Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Seattle NHL

59 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Personally, I like the anchor logo better. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Not bad.  I really like the team colors and can see the anchor logo making a cool alternate jersey.  My first choice for team nickname would have been the Washington Whalers due to my nostalgia for the old Hartford Whalers.  Of course that nickname was never a possibility but I'd have loved if it was.

58 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

Decent attempt. It’ll be interesting to see if they grow a sustained following up there. 

Also, the NHL needs to bring back the Nordiques already. 

I don't think it will be any problem as there is a ready and willing NHL fanbase in the northwest.  As far as the Nordiques go it's gonna take a team like Florida, Carolina or Phoenix to fail and move to even have a shot of a team returning to Quebec City.  The NHL isn't going to expand again for quite some time and besides that there is little chance a potential owner in Quebec City could afford the expansion fee vs the far lower relocation fee.

3 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I don't think it will be any problem as there is a ready and willing NHL fanbase in the northwest.  As far as the Nordiques go it's gonna take a team like Florida, Carolina or Phoenix to fail and move to even have a shot of a team returning to Quebec City.  The NHL isn't going to expand again for quite some time and besides that there is little chance a potential owner in Quebec City could afford the expansion fee vs the far lower relocation fee.

Miami teams (except the Dolphins) should be looking for new homes 

Wonder how NHL would work in SLC..................VGK might not like that as it would claim a big potential part of the VGK inter-mountain territory 

19 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Miami teams (except the Dolphins) should be looking for new homes 

Wonder how NHL would work in SLC..................VGK might not like that as it would claim a big potential part of the VGK inter-mountain territory 

The next cities that get a shot at NHL teams are looking like Houston, Kansas City and Quebec City.  I have a hard time thinking SLC would be a serious contender vs these other cities.

32 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

LMFAO

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

The next cities that get a shot at NHL teams are looking like Houston, Kansas City and Quebec City.  I have a hard time thinking SLC would be a serious contender vs these other cities.

Just thinking for travel, the west needs more locations - Agree that Houston might be the top target - Large metro without ever seeing NHL 

KC is about the same basic size as the LV market, but there's a decent population within 2 hours drive unlike LV & they would be on the eastern edge of the Western Conf - NHL bombed there once as the KC Scouts, then became the Colorado Rockies then on to the NJ Devils, but times have changed & Denver got a team back at the expense of Quebec 

With Seattle entering, they will move into the Pacific Division with AZ Coyotes shifting to central...........which could lead to a relocation to Houston 

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Just thinking for travel, the west needs more locations - Agree that Houston might be the top target - Large metro without ever seeing NHL 

KC is about the same basic size as the LV market, but there's a decent population within 2 hours drive unlike LV & they would be on the eastern edge of the Western Conf - NHL bombed there once as the KC Scouts, then became the Colorado Rockies then on to the NJ Devils, but times have changed & Denver got a team back at the expense of Quebec 

With Seattle entering, they will move into the Pacific Division with AZ Coyotes shifting to central...........which could lead to a relocation to Houston 

Other than Portland there really aren't any cities in the west left that could host an NHL franchise.  SLC for me is a huge stretch.  The NHL, while slowly but steadily gaining just isn't popular enough in the US to place a franchise in a smaller city.  I also question KC as a viable market.  My bet is that Houston gets the next relocation team with Quebec City coming in second.

22 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Other than Portland there really aren't any cities in the west left that could host an NHL franchise.  SLC for me is a huge stretch.  The NHL, while slowly but steadily gaining just isn't popular enough in the US to place a franchise in a smaller city.  I also question KC as a viable market.  My bet is that Houston gets the next relocation team with Quebec City coming in second.

True - Out west there's only San Diego, Portland & SLC as potential markets - then going east it's OKC, KC & Houston 

The only way the NHL works in a smaller market (1M to 1.5M) is in a northern tier US or Canadian market - Winnipeg metro isn't that big but it's a hockey hotbed being in Canada 

So after those options you have to look east of the Mississippi river to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta (3rd time), Charlotte, Baltimore Indianapolis, Memphis, Milwaukee, for metro areas that currently have pro sports 

12 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

SLC already has a hockey arena, built for the Olympics and we've had minor hockey here since the 70's.  And Utah is still the fastest growing state in the country with an expected population of 5 million by 2050.  But, there still isn't a lot of corporate business here, and hockey is very much a fringe sport locally.  I think it would do okay here, but not great. 

Also I just don't want to see the NHL too watered down with franchises in 40 cities

salt-lake-city-west-valley-city-ut-pictu