Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada6077

2020 season

4 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Oh yeah. Heck Ill be there for sure if they play any games here. Masked up, gloved up, and sitting away from people, but I'd be there. There will be quite a few that would go, just to see a Danny G. and Rocky L. football team on the field, even with the threat of corona. 

I'm with you. If given the chance, I'll mask up and sit in the bleachers at Mackay; social distancing shouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

But why does it suck? Why is it better to have no season at all?

I misread your initial post.  I’m still not a fan of moving the season back more than a week or two and adjusting the schedule if needed.  I thought you were for skipping the season entirely.  My bad

4 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Why

I understand the NCAA will not allow two seasons in calendar one year due to increased injury and concussion risks.  Simply not sound practice medically

1 hour ago, Billings said:

I understand the NCAA will not allow two seasons in calendar one year due to increased injury and concussion risks.  Simply not sound practice medically

Thats why said to start the next several seasons late too and just keep pushing up the start date until we get back to an august/September start in 2025.

12 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

You think its a Rocky thing? He’s been gone for how many years now, and still no kitties on the schedule (one basically, scrimmage basketball game in the pit a couple of years ago).

Not sure its it was a Rocky thing, as much as a MWC thing... but who knows. BYU and UNM always battled back in the day. 

I’m not sure we are on the same page. Rocky Long has always given BYU fits. As far as no games I have no idea why it hasn’t happened yet. It seems like the schoolS are over the split. New Mexico was arguably our biggest basketball rival and when Rocky was there an extremely difficult late season game for the cougars in football. Unfortunately with realignment the flames of the rivalry are whimpering out. You now have 10 years of new fans with no connection and us old dogs with much less interest. 

I hated New Mexico. Sorry I no longer hate you guys. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

24 minutes ago, robe said:

I’m not sure we are on the same page. Rocky Long has always given BYU fits. As far as no games I have no idea why it hasn’t happened yet. It seems like the schoolS are over the split. New Mexico was arguably our biggest basketball rival and when Rocky was there an extremely difficult late season game for the cougars in football. Unfortunately with realignment the flames of the rivalry are whimpering out. You now have 10 years of new fans with no connection and us old dogs with much less interest. 

I hated New Mexico. Sorry I no longer hate you guys. 

Ah yeah, sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that it was because of Rocky not liking BYU, that we weren't scheduled, my bad. Allow me to play the ‘senile old man’ card on that one! lol

edit: and don’t forget, we’re huge women’s soccer rivals! lol.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

10 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Thats why said to start the next several seasons late too and just keep pushing up the start date until we get back to an august/September start in 2025.

Entire NCAA would have to do that or scheduling would be a mess and  many northern teams across the country would find it very difficult to play in January, February and late December

Clemson announces they will be strictly online classes until Sept 21.  That might be a precursor to the ACC reducing the schedule.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, Billings said:

Entire NCAA would have to do that or scheduling would be a mess and  many northern teams across the country would find it very difficult to play in January, February and late December

It would have to be an NCAA mandate, and yes, playing in the winter would be challenging for lots of schools, but skipping an entire season would be exponentially worse, wouldn’t it?

Why anyone thinks football will be played in the spring is beyond me, unless you're an XFL person.  Let's just see what really happens with upcoming (godawful) MLB reboot, NBA reboot, NHL reboot, and other reboots.  PGA is fine. Soccer is fine.  The US Open tennis is a Go.  The NCAA will not mandate anything; it's toothless and see NIL congressional intervention. 

Those That Can, Will.  Those sidelined, are sidelined.  Granted if things get really bad we're back to football in America's origin 1880s re local competition...take a horse/train/walk and play the closest team available a few times over. 

image.jpeg.5b47f3e5daf8477ba2e01aea5fa9c411.jpeg       image.jpeg.b646441784aef9eaa0382e58089ff24d.jpeg     Football in the 1920's | Jay   image.jpeg.a881b11787c53757fe72bf6830da3fe6.jpeg

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 7/22/2020 at 6:44 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Why

Because that system doesn't just mess with one season, it screws up many subsequent season.  We need a (roughly) 9/1 start date for FB to carry it's weight from a revenue standpoint.  No revenue this year would suck, but reduced revenue for multiple years could do too much long term damage for many schools to recover from.  The game could survive one spring season, but multiple years of competing against CBB (after the virus has been controlled supposedly) would be killer IMO.  We also don't have any certainty where things will be from a pandemic standpoint in February.

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Because that system doesn't just mess with one season, it screws up many subsequent season.  We need a (roughly) 9/1 start date for FB to carry it's weight from a revenue standpoint.  No revenue this year would suck, but reduced revenue for multiple years could do too much long term damage for many schools to recover from.  The game could survive one spring season, but multiple years of competing against CBB (after the virus has been controlled supposedly) would be killer IMO.  We also don't have any certainty where things will be from a pandemic standpoint in February.

I’m just trying to get you the same number of games over the same period of time with fans in the stands. I don’t see it working any other way.

And true, there is no certainty, but all news on the vaccine front has been good so far, and American life in general (not just sports) is not returning to normal until we have one. 

On 7/22/2020 at 3:51 PM, robe said:

BYU’s AD said if it happened today they would allow fans. They will follow the local Covid recommendation. I assume that is probably what the other schools will do who choose to play. 6 ft between non family members with 50% or what ever the restrictions are. 

That should allow about ten LDS families

The SWAC is looking at April to play the annual Bayou Classic between Grambling and Southern in the Superdome as part of a 7 game spring schedule.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

10 hours ago, Ibanez said:

But it's the havenots who are still planning on playing full seasons and kicking off as scheduled.

That’s not what I’m hearing.  The sec is on track and the acc is on the fence but leaning towards following the sec.  The aac will do whatever the sec does.  Pac 12 is a joke.  Big 12/10 made their bed too early, expect changes one way or the other from them.