Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

New Mexico Governor asks UNM not to play football this year

First of many dominoes. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

She will not back off her mandate of a 2 week quarantine for ANYONE, coming into the state. “Quarantine for 2 weeks, or the length of your stay in NM, which ever is shortest”.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Maybe the Governor is just tired of watching terrible football...

In all seriousness, this is bad bad news. Any news out of California, Colorado, Hawaii, or Nevada? This feels just like how basketball season ended, albeit football is happening over a longer period. 

Would this be the final nail in the coffin for either NM or NMSU's budget problems? 

45 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Nobody will be playing this fall. Everyone should come to accept that at this point. 

The SEC will play, bank on it.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

8 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

She will not back off her mandate of a 2 week quarantine for ANYONE, coming into the state. “Quarantine for 2 weeks, or the length of your stay in NM, which ever is shortest”.

Can we please borrow Rocky for one more year?

6 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Can we please borrow Rocky for one more year?

You'll have to run that question by your current head coach! Im not sure what the relationship is anymore, between Rocky and Brady Hoke?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

41 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

You'll have to run that question by your current head coach! Im not sure what the relationship is anymore, between Rocky and Brady Hoke?

Think its more than fine. Your staff will turn your program quickly-glad to see it BTW!

I can see the season being cancelled, but I don't think its a rational decision The Hospitalization and Mortality rates are not that high....and quite low in key demographics.   Air Force will probably play Army and Navy no matter what.   

My guess is college football will be played, however I could see conferences following some NFL teams and play without fans.. There are still some potential plans for reduced fan seating in some MWC stadiums, but I believe that will change very soon. 

Unless something changes in the next three weeks, no one will be having football. Hell there may be no college sports at all.

The south is surging right now. Texas is about to accelerate right place Florida in the next ten days. If by the first week of August this is clearly not going down we will be looking at shut downs again.

9 hours ago, mondego said:

Maybe the Governor is just tired of watching terrible football...

In all seriousness, this is bad bad news. Any news out of California, Colorado, Hawaii, or Nevada? This feels just like how basketball season ended, albeit football is happening over a longer period. 

Would this be the final nail in the coffin for either NM or NMSU's budget problems? 

NMSU has an operating budget of $620M.  So over two years the school is at $1.4B.  I doubt a once in a lifetime pandemic will impact the 2021 season, no matter what decisions are made for 2020 college sports.  It's unfortunate for both players and fans, but with the current cases going up from coast to coast tough decisions will be required in the short term.  

11 hours ago, Warbow said:

The SEC will play, bank on it.

I agree but who else follows with them. California might sit out. But with SEC playing on the PAC12 just goes further behind. MWC might go on without California and join with the rest of P12

The Masters 5k road race All American.