Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

Stephen Millers grandmother dies from Covid

6 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

Pointing out the extreme hyperbole is not defending him.  Maybe you have lost your objectivity when you can't tell the difference.

The irony of mentioning objectivity while defending everything he does...

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

End mortgage tax deductions

I will be all for this.

In a little more than 5 years...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 minutes ago, alum93 said:

The irony of mentioning objectivity while defending everything he does...

In fact, I did not defend this policy.  I commented on Mug wasting his time providing context.  To you and Retro and others, that is defending Trump.  If you don't pile on with ridiculous rhetoric you are somehow "defending everything he does."  Lack of objectivity.

28 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

In fact, I did not defend this policy.  I commented on Mug wasting his time providing context.  To you and Retro and others, that is defending Trump.  If you don't pile on with ridiculous rhetoric you are somehow "defending everything he does."  Lack of objectivity.

OMG! You disagreed with him on something, congratu+++++inglations!

5 minutes ago, retrofade said:

It's classic.  Yeah i posted 1000 times agreeing with Trump, but did you catch the one time i disagreed with Trump.

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

Please link all my posts defending him tirelessly.  You won't find them.  You will just find me commenting on idiotic posts from you and others where you can't distinguish between your hate of the man and what actually is happening.

5 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

Canada, France, New Zealand. Switzerland if I could make it work financially. 

America is pretty awesome tho. I'd much rather see us have nationwide reckoning on race relations and fix our shit instead of leaving. 

We could solve major problems with America in like 10 or even 20 years if we could just be on the same page that there is even a problem... 

End the war on drugs today. All drugs, all doses, all amounts, totally legal. All money currently geared toward fighting it continues to pay salaries for govt employees working there with a 10 year deadline and each year the amount tapers down. Give people a chance to change careers or move. Simultaneously ramp up spending for mental health, drug treatment and health care with that money so at the end of ten years you have the same budgetary demands but a different apparatus for handling the problems. 

Take money from defense and police and give it to schools, and forget the local based taxes going to local schools. All public schools receive equal money. 

Immigration is streamlined and people can stay as guests in this country and pay taxes for their work under their guest status easy peasy. Let them in until the economic incentive for them to come here balances out. 

De militarize police

End mandatory sentencing and unequal sentencing for non violent crime. 

Provide gentrification loans for long term renters in historically forgotten and black communities so they can stay and reinvent the neighborhoods (az well as profit from it) they've lived in for forever 

Build urban mass transit like a thousand times more widespread than what we have now. It should be stupid easy to live in a large city and commute with bus and metro in under an hour

And all the problems we'd have from these proposed solutions are way better than the nonsense we are dealing with now. 

9417333E-9265-4541-97EA-BE111A0C580D.jpeg

22 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

21 hours ago, renoskier said:

I especially like this one.

Home ownership is a great thing, it doesn't need to be incentivized. 

As long as landlords give up their deductions as well.  

110926run_defense710.jpg

22 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

Canada, France, New Zealand. Switzerland if I could make it work financially. 

America is pretty awesome tho. I'd much rather see us have nationwide reckoning on race relations and fix our shit instead of leaving. 

We could solve major problems with America in like 10 or even 20 years if we could just be on the same page that there is even a problem... 

End the war on drugs today. All drugs, all doses, all amounts, totally legal. All money currently geared toward fighting it continues to pay salaries for govt employees working there with a 10 year deadline and each year the amount tapers down. Give people a chance to change careers or move. Simultaneously ramp up spending for mental health, drug treatment and health care with that money so at the end of ten years you have the same budgetary demands but a different apparatus for handling the problems. 

Take money from defense and police and give it to schools, and forget the local based taxes going to local schools. All public schools receive equal money. 

Immigration is streamlined and people can stay as guests in this country and pay taxes for their work under their guest status easy peasy. Let them in until the economic incentive for them to come here balances out. 

De militarize police

End mandatory sentencing and unequal sentencing for non violent crime. 

Provide gentrification loans for long term renters in historically forgotten and black communities so they can stay and reinvent the neighborhoods (az well as profit from it) they've lived in for forever 

Build urban mass transit like a thousand times more widespread than what we have now. It should be stupid easy to live in a large city and commute with bus and metro in under an hour

And all the problems we'd have from these proposed solutions are way better than the nonsense we are dealing with now. 

Also end or at least significantly curtail the prevalence of single family zoning. YIMBY.

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

As long as landlords give up their deductions as well.  

Technically, landlords don't get an interest tax deduction.

Like any other business, they are taxed on net profits. Simply, revenue minus business expenses.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, #1Stunner said:

Great point.

Republicans obsess and rage about AOC---a junior congresswoman who hasn't accomplished anything.

Democrats obsess and rage about a guy like Stephen Miller---a bit player in the Trump administration.

Both are partisan hacks, who say inflammatory things about the other side. 

So.... I guess...... Stephen Miller equivalent to Hitler, and AOC the next Stalin.

Human nature is the same on both sides. 

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

I know you're being facetious here, but there is no equivalence between the two. Miller's political outlook and worldview is informed by his belief that people of color are inferior to whites. Look no further than his references to the Camp of the Saints. That belief provides the subtext for his contribution to the Trump camp's immigration policy. 

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Technically, landlords don't get an interest tax deduction.

Like any other business, they are taxed on net profits. Simply, revenue minus business expenses.

Depreciation is a phantom expense.  Besides, "Home ownership is a great thing, it doesn't need to be incentivized. ".

110926run_defense710.jpg

4 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Depreciation is a phantom expense.  Besides, "Home ownership is a great thing, it doesn't need to be incentivized. ".

So, who mentioned "depreciation"? I thought we were talking about "mortgage interest"?

There would be a large market correction but I'd be okay with doing away with the depreciation deduction; it is there for a reason.

I can tell your mostly looking at this from a residential perspective but tax wise, real estate is real estate. The reason why depreciation is allowed is because even though the underlining land might be increasing in value, the structure itself is depreciating. Older buildings do require more maintenance and all buildings eventually become obsolete. Real estate is a long term investment.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

So, who mentioned "depreciation"? I thought we were talking about "mortgage interest"?

There would be a large market correction but I'd be okay with doing away with the depreciation deduction; it is there for a reason.

I can tell your mostly looking at this from a residential perspective but tax wise, real estate is real estate. The reason why depreciation is allowed is because even though the underlining land might be increasing in value, the structure itself is depreciating. Older buildings do require more maintenance and all buildings eventually become obsolete. Real estate is a long term investment.

Then allow homeowners the depreciation deduction as well, "Home ownership is a great thing, it doesn't need to be incentivized. ".

110926run_defense710.jpg

14 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Then allow homeowners the depreciation deduction as well, "Home ownership is a great thing, it doesn't need to be incentivized. ".

Okay. Would the homeowner have to pay recapture upon transfer?

Homeowners already get a $500,000 capital gains exemption. 

Before this became a discussion of the pros and cons of real estate ownership and taxes, it was a discussion revolving, in part, around Stephen Miller’s impact on the Trump Administration’s immigration policies. At least one poster was unaware of who Miller was, and another (Stunner, and probably others, but I’m not going to reread the entire thread for the purpose of calling them out) attempted to minimize Miller’s policy influence within the admin. This is an inaccurate portrayal. 

This Politico article is adapted from a forthcoming book on Miller and is worth a read in order to better understand exactly influence of white nationalist movement and white supremacists, and specifically conservative activist, David Horowitz, had and still have on Miller, and through him the Trump Administration, US immigration policy and conservative attitudes toward brown people in general. 

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/08/01/stephen-miller-david-horowitz-mentor-389933

I found the following sections particularly revelatory as they relate to the posting tactics of a now permanent-banned former member of this forum. Seems Miller isn’t the only Horowitz acolyte we’re (now)) familiar with here.

Horowitz, who is Jewish like Miller, argues that Protestant Christian doctrines are fundamental to America and are under direct assault by Muslims, progressives and anyone who argues with his ideology. Having leaped from left-wing radicalism to right-wing radicalism, he uses the language of the civil rights movement to attack it, painting conservative white men as victims of discrimination and defending hate speech with appeals to “intellectual diversity.” “Academic freedom is most likely to thrive in an environment of intellectual diversity that protects and fosters independence of thought and speech,” reads the “Academic Bill of Rights” he created for his youth group, “Students for Academic Freedom.” Meanwhile, his acolytes learn to invert and deflect criticism. Liberals and people of color are “bigots,” “racists,” and “oppressors,” Horowitz has said multiple times. “The racists here are blacks who have been brainwashed into thinking all cops are white and oppressing them,” Horowitz has tweeted.

In January 2016, he was officially brought on to shape Trump’s speeches and immigration policy; it’s easy to hear similarities to Horowitz’s arguments, as well as his advice on style, in Trump’s speeches today.

That might be because almost from the beginning of Miller’s new role, he went to his old mentor for speech ideas and policy advice, according to correspondence Horowitz shared with me. On May 9, 2016, Miller emailed him. “What are some ways the government and the oligarchs who rely on the government have ‘rigged’ the system against poor young blacks and hispanics?” In his strategy paper about appealing to fear, Horowitz had urged Republicans in their war on Democrats to “put their victims—women, minorities, the poor and working Americans—in front of every argument.” Accordingly, he responded to Miller with what he called a “soundbite”: “Everything that is wrong with the inner city, everything that stifles the aspirations of minorities and the poor and blocks their advancement, that policy can effect, Democrats are 100% responsible for.