Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

BASEBALL!!

13 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

yes, for now.  like the DH in the national league "this extra innings shit" is just a 2020 thing.  Could be made permanent, but TBD.

I hope this is just for 2020. Even with the player put on second base the game still went 13 innings so it isn’t like the game was shorter. Hell it went almost five hours long. 

Anyone notice a lot of good hitters aren’t starting out very well? And it’s not confined to the Dodgers. Lack of spring training? 

21 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

I may be a Dodger fan, but I would be rooting for a Giants pitcher or any pitcher that threw some chin music at Springer, Altuve, or any other Astro player that was part of that team. The MLB brought this on themselves and opened the floodgates to vigilante justice. Joe Kelly won't be the last pitcher to do this.

This is what disappoints me. I was looking forward to a season of hating the Astros and enjoying what they had coming to them. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

13 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I hope this is just for 2020. Even with the player put on second base the game still went 13 innings so it isn’t like the game was shorter. Hell it went almost five hours long. 

Anyone notice a lot of good hitters aren’t starting out very well? And it’s not confined to the Dodgers. Lack of spring training? 

perhaps?  there was a spring training in february and march before everything was shut down for four months.  as for the 13 inning game, I did notice there was no interest in moving the baserunner along be it as a sacrifice bunt or otherwise.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:41 PM, renoskier said:

So this extra inning shit, is it just a 2020 thing? 

...please 

Most likely. But honestly I really won't mind if they copied the NHL in this regard. Have on OT rule for the regular season and a different one for the playoff. For the MLB putting a player on 2nd should reduce the average length of "overtime" games and the NHL's format both reduces the length (opens up ice, more chance for goals) and eliminates ties (shootout if no goal in OT).   

4 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

perhaps?  there was a spring training in february and march before everything was shut down for four months.  as for the 13 inning game, I did notice there was no interest in moving the baserunner along be it as a sacrifice bunt or otherwise.

Really it is kinda like the college football OT. If you are batting first doesn't necessarily make sense to bunt/sac fly the runner and burn two outs (ie like kicking a fg in college football OT) but if you are batting 2nd and know it only take a fg (or one run) to win then that strategy could come more into play.  

8 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Most likely. But honestly I really won't mind if they copied the NHL in this regard. Have on OT rule for the regular season and a different one for the playoff. For the MLB putting a player on 2nd should reduce the average length of "overtime" games and the NHL's format both reduces the length (opens up ice, more chance for goals) and eliminates ties (shootout if no goal in OT).   

Hardly anyone sac bunts any more. However, in extra innings and a guy on second with no outs I would bunt the guy over to third particularly when they have a shift on against a left handed batter. 

Meanwhile, sports doing the bubblizing seem to be doing just fine.

If there's going to be nobody in the stands, there's no point playing at home.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 hours ago, RSF said:

Meanwhile, sports doing the bubblizing seem to be doing just fine.

If there's going to be nobody in the stands, there's no point playing at home.

You have to consider all the logistics. The "bubble" is possible for the NBA because there's 22 teams with 15 players and they're only playing 8 games before starting the playoffs. The "bubble" works for MLS because they went right into a tournament format and aren't playing very many games. I think such a set up for MLB with 30 teams, each with 30 man rosters, and playing 60 games would be almost impossible to confine to a "bubble". The same is true for the 32 team NFL with 53 man rosters.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

You have to consider all the logistics. The "bubble" is possible for the NBA because there's 22 teams with 15 players and they're only playing 8 games before starting the playoffs. The "bubble" works for MLS because they went right into a tournament format and aren't playing very many games. I think such a set up for MLB with 30 teams, each with 30 man rosters, and playing 60 games would be almost impossible to confine to a "bubble". The same is true for the 32 team NFL with 53 man rosters.

3 bubbles.  West, Central and East.  10 teams each. 1 to 2 stadiums in each bubble.  The MLB schedule is set up perfectly for it. NHL is doing it that way.  I agree that football is more problematic.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 7/30/2020 at 9:16 PM, soupslam1 said:

This is turning out to be a glorified exhibition season. Whomever wins the Series if it goes that long will have a big asterisk placed on it. 

I disagree with the asterisk part. All teams are playing under the same conditions. Who says we need a 1000 game season to determine a winner? I think the baseball season is too long to begin with. ...60 games , 50 games who cares...it's the supposed best of the best playing. Play what ever amount of games and winner takes all. No asterisk in my book. 

2 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I disagree with the asterisk part. All teams are playing under the same conditions. Who says we need a 1000 game season to determine a winner? I think the baseball season is too long to begin with. ...60 games , 50 games who cares...it's the supposed best of the best playing. Play what ever amount of games and winner takes all. No asterisk in my book. 

We are already seeing the Marlins crippled by the virus and  some key players refusing to play. Games being postponed and we are barely a week into the season. This season means nothing. 

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

We are already seeing the Marlins crippled by the virus and  some key players refusing to play. Games being postponed and we are barely a week into the season. This season means nothing. 

Yeah a 16 team playoff would be fun but you kinda need to put an asterisk by it. NBA/NHL no asterisk. They basically played the full regular season and the only thing really changing is no home crowd. That never seemed to matter much in the NHL and although it makes a difference in the NBA not a large enough difference to pu an asterisk. 

College football and NFL would also very likely need an asterisk by their champion but we will see.