Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFacts

150 Homeland Security Agents Being Sent to Chicago

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

No there's not. 

Of course not. Allowing the inmates to run asylum is a great way to run a city. :blink:

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Definitely. One must be wary of all power, but Apple won't sent "troops" to my city if we defy them. Though I wouldn't be shocked if Trump decides to bring back the Pinkertons in a second term.

Ha! Crap, I can see that.

Apple might not send troops, but they’ll poison your water and turn you into an indentured servant or worse if it’s in their interest to do so and if their power goes unchecked. 

Regardless of where the right balance is, we can agree that federal stormtroopers in American cities are over the line.

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Ha! Crap, I can see that.

Apple might not send troops, but they’ll poison your water and turn you into an indentured servant or worse if it’s in their interest to do so and if their power goes unchecked. 

Regardless of where the right balance is, we can agree that federal stormtroopers in American cities are over the line.

Agreed... though Apple only gets that power from the state or by consent of the state.  But that's a discussion for another time. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

17 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Definitely. One must be wary of all power, but Apple won't sent "troops" to my city if we defy them. Though I wouldn't be shocked if Trump decides to bring back the Pinkertons in a second term.

the Pinkertons are still around. They act more as a freelance FBI than goon squad these days but silicon valley companies hire them to spy on employees in coffee shops and whatnot to know of any talk that's bad for management. So... same type of shit they did 120 years ago really

6 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Of course not. Allowing the inmates to run asylum is a great way to run a city. :blink:

Generally we call that a republic

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

the Pinkertons are still around. They act more as a freelance FBI than goon squad these days but silicon valley companies hire them to spy on employees in coffee shops and whatnot to know of any talk that's bad for management. So... same type of shit they did 120 years ago really

Interesting... though I would say that they are doing work that other skeezy PI firms would do, or internal security would do. Different than cracking miners' skulls in the territories. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

It appears some think the elected officials of those smaller government entities are the inmates.

No, that's called anarchy. I'm not talking about letting the people run the government, I'm talking about letting the criminals run the show. That's what happened in Seattle with CHAZ/CHOP and it's what's happening in Portland. 

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Interesting... though I would say that they are doing work that other skeezy PI firms would do, or internal security would do. Different than cracking miners' skulls in the territories. 

Sure, but in general, "for pay anti labor work" is their wheelhouse still.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Sure, but in general, "for pay anti labor work" is their wheelhouse still.

I want some Pinkerton employee or corporate swag. Like, RIGHT NOW.

19 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

No, that's called anarchy. I'm not talking about letting the people run the government, I'm talking about letting the criminals run the show. That's what happened in Seattle with CHAZ/CHOP and it's what's happening in Portland. 

CRIMINALS! yes, people asking for less police violence are CRIMINALS! police who use ever increasing violence to... stop people from asking for less police violence are BETTER THAN CRIMINALS!!!!!!

CRIMINALS! yes, people asking for less police violence are CRIMINALS! police who use ever increasing violence to... stop people from asking for less police violence are BETTER THAN CRIMINALS!!!!!!

You're leaving out a lot of pertinent facts. Protesting is fine....I'm cool with it, even if it's something that I don't agree with (which is not the case in this situation). Once protesting becomes arson, vandalism and violence, then those protesters have become criminals. Felonious criminals, actually. If we're going to advocate for cops to be charged with crimes when they commit them, we cannot then turn a blind eye to those who commit crimes while protesting for that. If you don't see the irony in that, then I don't know what to tell you. 

22 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Recall the agents and let the cities sort themselves out if they must. The local governments don’t want them there, why should I care what happens in their cities. Let’s see how well things go. 

But if those federal buildings burn, there better not be one cent spent in those cities to rebuild them there. Let all that money and all those government jobs go to a place in the state willing to protect them. 

My sentiments exactly. Unfortunately, law abiding local citizens who want no part of the mayhem are having their rights infringed upon. 

1 minute ago, Slapdad said:

You're leaving out a lot of pertinent facts. Protesting is fine....I'm cool with it, even if it's something that I don't agree with (which is not the case in this situation). Once protesting becomes arson, vandalism and violence, then those protesters have become criminals. Felonious criminals, actually. If we're going to advocate for cops to be charged with crimes when they commit them, we cannot then turn a blind eye to those who commit crimes while protesting for that. If you don't see the irony in that, then I don't know what to tell you. 

so throwing a bottle at someone is felonious criminal behavior, but unconstitutional abductions, assault, property destruction is where civilization starts?

this is just teams and shit

so throwing a bottle at someone is felonious criminal behavior, but unconstitutional abductions, assault, property destruction is where civilization starts?

this is just teams and shit

Speaking of teams and shit, way to downplay what the rioters are doing and playing up what the police are doing. Throwing a bottle at someone is felonious criminal behavior if it hits and injures someone. So is arson. So is looting. "Unconstitutional abductions"?? Oh please....people are being detained and/or arrested for those crimes that we just talked about. Show me videos or pictures of these people being "abducted" for no reason.....I'd love to see them. What about all the stores that were looted and burned the past 50 days? If you do illegal shit, you should be arrested. If you're doing illegal shit to federal property and the city and state won't stop it, you'll be arrested by federal police...it's all very simple. 

26 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Speaking of teams and shit, way to downplay what the rioters are doing and playing up what the police are doing. Throwing a bottle at someone is felonious criminal behavior if it hits and injures someone. So is arson. So is looting. "Unconstitutional abductions"?? Oh please....people are being detained and/or arrested for those crimes that we just talked about. Show me videos or pictures of these people being "abducted" for no reason.....I'd love to see them. What about all the stores that were looted and burned the past 50 days? If you do illegal shit, you should be arrested. If you're doing illegal shit to federal property and the city and state won't stop it, you'll be arrested by federal police...it's all very simple. 

If it is your business getting burned or looted and the local authorities turn a blind eye, the feds being sent in to restore law and order is a god send. 

Why are local authorities letting violence and property damage go on for fifty days? What the phuck is wrong with them? 

It’s interesting that the mayor of Seattle was hands off CHAZ until they marched to her front door. The next few days CHAZ was evicted from their self proclaimed autonomous zone. 

30 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/17/portland-protests-federal-officers-george-floyd

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/20/christopher-david-portland-protest-video/

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/07/17/unidentified-police-arrests-oregon-lead-vpx.cnn

https://dailyhive.com/portland/portland-protest-snack-van-tires-slashed-video

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/07/police-shoot-portland-protester-in-head-with-impact-weapon-causing-severe-injuries.html

My man, the PPB has been more violent to people and property than the protesters. 

Just now, Bob said:

Kind of hilarious that democrats, leftists and the like who look to the federal government to provide for all things is incensed at the federal government providing protection and safety against violent protestors for law-abiding citizens.

protection against violent protesters for law abiding citizens? what do you think protesters do?

21 minutes ago, happycamper said:

protection against violent protesters for law abiding citizens? what do you think protesters do?

You may change your perspective when they come burn and loot your architecture firm. There are peaceful protestors in Portland.  There is also burning and looting every single night between 12:00am and 5:00am.  No one has an issue with the peaceful protestors.