Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFacts

150 Homeland Security Agents Being Sent to Chicago

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Agreed. Get the feds out. Let them burn the federal buildings if they must. But Portland doesn’t get them rebuilt. Perhaps Bend or some other community would be more open to protecting public property in times of unrest.

The feds have escalated significantly. Don’t be obtuse. now a protest that had slowly whittled to dozens of protestors has turned into thousands in direct response. Just what Portland needed.

And it’s not like the feds aren’t going to rebuild. Get real. Where else are they going to bungle the prosecutions of right-wing heroes like the Bundys?

Just now, East Coast Aztec said:

Government, proactive.  This is rarely an accurate statement, and it isn't one now.  This is a reactive response to federal buildings being damaged.  And sure enough, they made the problem worse somehow.

well and what is a "proactive arrest"? are they arresting people before they can dare commit a crime...?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

I don’t believe you should fear the government “especially in a democracy.” I’d fear an autocratic government more. I don’t think that was your point though. Regardless, this is some scary shit.

Why it’s hard to thread the needle? I don’t know. For the most part, we have managed to do it to varying degrees of success. But we’re not threading it well now.

I meant democracy is the form where you should especially fear both. I dont get the sense that theres  much to fear from the mob in a successful autocracy. I guess unless the mob is a proxy for the state, but then you are basically just fearing the state. 

But I do still fear the government in a democracy. I mean, what is more democratic than a mob?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

44 minutes ago, happycamper said:

well and what is a "proactive arrest"? are they arresting people before they can dare commit a crime...?

It's the thing the bill of rights exists to prevent. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper has expressed “concern” within the Trump administration about federal agents dressing up in military uniforms while handling protests and riots in places like Portland, Ore., chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said Tuesday.

“We want a system where people can tell the difference,” he told reporters.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/esper-concern-federal-agents-wearing-military-camo-uniforms

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I meant democracy is the form where you should especially fear both. I dont get the sense that theres  much to fear from the mob in a successful autocracy. I guess unless the mob is a proxy for the state, but then you are basically just fearing the state. 

But I do still fear the government in a democracy. I mean, what is more democratic than a mob?

Both Plato and I would agree

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Government, proactive.  This is rarely an accurate statement, and it isn't one now.  This is a reactive response to federal buildings being damaged.  And sure enough, they made the problem worse somehow.

It is too bad Obama didn't use powers of proactive arrests to arrest gun owners.   That may have prevented some shootings. 

Posted Image

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

A proactive arrest might be the scariest thing I have heard from the government, ever.

I mean that has to be the clearest definition of facism I have heard.

If anything this proves there is a whole lot of the Federal Government that immediately needs to be abolished. DHS is first up and ICE is on deck.

This whole episode immediately changed my vote to Libertarian. As far as I can tell, both major parties want to shred the Bill of Rights. 

You win @BSUTOP25

4 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It's the attitude here that is most concerning. Whether or not they truly "proactively arrested" people, the fact they feel they have a clear mandate to do so is scary as +++++.

I mean I don't think it is something that should be easily dismissed. Or even chalked up to incompetence. 

Its patently anti-American.

4 hours ago, NVGiant said:

The feds have escalated significantly. Don’t be obtuse. now a protest that had slowly whittled to dozens of protestors has turned into thousands in direct response. Just what Portland needed.

And it’s not like the feds aren’t going to rebuild. Get real. Where else are they going to bungle the prosecutions of right-wing heroes like the Bundys?

Hopefully Idaho, it’s their turn.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

Bait GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Don't bite, suckers

Oh really?  Why should people be whisked away for exercising certain constitutional rights and not others?  There cons were always hyperventilating about Obamas federal agents coming for their guns.   I don't make this stiff up!  This is just more pure hypocrisy. 

Posted Image

3 hours ago, Akkula said:

Oh really?  Why should people be whisked away for exercising certain constitutional rights and not others?  There cons were always hyperventilating about Obamas federal agents coming for their guns.   I don't make this stiff up!  This is just more pure hypocrisy. 

Just watched an interview with the Chicago police chief.  They have confiscated over 5 thousand guns since the first of the year in Chicago.  I’m sure some of them were purchased legally etc but I’ll bet money that the majority of them weren’t.  I’m not for preemptive arrests either but taking legally purchased guns by law abiding citizens is just as dumb.

16 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Uhhh yeah. In what universe would anyone try to prevent someone from burning their house down, retreat to avoid further violence, and then be expected to replace the damage by the same people who destroyed it? That’s ludicrous reasoning beyond childish logic. If the city of Portland wanted those buildings and all that comes with them, they absolutely have the resources to prevent their destruction. They do not care to, that’s why the feds are there to begin with. 

Lol at you constantly assuming the cops and Feds are good-faith actors. It’s clear you’ve never been on the ground

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

56 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

Just watched an interview with the Chicago police chief.  They have confiscated over 5 thousand guns since the first of the year in Chicago.  I’m sure some of them were purchased legally etc but I’ll bet money that the majority of them weren’t.  I’m not for preemptive arrests either but taking legally purchased guns by law abiding citizens is just as dumb.

Can you imagine the right wing freak out if Obama sent the Bureau of Prisons and Parks Police to started abducting and disarming right wing hillbilly re-open protestors to prevent violence?  Anyone taking a gun to a protest gets disarmed?  Do you remember how indignant this board was about how they had the right to protest?  OH MY GOD....you cannot even imagine...we have people who think David Koresch is a hero...what would they do if Obama just rolled up to cliven hillbilly land and just forced some of these guys into cars and disarmed them to prevent some protest.

Posted Image

20 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I don't think many of you understand how close we are to actual, bloody armed civil war.

You should begin to think in those terms.  If you don't think it can happen here you are sadly mistaken.

Think, really, really hard about this and if this is the country you want your kids to grow up in because it's coming.

Law and order is foundational.

nothing else works without it.

I agree. That's why we need to get rid of the authoritarian c*ntmonkey occupying the WH who has zero respect for either.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg