Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

BASEBALL!!

Crazy end to this 1985 WS game 6 - Bad call at 1st, give the Royals an opening .........the jack Clark doesn't get foul pop & Steve Balboni singles...........then a broken bat blooper to right gave an extra second or two as Andy Van Slyke made a great throw to home plate -------this oldster remembers it well  :oldman:  , I was 25 back then :crying:

19 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Buehler went Friday and Urias Saturday. I would tend to bring both back to back on four days rest. It’s been a short season and both didn’t labor that hard in their last start. Going with the bullpen on Tuesday is asking for the Rays to tie the series and anything can happen in a game seven. 

No bullpen game tomorrow, they are going with Gonsolin on normal rest and as a starter, not an opener. Buehler hasn't ever started on short rest and is still healing from his blister issue. Anything can happen in game 7, but anything that happens in game 7 could also happen in game 6 and then you are back where you started from.

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Crazy end to this 1985 WS game 6 - Bad call at 1st, give the Royals an opening .........the jack Clark doesn't get foul pop & Steve Balboni singles...........then a broken bat blooper to right gave an extra second or two as Andy Van Slyke made a great throw to home plate -------this oldster remembers it well  :oldman:  , I was 25 back then :crying:

The losing pitcher, in the game, played baseball in HS with my uncle. He said he saw him rob a HR like Cody Bellinger did vs the Padres, and threw the guy out at home, who was trying to tag from third

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

What do you and I have in common? Were both old enough to remember watching that game. At least our memories still function. 

5 minutes ago, crixus said:

What do you and I have in common? Were both old enough to remember watching that game. At least our memories still function. 

Was a Royals fan from 1970 to early 2000's, was born in KC & most family was still there so we'd go back all the time.........so even though I was out in Reno & Vegas I adopted the KC Royals & Chiefs...........so from 1976 to 1985 (my 16 to 25 ages) the Royals were always good...........little did I know that when they walked off a WS winners the next night, I wouldn't see the Royals in the playoffs for 20-30 years..........by the time they went to the 2014 WS & Won the 2015 WS, may fandom had waned into being a casual baseball fan in a generic sense.

Similar with Chiefs, was 9 when they won SB 4, barely even knew they played it..............and by the time they won again in 2019 season, 50 years had passed and now I can watch the Chiefs with little emotion.............and can watch the Raiders without the hate i used to have and even with a modicum of interest in the Raiders now that they are a local team - Though I admit, say LV had landed the Jaguars, Colts, or any other team I'd be much more on the bandwagon - even the Chargers coming to LV would be easier to adopt than the Raiders - Least the Raiders have a MWC QB and some MWC players !!

13 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Was a Royals fan from 1970 to early 2000's, was born in KC & most family was still there so we'd go back all the time.........so even though I was out in Reno & Vegas I adopted the KC Royals & Chiefs...........so from 1976 to 1985 (my 16 to 25 ages) the Royals were always good...........little did I know that when they walked off a WS winners the next night, I wouldn't see the Royals in the playoffs for 20-30 years..........by the time they went to the 2014 WS & Won the 2015 WS, may fandom had waned into being a casual baseball fan in a generic sense.

Similar with Chiefs, was 9 when they won SB 4, barely even knew they played it..............and by the time they won again in 2019 season, 50 years had passed and now I can watch the Chiefs with little emotion.............and can watch the Raiders without the hate i used to have and even with a modicum of interest in the Raiders now that they are a local team - Though I admit, say LV had landed the Jaguars, Colts, or any other team I'd be much more on the bandwagon - even the Chargers coming to LV would be easier to adopt than the Raiders - Least the Raiders have a MWC QB and some MWC players !!

I've been to KC and it's a nice city. And being a history buff made it even better. St. Louis may be the gateway to the west, but KC is the gateway to the Wild West. And then there's the old train station (still used) that had a Mafia shootout. And KC has more fountains than Paris, the city of fountains. The winters are too cold for me, but I'm SoCal spoiled. And I'm pretty sure the Royals logo was based on the Dodgers logo. 

10 minutes ago, crixus said:

I've been to KC and it's a nice city. And being a history buff made it even better. St. Louis may be the gateway to the west, but KC is the gateway to the Wild West. And then there's the old train station (still used) that had a Mafia shootout. And KC has more fountains than Paris, the city of fountains. The winters are too cold for me, but I'm SoCal spoiled. And I'm pretty sure the Royals logo was based on the Dodgers logo. 

My dad & mom all born in KC way back when - Dad took a Fed Govt job when i was 2 so we ended up in Reno in 1962 - Don't ever remember living in KC

Fun side note on the KC Massacre - Story my dad told me.... he was 18 on that date said he & some friends were sitting in a car that evening up the hill from Union Station & cops surrounded them thinking they may have been part of Pretty Boy Floyds gang - Said the cops had guns out & rousted them until they were told to go home 

Can see Union Station in photo - they were in the park area near the WWI memorial

image.png

Kansas City Massacre/“Pretty Boy” Floyd

https://www.fbi.gov/history/famous-cases/kansas-city-massacre-pretty-boy-floyd

On the morning of June 17, 1933, a mass murder committed in front of Union Railway Station in Kansas City, Missouri shocked the American public

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

My dad & mom all born in KC way back when - Dad took a Fed Govt job when i was 2 so we ended up in Reno in 1962 - Don't ever remember living in KC

Fun side note on the KC Massacre - Story my dad told me.... he was 18 on that date said he & some friends were sitting in a car that evening up the hill from Union Station & cops surrounded them thinking they may have been part of Pretty Boy Floyds gang - Said the cops had guns out & rousted them until they were told to go home 

Can see Union Station in photo - they were in the park area near the WWI memorial

image.png

Kansas City Massacre/“Pretty Boy” Floyd

https://www.fbi.gov/history/famous-cases/kansas-city-massacre-pretty-boy-floyd

On the morning of June 17, 1933, a mass murder committed in front of Union Railway Station in Kansas City, Missouri shocked the American public

That train station is supposed to be haunted. I saw a show about it and most of the overnight employees have had experiences with the other side

1 minute ago, crixus said:

That train station is supposed to be haunted. I saw a show about it and most of the overnight employees have had experiences with the other side

Last time I was inside was 2000 - had a Boulevard Brewing Bar in there - Remember it was closed for a decade or two once train travel ceased to be a thing in late 60's - Then Crown Center was built near by and by 2010's the area had come back with redevelopment & the Arena 

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Rays will win tonight and take the Series to a seventh game. I hope I'm wrong, I want LA to win! 

Los Angeles Dodgers Print | Etsy

54 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Roberts has a lot more confidence in Gonsolin than I do. If he gets through three innings with only one run scored it will be a semi miracle. Didn’t get the chance, didn’t last two innings. 

Last night when I read that Roberts was going with a bullpen crew after Gonsolin pitches a couple of innings I had a bad feeling. Bullpen games don't work very often. If they did every team would do it all the time. Remember the good ol' days when starters went 8 or 9 innings on a fairly consistent basis.

I think we'll see Jansen take the mound sometime tonight. Just a gut feeling. I used to have a gut to back it up, but I've lost it by running. B)

5 minutes ago, crixus said:

I think we'll see Jansen take the mound sometime tonight. Just a gut feeling. I used to have a gut to back it up, but I've lost it by running. B)

I hope you’re right. :thumbsup: