voters or states...they are, at best, really good surrogates.

Posted Image

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

“Way left”? How so? 

His Clean Energy Proposal stole many elements from the Green New Deal

He strengthened the public option in his health care plan, even though he hasn't embraced Medicare for All Yet

He is advocating free 4-year college for Americans whose families made less than 125k.

It's important to take his stances in the context of the party.  As the party has gone left, so has Biden.  He will always be on the center-left of the party, but he's always been a "go with the flow" sort of person, who supports the middle of the party platform. (Which Bernie is helping put together)

28 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Although Rice is an extremely bright and well educated woman and could be very effective as the VP, I think she might be a bad choice. Regardless of what the polls may say, Biden doesn't have this thing locked up and not only has RIce never run for elective office, she is devoid of personality and so wouldn't figure to be of much use on the campaign trail (if there actually is such a thing this year).

Her involvement in the Benghazi debacle won’t help either. You can bet your ass Trump will run ads showing her lying to all the news outlets, and those ads will run 24/7 for 2 months straight. I think she would be a decent VP, but she’s damaged goods thanks to Hillary.

20 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

He strengthened the public option in his health care plan, even though he hasn't embraced Medicare for All Yet

He is advocating free 4-year college for Americans whose families made less than 125k.

It's important to take his stances in the context of the party.  As the party has gone left, so has Biden.  He will always be on the center-left of the party, but he's always been a "go with the flow" sort of person, who supports the middle of the party platform. (Which Bernie is helping put together)

I don't know what you mean by "many elements" and anything Biden does to reverse Trump's idiotic environmental policies is a plus.

As to the other two things, the only one I disagree with is free 4-year college tuition. Two years fine, but just two years.

On a related point, contrary to comments from Mr. Grumpy, what Biden absolutely has not done is express support for defunding police departments.

26 minutes ago, Akkula said:

I really think Duckworth and Rice as well.   I think it would be funny to see Trump try to speak for the military next to Duckworth.  She is a real pit bull.  

Rice has a real calm demeanor and she seems really bright.  

I don't really get the best impression from Abrams and Harris.  I don't really like the idea of a prosecutor or someone who didn't even win their last election.

VPs don't deliver any voters or states...they are, at best, really good surrogates.

This pick is pretty important though. Biden is likely One term and done, if he even survives 4 years.

37 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

I guess I just don’t consider that moving “way left”. I also question how much of that he actually plans to follow through with, outside of the public option.