Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

BASEBALL!!

11 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Lead off single to start the 9th...

here we go batman GIF

Margot is having a ball on the biggest stage.  He's almost making the Padres regret trading him.

On a completely unrelated topic, but it is baseball. Is Bellinger’s swing too much of an uppercut? Swinging that way your chances at solid contact are much lower than a more level swing. I think he would still have the same number of homers, but he would hit for a higher average and not strike out so much. 

OTOH his muscle memory may be so ingrained from years of swinging like that he wouldn’t be able to change. 

29 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

He was a pretty solid closer for Oakland I believe. @Joe from WY any good things you can say about Treinen? 

13 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I don't get why LA doesn't use Treinen as the closer. Jansen is awful and has been shit all year. 

He was really great in 2018, historically great. Last year he was hurt and not as effective. When he's healthy though, he's got nasty, nasty stuff. 

25 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

On a completely unrelated topic, but it is baseball. Is Bellinger’s swing too much of an uppercut? Swinging that way your chances at solid contact are much lower than a level swing. I think he would still have the same number of homers, but he would hit for a higher average and not strike out so much. 

OTOH his muscle memory may be so ingrained from years of swinging like that he wouldn’t be able to change. 

Bellinger actually revamped his swing to be less of an uppercut after his sophomore slump. He strikes out a lot, but everybody strikes out a lot and most of the league strikes out more. It’s part of the revolution of launch angle (the angle of degree the ball comes off the bat) and exit velocity (how hard someone hits the piss out of the ball). A lot of baseball is just home runs, walks, and strikeouts, which kinda sucks but thats what the math says produces the most runs and therefore wins.

2018-vs-2019-bellinger.gif
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/how-simple-changes-to-cody-bellingers-swing-took-the-dodgers-outfielder-from-all-star-to-mvp/amp/

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

34 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I thought they announced Buehler isn't going until game 7?

Yeah, the graphic they showed was greasy Jesus going again like game 2 with Buehler starting game 7. Another bullpen game.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Margot is having a ball on the biggest stage.  He's almost making the Padres regret trading him.

That guy is fun. To piggyback off Soup’s Bellinger question, you really miss old school baseball when you see a guy like him or Mookie Betts on the base paths.

Anyway, I’m gonna go yell at a cloud.

25 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yeah, the graphic they showed was greasy Jesus going again like game 2 with Buehler starting game 7. Another bullpen game.

Now the question is... bullpen will be stretched thin in game 6, how big will the lead need to be for Roberts to perhaps throw Buehler in there for 3 innings to close the series out?

I think it would be stupid to give away a big lead in game 6 by sticking with Baez, Kelly, etc. with your best pitcher sitting in the dugout.

14 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

That guy is fun. To piggyback off Soup’s Bellinger question, you really miss old school baseball when you see a guy like him or Mookie Betts on the base paths.

Anyway, I’m gonna go yell at a cloud.

Austin Barnes put on a successful squeeze play for a run.  And hit a hr himself later in game 3.

12 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Now the question is... bullpen will be stretched thin in game 6, how big will the lead need to be for Roberts to perhaps throw Buehler in there for 3 innings to close the series out?

I think it would be stupid to give away a big lead in game 6 by sticking with Baez, Kelly, etc. with your best pitcher sitting in the dugout.

They won’t throw Buehler out unless we’re in inning 17. Any scenario where he’d pitch means it would be a massacre of both bullpens. No way. Go into game 7 with Buehler and Kershaw alone if that’s what it takes, with everyone else’s arms detached from their body, before doing that.

I'm so glad LA won tonight, I don't think I can take another late inning loss. Day off tomorrow (players, staff and fans) all need it.

Go Dodgers! 

6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They won’t throw Buehler out unless we’re in inning 17. Any scenario where he’d pitch means it would be a massacre of both bullpens. No way. Go into game 7 with Buehler and Kershaw alone if that’s what it takes, with everyone else’s arms detached from their body, before doing that.

Urias may be available for game 6.  He certainly will be for 7 if needed.

2 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

Made me cringe when Joe Buck said Jansen was a lockdown closer. Dude gives me a heart attack every time he takes the mound. 

Speaking of hearts, Jansen had heart surgery due to serious atrial fibrillation problems and hasn't been the same since. But he's a trooper and I admire that (plus he's the team's all time leader in saves). Kenley doesn't pitch in Denver anymore because the high altitude puts him at greater risk. I hope he gets a WS ring now so he can retire soon. I like the guy and want him to go out on top.

2 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I thought they announced Buehler isn't going until game 7?

That's right.

Buehler went Friday and Urias Saturday. I would tend to bring both back to back on four days rest. It’s been a short season and both didn’t labor that hard in their last start. Going with the bullpen on Tuesday is asking for the Rays to tie the series and anything can happen in a game seven.