Jump to content
bsu_alum9

Kaiden Bennett in the Portal Again

Recommended Posts

I try not to criticize college athletes for a number of reasons, but might have been a bit over the top when this QB commit left to a conference rival. 

It turns out we were all wrong about this kid and most of the criticism was grossly undeserved. The real reason for him leaving Boise was to be close to family while his father was undergoing cancer treatment and unsure if he was going to make it.

Now he’s in the portal again hoping for a more mobile-QB type of offense.

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/nevada-quarterback-kaiden-bennett-a-local-kid-enters-the-transfer-portal

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If there was going to be a football season this year, this news would be more upsetting than it already is.  The Pack is super thin at the QB position.  I thought Kaiden had a real chance of getting significant playing time.  This one stings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I try not to criticize college athletes for a number of reasons, but might have been a bit over the top when this QB commit left to a conference rival. 

It turns out we were all wrong about this kid and most of the criticism was grossly undeserved. The real reason for him leaving Boise was to be close to family while his father was undergoing cancer treatment and unsure if he was going to make it.

Now he’s in the portal again hoping for a more mobile-QB type of offense.

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/nevada-quarterback-kaiden-bennett-a-local-kid-enters-the-transfer-portal

The criticism was undeserved even if his father didn’t have cancer. It’s his life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really bummed, I was hoping he'd get a shot at the starting role this year.

 

After Strong, we have absolutely ZERO depth. We have that 6'7 Juco transfer that we were his only offer and then walk-ons. We better hope our o-line protects the QB better than last year, our this season could quickly turn ugly.

I don't know how we run the air raid, yet are so bad at keeping and developing quarterbacks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 12:17 PM, bigd said:

I'm really bummed, I was hoping he'd get a shot at the starting role this year.

After Strong, we have absolutely ZERO depth. We have that 6'7 Juco transfer that we were his only offer and then walk-ons. We better hope our o-line protects the QB better than last year, our this season could quickly turn ugly.

I don't know how we run the air raid, yet are so bad at keeping and developing quarterbacks.

Looks like he'll end up at Sac State. They return Big Sky OPOY Kevin Thompson (former UNLV Rebel) so he probably won't play this year but will be in a good position to play as a R-SO.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Looks like he'll end up at Sac State. They return Big Sky OPOY Kevin Thompson (former UNLV Rebel) so he probably won't play this year but will be in a good position to play as a R-SO.

 

I thought Thompson was transferring to Washington?

 

He will likely be in the running to start immediately. Troy Taylor has done an incredible job at Sac State, would be cool to see him in the MW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, bigd said:

I thought Thompson was transferring to Washington?

 

He will likely be in the running to start immediately. Troy Taylor has done an incredible job at Sac State, would be cool to see him in the MW.

Yeah thompson is headed to UW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 10:04 AM, jewelz4562000 said:

I thought he would get good PT in Boise.Guy had Madden high school numbers

Everybody who plays QB for Folsom puts up Madden numbers.  AFA landed a Folsom QB I was super excited about. Dano Graves.   Got beat out, and transferred to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigd said:

I thought Thompson was transferring to Washington?

He will likely be in the running to start immediately. Troy Taylor has done an incredible job at Sac State, would be cool to see him in the MW.

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

My bad.  Thompson was still on the Sac St. roster when I looked.  That's very good news for Bennett. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And Nevada replaces him with a JUCO transfer for this season:

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/juco-quarterback-jacob-barlage-will-join-nevada-for-the-2020-season

A 6-foot-1, 205 pounder, Barlage comes to Nevada after a standout season at Riverside (Calif.) College where he completed 69.2 percent of his passes for 2,786 yards, 30 touchdowns and five interceptions as the Tigers went 13-0 and averaged 49.6 points and 520.1 yards per game en route to the program's first CCCAA state championship. Barlage was a preseason first-team JC All-American on JCGridiron.com before signing with Nevada.

Barlage will be a true sophomore in 2020 with a redshirt year available. He will be eligible to play this fall for the Wolf Pack, which is scheduled to open up fall camp Friday.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, renoskier said:

And Nevada replaces him with a JUCO transfer for this season:

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/juco-quarterback-jacob-barlage-will-join-nevada-for-the-2020-season

A 6-foot-1, 205 pounder, Barlage comes to Nevada after a standout season at Riverside (Calif.) College where he completed 69.2 percent of his passes for 2,786 yards, 30 touchdowns and five interceptions as the Tigers went 13-0 and averaged 49.6 points and 520.1 yards per game en route to the program's first CCCAA state championship. Barlage was a preseason first-team JC All-American on JCGridiron.com before signing with Nevada.

Barlage will be a true sophomore in 2020 with a redshirt year available. He will be eligible to play this fall for the Wolf Pack, which is scheduled to open up fall camp Friday.

Nevada has so much talent at the skill positions.  I would say mid level P5 talent, easy.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nevada has so much talent at the skill positions.  I would say mid level P5 talent, easy.  

True, but our o-line would be below average in FCS. If they can even be average this year, we could be very good.

It's sad because that was always the strength of Ault coached teams.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish Sac State and Davis could join FBS and bring back the WAC. It's going to be a fun rivalry in the coming years if Hawkins and Taylor stick around.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...