Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Mountain West Preseason All Conference Team

21 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

https://twitter.com/MountainWest/sta

7?s=20https://twitter.com/MountainWest/status/1286000586559614977?s=20

Offense looks spot on. Defense, Scale Igiehon is a monster that is gunna have a huge year... but a little surprised that the league recognized that as he didn't start last year. Also surprising that Avery Williams is 1st team. He was only an HM last year while Jalen Walker was a 2nd team CB. I actually don't even think he'll be one of Boise's starting CBs by the end of the season.

Conference POTY comes out today. I think Hurricane gets the nod on offense. There really isn't a standout returning offensive player in the league this year. Defense is a toss up, but I'm leaning towards Cam Thomas. 

21 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Conference POTY comes out today. I think Hurricane gets the nod on offense. There really isn't a standout returning offensive player in the league this year. Defense is a toss up, but I'm leaning towards Cam Thomas. 

I would think Tariq Thomas on D...

27 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Also surprising that Avery Williams is 1st team. He was only an HM last year while Jalen Walker was a 2nd team CB. I actually don't even think he'll be one of Boise's starting CBs by the end of the season.

So apparently the team has to nominate guys for the award - and they left off Walker.  Not sure if they were only allowed to nominate 2 DB's or what, but the two seniors were the ones the Broncos gave the nod to (Williams and Kaniho).

21 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I dunno about Hank.  I'd lean toward one of the WR's or RB's.  Valladay being the most sure bet IMO - you'd think his production will still be impressive with coaching continuity and Wyoming still being good.  Williams got a new coaching staff so who knows what UNLV will do.  Tre Walker loses his QB, so his production might drop.  Warren Jackson got a new HC who likes to run more. Shakir might be a good pick as well - he should produce a ton this year.

Defensively - Justin Rice is the most productive tackler returning.

22 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I dunno about Hank.  I'd lean toward one of the WR's or RB's.  Valladay being the most sure bet IMO - you'd think his production will still be impressive with coaching continuity and Wyoming still being good.  Williams got a new coaching staff so who knows what UNLV will do.  Tre Walker loses his QB, so his production might drop.  Warren Jackson got a new HC who likes to run more. Shakir might be a good pick as well - he should produce a ton this year.

Defensively - Justin Rice is the most productive tackler returning.

I can't remember the last time a WR won OPOTY. It's almost always a QB. RBs can if they put up special numbers. Penny and Pump both led the country in rushing when they won it. Pump also won it the year SDSU dominated the conference and there wasn't another decent team in the league and no other stand out players. 75-80% of the time it's going to go to a QB.

And with the DPOTY, since often times the leading tacklers in the conference tend to come from the weaker teams, that is just one of many things that are taken into account. Where the team finishes matter, how good the defense is, playmaking stats like TFL, sacks, hurries, FF, FR, INTs and things of that matter all go into it. Rice will be in the discussion, but they look at WAY more than just total tackles.

26 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

And with the DPOTY, since often times the leading tacklers in the conference tend to come from the weaker teams, that is just one of many things that are taken into account. Where the team finishes matter, how good the defense is, playmaking stats like TFL, sacks, hurries, FF, FR, INTs and things of that matter all go into it. Rice will be in the discussion, but they look at WAY more than just total tackles.

I totally agree. I think there's a good chance it will be somebody completely different (Boise has 3 or 4 dudes who weren't even All-MW that could end up getting it at the end of the year).  But I think Rice is probably the most productive so far and most likely to get the preseason nod.

As for OPOTY - if I had to bet on who wins it end of year - I'd take Cordeiro.  That dude will put up some monster video game numbers this year. There's a chance Hank isn't even the starter for Boise this year.

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I totally agree. I think there's a good chance it will be somebody completely different (Boise has 3 or 4 dudes who weren't even All-MW that could end up getting it at the end of the year).  But I think Rice is probably the most productive so far and most likely to get the preseason nod.

As for OPOTY - if I had to bet on who wins it end of year - I'd take Cordeiro.  That dude will put up some monster video game numbers this year. There's a chance Hank isn't even the starter for Boise this year.

Yeah, preseason DPOTY is way up for grabs. Could go a lot of different players. 

Cordeiro is a terrible pick, but they lost their entire coaching staff and didn't get Spring ball to implement the new system.They lose a shet ton of production at WR, as well. They also aren't likely to win the West. @SDSU, @Fresno, @Air Force, and home against Boise State who beat them soundly both times last year. They are likely .500 in conference.

10 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Interesting that the reigning STPOTY returns, but isn't the preseason STPOTY. Scarver is certainly worthy, though. I'll put money down that Warren Jackson won't be the end of season OPOTY

37 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Interesting that the reigning STPOTY returns, but isn't the preseason STPOTY. Scarver is certainly worthy, though. I'll put money down that Warren Jackson won't be the end of season OPOTY

We'll see.  I do think it will go to a QB.  WJ, OTOH could be poised for a huge season.  Addazio does like to run the ball, but the new OC likes to throw it, and an improved running game will give Jackson a lot more room to shine.  I expect him to get fewer targets, but I also expect him to be pretty open most of the time.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

We'll see.  I do think it will go to a QB.  WJ, OTOH could be poised for a huge season.  Addazio does like to run the ball, but the new OC likes to throw it, and an improved running game will give Jackson a lot more room to shine.  I expect him to get fewer targets, but I also expect him to be pretty open most of the time.

He is a phenomenal WR. Probably the best in the MW (I really like Tre Walker too). It's just so hard for a WR to even be in the conversation. They would have to have insanely eye-popping numbers on a dominant team for that to happen. 

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

He is a phenomenal WR. Probably the best in the MW (I really like Tre Walker too). It's just so hard for a WR to even be in the conversation. They would have to have insanely eye-popping numbers on a dominant team for that to happen. 

Yeah, it's definitely a QB's default throne to take.  I don't disagree with the notion that Hank should be that guy, with one caveat.  Has he finally been coached to play like he's got another game to play next week, and will he get the protection he needs?

14 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Yeah, it's definitely a QB's default throne to take.  I don't disagree with the notion that Hank should be that guy, with one caveat.  Has he finally been coached to play like he's got another game to play next week, and will he get the protection he needs?

That has been the main focus of the coaches in the offseason. Protection? To be determined... 

LOL!  I don't care how dumb a QB plays, his physical health will always be credited to his protection.  Good or bad.