Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

New Mexico Governor asks UNM not to play football this year

1 hour ago, robe said:

I agree but who else follows with them. California might sit out. But with SEC playing on the PAC12 just goes further behind. MWC might go on without California and join with the rest of P12

Texas has already let their season ticket holders know that they will play at 50% stadium capacity. So it looks like the Big-12 is also playing. 

im willing to bet that the SEC, Big-12, ACC and AAC all play a full schedule this fall. The Big-10 and PAC-12 will play conference schedules only. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Our governor is on a power trip. Recently closed inside restaurant dining without any evidence that restaurants were the reason for the spike in cases (probably all the protests). And she says “New Mexicans did this to the restaurants.” She doesn’t care about NM as all summer tourism was shot down by the 14day quarantine. Things can be done safely with mask wearing and social distancing. Especially college football. Heck, social distancing will be no problem at all at University Stadium because 1000 fans show up anyways. Let’s get back to normal. 

1 hour ago, robe said:

I agree but who else follows with them. California might sit out. But with SEC playing on the PAC12 just goes further behind. MWC might go on without California and join with the rest of P12

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

It gets worse, earlier today the governor announce that all recruiting has been suspended 2020- 2022 for UNM and NMSU. Sorry but our governor is the worsed and I'll leave it at that since politics is on the other side.

Where did you see this story regarding recruiting?  

I happen to disagree with those that are saying our governor is the worst. She's trying to save lives. Sports starved fans are willing to let people die so they can watch football, or basketball, golf, ffs! I don't get it. I've lost 3 people to this virus. We (family and friends), couldn't even visit them or even bury them, they had to be cremated. If closing down businesses and shutting down sports for this year, is what it takes to saves lives, then I'm all for it. I support our governor's actions in regards to her handling of this covid pandemic. Honestly, Im more bummed that I cant go camping overnight, than not watching football right now.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

15 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

I happen to disagree with those that are saying our governor is the worst. She's trying to save lives. Sports starved fans are willing to let people die so they can watch football, or basketball, golf, ffs! I don't get it. I've lost 3 people to this virus. We (family and friends), couldn't even visit them or even bury them, they had to be cremated. If closing down businesses and shutting down sports for this year, is what it takes to saves lives, then I'm all for it. I support our governor's actions in regards to her handling of this covid pandemic. Honestly, Im more bummed that I cant go camping overnight, than not watching football right now.

Sorry to hear about your losses.  One of my coworkers was like virus this, hoax that, until he thought his kid had it.  Why can't you go camping?  I'd imagine there is a ton of dispersed camping in New Mexico.

Can you blame the NM gov?  Albuquerque is clearly not a "college town" and It's not like UNM football is the hottest ticket in town by a long shot:  https://vebolife.com/top-ten-category/top-ten-sporting-events-in-new-mexico/   the gov needs to cut the cord completely so the Mountain West can add a worthy opponent.  

Terrible news you guys are now lump with the tiny FCS conference. Right or wrong your Governor doesn’t care about college athletics. Maybe she is right but it looks like the season is going on without you. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

4 minutes ago, robe said:

Terrible news you guys are now lump with the tiny FCS conference. Right or wrong your Governor doesn’t care about college athletics. Maybe she is right but it looks like the season is going on without you. 

Give it 3 more weeks and we'll see who will be playing and who won't.  Nothing about the current trend lines suggest football in next few months.  

NCAA and the nfl both need to delay their seasons to 2021. There’s been good news on the vaccine front, and if we’re able to get it mass produced and distributed and convince people to actually take it, then we should have this thing licked by January. Could have been a lot sooner, but that’s a conversation for the OT board.

If that’s the case, college football can kickoff January 30, conference championships may 1, army-navy game may 8, bowl games may 15-31 with Memorial Day hosting the traditional New Year’s Day/playoff games, and the national championship on June 12. 

The nfl can open February 11, with the regular season going through the first week of June, playoffs through june, and then, get ready for this: the super bowl on the Fourth of July. That’s right. Enjoy your americagasm. 

Then, you move each season up a month every year until we’re back to normal, so we’ll be back to an august/September start in 2025. If the NCAA and nfl work in concert to figure out when to have pro days, the draft, etc. it can work.

26 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Give it 3 more weeks and we'll see who will be playing and who won't.  Nothing about the current trend lines suggest football in next few months.  

I hate this, but you’re right. If we gave a s**t at all about having a football season, then we would’ve done what we needed to do back in May to try and limit the spread. 

3 hours ago, SJ PRIDE said:

Sorry to hear about your losses.  One of my coworkers was like virus this, hoax that, until he thought his kid had it.  Why can't you go camping?  I'd imagine there is a ton of dispersed camping in New Mexico.

Thanks. compared to the states around us, we’re alot better off, but that’s why i think she’s doing what she’s doing, so we don’t become like the states around us.
And yeah, not happy with why camping is not allowed here. We’re a wide open state with lots of room for social distancing. 
One reason I heard is because of the severe drought we’ve been having across the southwest. Bone dry and people camping and wanting to have fires is a dangerous mix.

We can visit camp grounds, just no overnight camping. Which is a-shame because we have a huge mountain range right in out own back yard.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

8 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

It gets worse, earlier today the governor announce that all recruiting has been suspended 2020- 2022 for UNM and NMSU. Sorry but our governor is the worsed and I'll leave it at that since politics is on the other side.

What??? That makes no sense whatsoever, is she trying to eliminate college sports from your state?

We all know New Mexico drives the bus.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Screw New Mexico, or even CA. We should keep the MWC games on the schedule where both schools are playing, and then only the schools that play get the prorated TV money. Then add games with available MWC schools that you weren’t going to be playing this year. So we might still have a 7 or 8 game conference schedule, and play whatever OOC schools that are willing to play. So we probably will only have a 9 or 11 game season for most MWC schools. If BYU loses some schools on their schedule, which they will, certain MWC schools could add BYU to their OOC line up. So some MWC schools could still get as many as 11 games or maybe even 12. 

kat.jpg

15 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

That’s what you get with lefty governors. We’re now supposed to have a vaccine ready from September to December. Trump has ordered 300 million doses from the one made by AstraZeneca which seems to be ahead of the others. And we’re first in line because of the money we paid them. The Phase 3 human trials won’t last too much longer because of its success with 1,100 people so far. 

kat.jpg