Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

Next Stimulus Strategy

Now that it is time to do a stimulus again the McConnell is try go negotiate a cheapskate bill.  Oh....look....the deficit scolds have now returned!  He wants to put all these liability provisions in the bill and cut off unemployment benefits as a way to strong arm people to go back to work in an unsafe environment with the virus spreading like wildfire.  They gave all these PPP loans to people who didn't need the money last time and didn't even spend a lot of the money...total disaster.

How about this?  Pelosi just needs to put up a clean extension of unemployment, a clean bill to make another stimulus payment, and a clean bill to fund states to do testing and then they just need to run attack ads in the various states with Republicans in senate races.  "You voted for these last time and we cut out the PPP Loans to help the deficit...what has changed this time?

These people need to explain loud and clear why they support McConnel and why they don't support these three popular bills.  Watch these people fold like a cheap tent.  Why negotiate when you are in such a good position?  Let those Senators defend themselves and speak out on their position on all three bills.

Posted Image

More pork will go the wealthy and politically connected. The rest of us will get a token crumb or two. Just like the last time.

Crooked, bought and paid for politicians delivering the pork for their paymasters. Nothing to see here. Move along.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Okay, so politically the Republicans have the most to gain by doing any type of stimulus to help the failing economy.  Why are the Democrats thinking they have to run around and make all these concessions?  It is almost like someone is running around with the a gun pointed to their own head yelling, "Give me confederate base names and austerity or I will shoot the hostage!  Don't make me do it!"  Stupid  

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Akkula said:

Okay, so politically the Republicans have the most to gain by doing any type of stimulus to help the failing economy.  Why are the Democrats thinking they have to run around and make all these concessions?  It is almost like someone is running around with the a gun pointed to their own head yelling, "Give me confederate base names and austerity or I will shoot the hostage!  Don't make me do it!"  Stupid  

Fact.

During the last border funding bill the House had a funding package that covered Humanitarian costs on top of the bare bones enforcement budget the Senate passed. Moscow Mitch and Trump told the House it was their Bill or no Bill.  Take it or leave it.

We got the bare bones Trumpian Bill.

Americans Mayor

Well, it looks like the GOP can't get their shit together.  Pelosi should say when they pass their bill to just extend unemployment to the end of the year and to do another payout, "They don't need to negotiate with us, they need to negotiate with the American people and explain why they they won't just re-do the same thing they did last time."  The house should pass the bills and leave town.

Posted Image

go to job attached layoff vs extra unemployment IMO. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I hope they at least do $300 for unemployment plus some sort of bonus for people that had hours cut or were essential. Probably too much of a mess to figure out who’s eligible though. 

I feel bad for the people that will get laid off this week and won’t receive any of the extra money.

Even if you don’t give a shit about unemployed people, the economic impact would be devastating if they just completely cut off the extra $600. A back to work payment would be good; but as reopenings are rolled back most people that want to go back to work aren’t going to have a job to go back to. 

15 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Even if you don’t give a shit about unemployed people, the economic impact would be devastating if they just completely cut off the extra $600. A back to work payment would be good; but as reopenings are rolled back most people that want to go back to work aren’t going to have a job to go back to. 

The idiots still don't realize is the last thing you want to do is force open schools and businesses before the virus is under control.   Pay people to stay home and don't squander the gains by giving mixed messages like the failure of the past 3 months. 

Posted Image

McConnell gets a kick out of being "Grim Reaper" of legislation?  Time to make him own that moniker.  The Grim Reaper is holding up the covid funds to needy families and people like Cory Gardner and Susan Collins are the only reason he is in power.  These guys want to talk about cutting unemployment so the "lazy workers" have incentive to get back to work?  That is pretty rich coming from a senate who has literally done ZERO legislation other than tax cuts for the wealthy for 10 years.

Posted Image

Socializing the losses and privatizing the gains has been going on for far too long. @Akkula you and I don't agree on much economically, but I think we can agree big corporations shouldn't be getting bailouts. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

I still think a debt jubilee is the best option.  There’s going to be a great debt reset soon anyway. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

I still think a debt jubilee is the best option.  There’s going to be a great debt reset soon anyway. 

The first rule of fight club...you do not talk about fight club.

fight club GIF

Posted Image

It looks like Trump is going to try to give Herbert Hoover a run for his money.  He and Trump believe austerity and tariffs are the great tools to combat depressions.  Cut off all the payments and tell those lazy workers to go back to work at all those non-existent jobs.  When they have no money to pay rent and buy groceries that won't cause a giant snowball.  While you are at it, why don't you give some tax cuts to the rich that they will just stick into their already fat bank accounts!

Posted Image

Whatever happened with Trump's proposal to let people borrow against their Social Security at low interest rates ?

I am down with that. It temporarily raises the deficit, but, with a payback provision that helps both those in need and the Treasury.

Americans Mayor

On 7/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, mugtang said:

Something is going to happen.  We are spending sooooo much money that everyone seems numb to it.  What is another trillion?  This gets paid back some kind of way....but there are only really two ways.  Higher taxes or devaluing the dollar.  $6T spent so far on Covid response and there are folks on this thread comparing it to austerity.  :hookah: